Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping right now and expect to buy within a month or so. I looked at an '08 base yesterday with 15k miles. It was at a small car lot and the guy said it had not run in about 2 weeks. There was a pretty noticeable tick coming not from all holes but from maybe one. I didn't drive the car but it did run until the temp gauge started rising and by that time it had gotten better. I'm a mechanic and have heard a ton of valve trains in my days, even had a '71 911T. This is the first Cayman I have heard running and I want to know what to expect as I look at more. Thanks and I hope to be back as an owner, C.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm shopping right now and expect to buy within a month or so. I looked at an '08 base yesterday with 15k miles. It was at a small car lot and the guy said it had not run in about 2 weeks. There was a pretty noticeable tick coming not from all holes but from maybe one. I didn't drive the car but it did run until the temp gauge started rising and by that time it had gotten better. I'm a mechanic and have heard a ton of valve trains in my days, even had a '71 911T. This is the first Cayman I have heard running and I want to know what to expect as I look at more. Thanks and I hope to be back as an owner, C.
Could be the heat shield on the exhaust. It would be the first place I'd look both of my Caymans have done this. It is much more noticeable on the 08 CS.

Matt

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounded like a valve. I guess my question is could it be the result of high revs. I've read here about extracting the rev history. I'm just a little nervous about this purchase. I've never had a car inspected prior to purchase but I'm actually considering it this time. I'm coming off Audis and Saabs and I'm excited about a Porsche but I don't want to make a mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
The longer they sit the tickier they sound.Take it for a test drive for a few miles and see if it still sounds as pronounced.From what i can gather some valvetrain/timing belt etc etc noise is inherit in the Cayman.Heck if it sits for a month or so you would swear it dropped a valve.Sometimes it will sound like it is idling on 4 cylinders:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Not sure if it is what your hearing, but I sometimes notice a little valve/lifter clatter when the engine is cold, usually goes away after the first couple of miles of driving.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i've had this ticking on my 07 boxster. my neighbour, who has a 1999 box, even commented on it when i backed out one day. it doesn't seem to last long. i've never even asked about it. probably normal.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
For a modest fee, you might just be able to get a certified Porsche mechanic to check it out before you buy it. Cheap insurance and while no guarantee, it might be some of the best money you spend.......

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I can confirm the ticking on a DFI also when cold is quite apparent. I goes away when the engine heats up, but it could be that I simply get used to it. In any case the car runs fine.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Not sure if it is what your hearing, but I sometimes notice a little valve/lifter clatter when the engine is cold, usually goes away after the first couple of miles of driving.
Mine does the samething. In under a minute or two at most all is quiet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts