Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Boxster S with approx 65000 miles.I only use it to commute but find that it rides like a lumber wagon.
I realize this is a sports car and theres little travel in the shocks ect but i have ridden in a newer boxster and found that it
rode a lot smoother over rough terrain.I dont see any indication off shock leakage.Can u give me some advise.I am willing to loose a little handleing in trade for a smoother ride.Should i be looking at a shock change,spring or both.Thx

·
Registered
92 Posts
Best bet for a better ride is fitting 17-inch wheels which will fit with small spacers on the front.

The handling will be much sweeter, too. So it's win all round except, for some people, looks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have the stock 18" on there now but thx for reply,really like the look off my rims so unfortunately not an option at this point.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I have the 17 inch Sport Edition Cup wheel from tirerack, I use them as winter wheels, they look good and require no spacer on my CS, if you use the Conti DW or DSW it will soften the ride of your car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Having an '06 Cayman S with 19" wheels and also an '09 Boxster with 17" wheels I can attest that the wheels make a significant difference in the ride.
I think Caymans are sprung just a bit more stiffly than Boxsters anyhow, and I don't know what you can do to soften the ride except switch wheels (and tires as noted above).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another vote for tires. Do research on the ride quality and NVH of the tires you use! Old / hard tires can make a ride bad all by themselves.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You may have a bad shock or two. Pour damping will produce a harsh ride, as can higher spring rates. Are your springs the originals? With a bad shock, the tire will dribble like a basketball but at a higher frequency, when it hits a bump. This is easily observed by someone in another car. Find a rough road with at least two lanes each way have someone in another car visually check each corner to see if the shock is good or bad.

My Cayman S with 20" wheels does not ride like a lumber wagon. Neither did my Boxster S with 17" wheels and M030 sport suspension. Find our what the problem is.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a 2006 Boxster S with approx 65000 miles.I only use it to commute but find that it rides like a lumber wagon.
I realize this is a sports car and theres little travel in the shocks ect but i have ridden in a newer boxster and found that it
rode a lot smoother over rough terrain.I dont see any indication off shock leakage.Can u give me some advise.I am willing to loose a little handleing in trade for a smoother ride.Should i be looking at a shock change,spring or both.Thx
I also vote for smaller diameter wheels. I have 16" wheels (the big ones those days) on my '88 911 and Continental DW summer tires and the car is much less sensitive to California road bumps than the Cayman. The 911 handles very well although the DWs are not quite as grippy as other summer tires. The larger tire side walls absorb the shocks and isolate the whole car from the bump-induced vibrations.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same feeling about my 08 Cayman S as the orignal poster. I read on here some time ago that folks are going up one size on tires (not wheel diameter) and this also gives a little better ride quality. I also live in CA and the roads in Sonoma County are terrible. Can anyone here comment on the upsize solution? Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just had 4 new Mish PS2 super sport installed (had original PS2) slightly softer ride, handling not quite as sharp but still great.I have read
that porsche did tweak the shocks a bit on newer models and if i ordered the part number for my car i would end up with the newer stuff.
Going to call the dealer and inquire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts