Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am try selling 2 tires on ebay and I see a bunch of shipping costs around $50. Yet when I call UPS or FedEx or a local mail and ship place, best price I get is around $100 for 2 tires. These are 265/40 R19.

What am I missing? How are people shipping tires for so cheap. I am looking at 19608 (PA) to 60458 (IL).

It seems the best way to package them is to tape them together and then tape the label to the tire and don't use a box.

Any help on how I can reduce my potential shipping cost would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
The two tires taped together with the label taped on is how I've them from Tire Rack. No idea about cost. Maybe they get a bulk discount?

If the tires are asymmetric so that there is an outside tape those faces together. I've gotten new tires that looked like they had been curbed from shipping.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I think I figured it out. If you choose shipping through the ebay auction, they discount the cost 50 to 60%.

So I am seeing prices of $48-73 depending on weight. I just need to make sure fedex is ok with just taping them together when they pickup.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've shipped full sets of wheels with tires from GA to CA for $100.

Price can always vary, but the cheapest quotes I have ever received have been putting the tires into boxes. Despite the larger volume, a box is considered easier to handle than a cylinder by USPS and UPS.
Depending on where it's going, the price can also be cheaper to ship them individually rather than two together.

When I order tires, it's not uncommon for them to come individually wrapped.

But as you found, ebay often has shipping discounts. But be cautious with that... A buyer in the far corner of the map can result in more expensive shipping. You might have better luck selling the tires on Facebook Marketplace and keeping the transaction to local pickup only.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
UPS charges an extra fee for unboxed tires; you will get it 1-2 weeks after the shipping label are printed and tires shipped. I haven't done it lately but last time I did it it was $10 more. Worth it as boxes cost more than that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I typically use Parcel Monkey to get reduced shipping rates, but shipping tires is a special case. You might get to the dropoff and they won't take them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am try selling 2 tires on ebay and I see a bunch of shipping costs around $50. Yet when I call UPS or FedEx or a local mail and ship place, best price I get is around $100 for 2 tires. These are 265/40 R19.

What am I missing? How are people shipping tires for so cheap. I am looking at 19608 (PA) to 60458 (IL).

It seems the best way to package them is to tape them together and then tape the label to the tire and don't use a box.

Any help on how I can reduce my potential shipping cost would be appreciated.

Thanks.
hey,
Last month my friend ship his car wheels to his friend at very low price somewhere around $35. He done it through by posting his work on a site and he receives a lot bids on it and there are many runners there who charges differently based upon their service. And he chose someone who has better rating with a good pricing of $35. So he appoint him and his tires are moved without moving a single finger.
so you can consider it
Hope it helps you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts