Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I originally suggested this idea in the "what have you done with your 981 recently" thread. I'd like to get together with a few like-minded individuals for a drive and perhaps food somewhere around the general SF Bay Area. It will have to be a weekend event for me since I'm at work late every day during the week.

This coming weekend (Sept. 23+24) is out for me due to other engagements, but I can pretty much do any weekend after that with some schedule shuffling.

If you're interested in getting together, post here with available dates for the next few weekends, and some suggestions of where to drive and what we might do for food or a break along the way.

I know there's some PCA-GG Boxster event at Alice's coming up in October. I'm open to crashing their party if it won't cause undue problems. (Maybe some members here can find out?)

Here's some driving suggestions:
1) CA-1 well north or south of the bay. Going south we can get lunch in Monterey.
2) Mine's Road out of Livermore. I think there's a restaurant somewhere way up there. Need to check.
3) Highway 9, Skyline, 17 out to the coast and back. Maybe lunch at Alice's.

Other types of cars and enthusiasts welcome. Also, this is not any kind of forum sanctioned event.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I think you just volunteered to lead a Drive for GGR... I bet if you contacted them, they would be very willing to let you organize it.
One thing, PCA "driving tours" do have some rules and especially have PCA backed insurance (its free to the region for such events).
Our Region, Yosemite, will have its "annual" Yosemite Drive, this year going through the park, over Tioga Pass and down to Lee Vining. All PCA'ers are welcome!
GGR has something set for Oct 7th also, ... check their website. A lot of the "fun runs" seem to wind down in the Nov Dec time... But, again, give it a try!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I had something much smaller in mind, but if there's enough interest I might be willing to go that route. I planned to join GGR at some point anyway, so it may be time to go ahead and do that. I'll look at the drive schedule on their site to make sure there's no conflict for sure.

What's the story behind the event insurance? Have PCA groups run into issues in the past?

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
the event insurance is a PCA national thing -- all about risk management. the PCA insurance for "drives" or "tours" is free to the regions. PCA insurance for track days is another matter, which makes sense. The other big thing is that participants sign a "wavier" at the beginning of any driving event -- tour or track, whatever. Its all part of the risk management for protecting PCA. Which is just FINE!

This may sound like an advertisement, but to your point, do join PCA -- GGR is a great group of people and you'll surely find some like minded folks to enjoy your car with !!
Cost is surprisingly low ($46 per year) --- go to Porsche Club of America | and click on the "JOIN PCA" button. And you get this really pretty good magazine "Panorama" from national.
see you down the road. D

·
Registered
374 Posts
PCA/GGR drives are fun. It matters to me that I can be assured I'm not going on a run with people who will put lives at risk and expect me to do the same to keep up. I would hope most informal get-togethers would take that approach, but there's a fair amount about "how do you know?" to consider.

The cars and the people are both pretty great; a variety of both.

Reactions: D&D
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.