Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Cayman S is equipped with PASM and PTV... My previous 2.7 Cayman had the X73 suspension and it had much better steering, it was sharper and more responsive. In contrast the PASM is sluggish and lacking precision. I'm curious if this has to do with the different sway bars? Looking online there are several options including a front GT3 bar and X73 rear.

Would upgrading the sway bars give me back the scalpel-like steering I had with X73?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Is it this way with PASM set to firm also?

Sway bars would help some I'd expect but there's usually more than that involved in getting what you're looking for. Shock valving and spring rates usually play into it also.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Feels to me like firm PASM does steer quicker. I have 20" wheels, if that matters. But the 914 steers lots quicker.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Look into the tires as the difference. Or you need an alignment.

PASM or x73 will not make steering so different.

When I tried PASM, I could not tell any difference in anything (steering, firmness, or comfort) between normal and on mode personally.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Look into the tires as the difference. Or you need an alignment.

PASM or x73 will not make steering so different.

When I tried PASM, I could not tell any difference in anything (steering, firmness, or comfort) between normal and on mode personally.
I notice the difference most on speed bumps.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
My new Cayman S is equipped with PASM and PTV... My previous 2.7 Cayman had the X73 suspension and it had much better steering, it was sharper and more responsive. In contrast the PASM is sluggish and lacking precision. I'm curious if this has to do with the different sway bars? Looking online there are several options including a front GT3 bar and X73 rear.

Would upgrading the sway bars give me back the scalpel-like steering I had with X73?

Thanks.

SS:

I'd start with the simple stuff. Tire inflation, tire sizes and tire brands between the two cars. PASM should be pretty good. In the non-sport setting, it won't feel as tightly wound as X73, but steering should feel very similar.

I put TPC sway bars on my Gen1 with PASM and they really transformed the handling. If you get their "Quiet Links" which are shortened Porsche links, at least on Gen1, they won't make noises. They're adjustable. Put them at the settings they recommend for your car and you'll love em. They made my PASM car a touch stiffer riding, but well worth it.

After making sure you don't have low front tire inflation, I'd get a 4-wheel alignment. It's often shocking how brand-new cars are delivered out of alignment. A good alignment will make the car more fun and save a lot of premature tire wear.

I know 981s are a lot different from Gen1 Caymans but suspension is suspension. If the front end feels lazy, there's probably a simple solution.

A little toe-out in front, and I mean just a little over "zero toe" (dead straight), will help the car feel more willing to turn in.

If the front is toed-in too much, which I'm guessing yours is, the car will feel quite happy going straight but doesn't "like" to turn.

If it's toed-out too much, it will feel darty and be hard to keep in the lane.

On my car, 1/32" or so total toe-out in front works right for me. I think 1/32" translates to 1 or 2 degrees. I wouldn't go more than 2. \

I don't know the factory settings on either my car or the 981s. I toe my rear suspension IN a little bit...2/32" lately. That would be 2 or 3 degrees, I think.

Hope this is at least a little bit helpful.

:cheers:

Reactions: Spotshooter

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not sure if it was mentioned, but the electromechanical steering in 981s also changes road feel and steering to some extent. But, tires and alignment certainly make a huge difference as well.

·
Registered
556 Posts

Thanks.
Are you running the same tires and tire specs that you did on the 2.7?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My previous x73 Cayman was a 2014.

I'm going to look into an alignment... this new car does not like to turn. I think the GT3 Sway Bar will also be added.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Before messing with the sway bars I would measure whether they are the problem.

That is relatively easy to do by taping a small webcam like thing to the fender so that it records the wheel-to-fender gap while you are zooming around. The sway bar "only" prevents excessive suspension compression which takes away from the steering feel. If the cam footage shows no significant compression a different sway bar would not help.

I think doing a different (not stock) wheel alignment would be the first thing I'd try after that, because it is easily reversible and the whole thing is cheap. You just need to get confident in some set of non-stock measurements to give to the alignment person.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Sway bar isn't going to do anything to help steering. It will tighten up things and give a bit more traction at the limit, which will introduce more under or over steer. I would not touch just the front or back swap bar unless you know what you're doing. Its not as simple as 'get a thicker/ hard bar for improved handling,' but rather a fine balance with the whole suspension. You will upset the balance that Porsche spent a lot of time and money engineering.

Again, steering feel is highly based on your tires and alignment.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Checking alignment and tire pressures are good ideas. But if you find they’re within spec, I’m not sure how much I’d monkey around with them. My guess is that what you’re describing is the slower turn-in on the PASM vs. the X73. It is one of the things I did not like about PASM that the X73 definitely addresses. My bet is that it’s the sway bars.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I put the GT3 front sway on the front and a X73 on the back of my PASM cayman and I have been very happy with the improved feel.

Got PASM because of all the scrape places around where I live.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I put the GT3 front sway on the front and a X73 on the back of my PASM cayman and I have been very happy with the improved feel.

Got PASM because of all the scrape places around where I live.

Was the front install a big job? Back looks easy.

To the OP is the issue just at high speeds?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
i have a video of the back install.. look it up on youtube...

the front it a bit more work..if you dont have a lift .. its not easy.. you have to support he gas tank..about 16 bolts..

i have the GT3 front sway bar in stock btw.. and the hard to find bushing..

Lemon

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On my way to Cantrell Motorsports in Bellevue Wa. to get an alignment. Very excited. Will report back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts