Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

Today pulling close to home and shifter went completely slack - move everywhere and no gear - stuck in first. Got it home slowly.

Read other posts about the cables 'popping off' at the transmission. Jacked car up. Left and right cables in place at transmission and not broken there. I can move and shift at the transmission and it shifts. Go back to gearshift and it moves once and then slack, nothing.

Do you guys think cable is broken at shifter or do I have a shifter issue. By the way, it's 2011 with only 31K miles, not tracked with OEM shifter and cables.

Thoughts or advice before I order a set of cables from Suncoast and then plan for the painful task of taking the darn console apart.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I upgraded to Numeric shifter and cables, greatly changed my enjoyment of both up shifting and especially downshifting. If you go this route, I would suggest thinking about shifter lifter feet that pushes up your shifter a little. I did not do this and later felt I could have used 1 inch lift and still not changing my console. Also suggest you order the $30.00 noise abaintment tubes covering the steel cables which quiet the NVH into the cabin.

·
Registered
977 Posts
One of your shift cables has either come off at the shifter, or has broken somewhere along the line. There is nothing else that holds the shift lever in place.

You can pop the shifter boot off and look around inside with a flashlight to see what has happened in there.

I have also changed over to the Numeric cables and they are great. Removing the console isn't too bad; the hardest part of the job for me was removing/replacing the shift cable at the driver's side of the transmission.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You may be able to see by removing the shifter boot, but chances are you'll need to remove the console to see what's what. Any fix would require the console out anyways. Just do not start your car with the console out, as you'll trigger a dash light (don't remember which, maybe airbag) that will require the dealer to clear.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Husker Boxster is right about the dash light - it's the airbag light that is triggered. And it requires a Durametric or dealer computer to reset it. You'll be fine as long as you plug the connectors back in before turning the car on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. Thanks to everyone for their input. Numeric cables were on backorder and got OEM and replaced. By the way, Porsche re-designed the shifter cables and have an update kit (sold with cables now or at least from Suncoast) replacing the lever and mechanism on the transmission. Other than routing thru the firewall, piece of cake and it is shifting so darn smooth now. Have to belive I had a problem I didn't know I had until the cable broke. Huge difference.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Good to hear you were successful replacing the cables. I appear to be in a similar situation, but the failure occurred in 5th gear ughh the clutch burning on a few starts returning 15+ miles from home. Got the car up on jack stands and the transmission side of the cables is fine and I can move the transmission levers and then get one shift in the car as you mentioned, looks like 6th to 5th. Where did you find the cable failure and was there a particular DIY you found helpful? Special tools?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts