Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I'm currently very seriously contemplating moving from my '01 BMW Z3M roady to something "newer and even spiffier than the M". An '06-07 low/average mileage Cayman S is on my very short list of what meets that criteria (and more or less fits within my discretionay spending budget as defined by my CFO (aka: She Who Must Be Obeyed)). Two car models does constitute a list, right? The other car on the list is an '06-ish BWM Z4M Coupe.

Thanks to all who contributed to the FAQ (very helpful) and the many very informative posts I've perused. I think I'm approaching Cayman S information saturation...

The car wil be my DD (as the M is currently). Manual transmission is a must. I know the paddle shifters are all the rage now and are probably "better" than a standard, but I'm old school and it's just not a sports car if you don't have something for your left foot to do... I'm not going to be tracking the car (well, probably not, anyway) so I'm not really interested in inhumanly-fast shifting. The only options that are "must have" for me are PASM and Sport Chrono. Everything else is gravy...

I've been watching Ebay and some of the other online classifieds for a couple of weeks and have already seen a couple of worthy prospects. If anyone happens to know of any particularly good deals floating around, I'd love to hear about them. I'd prefer to buy from a dealer as I bought the M from a private seller on Ebay and I thought the CFO was going to develop an ulcer waiting for the car to be shipped from Hawaii to Long Beach where I picked it up...

Current plan is to pull the trigger sometime within the next couple of months so I'm not in a huge rush. That timetable could be moved up for the right car, though... :)

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Goodluck with your seach.I'm sure you will be able too find what you are looking for at a reasonable price. Ditto on the stick/manual.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Having just bought my new 09 this week, I have shopped around a lot. And as far as used deal go, I think you are better off looking for new 08s. You didn't mention what kind of budget you were on, so it is hard to know if this is even within your reach.

There are PLENTY of new 08s still in the dealer lots. I was offered 14k off MSRP as a FIRST offer on a 64k MSRP 08. I did not pursue that deal any further as I was really looking for a 09, but I am sure there was more to be gained from that deal. So you are looking at a zero miles, new, with full warranty for less than 50k. I get the feeling that the used cars out there has not yet "responded" to this shift in price, and asking prices are too high on used. A quick look at Autotrader it looks like used 08s with 15-20k miles similarly equipped asking price is 45-49k.

Everyone are hurting for sales. Not just Porsche, the only other car I considered was a Nissan GTR, I was offered a 84k MSRP GTR at 70k. The GTR was going for ABOVE MSRP less than a year ago. It is truly an awesome time to buy a new car, especially if you have and older trade in and already "got your money out of it" or even better not having a trade in at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got done with my search. On my "must" list was certified pre-owned. A lot of the 06 cars actually hit the road at the end of 2005 so they are going to be coming off warranty this year. Getting a CPO car gives you another 2 years. I decided I would rather have an 07 for an extra year.

If you are searching on the Porscheusa.com pre-owned listing, one interesting thing I found is they don't put the first registered date on the listing but if you choose "print" that screen will show it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having just bought my new 09 this week, I have shopped around a lot. And as far as used deal go, I think you are better off looking for new 08s. You didn't mention what kind of budget you were on, so it is hard to know if this is even within your reach.
The budget as defined by the aforementioned CFO is 35k. I'm shopping with the rationale that with a bit of grovelling I can move that up to 40k but that'll probably be the highest I can go with a clear conscience and any shreds of dignity left. So that pretty much rules out a new (even an 08) Cayman with the options I want.

CPO would be a very nice extra, but that's not a deal-breaker for me. As long as there's a shred of warranty left, I figure I can get anything that needs fixing immediately taken care of and if I can't get at least 4 solid years out of the car from there, I have greatly overestimated Porsche's quality/reliability level... :) I know, stuff happens but that's a calculated risk I'm willing to take.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The budget as defined by the aforementioned CFO is 35k. I'm shopping with the rationale that with a bit of grovelling I can move that up to 40k but that'll probably be the highest I can go with a clear conscience and any shreds of dignity left. So that pretty much rules out a new (even an 08) Cayman with the options I want.

CPO would be a very nice extra, but that's not a deal-breaker for me. As long as there's a shred of warranty left, I figure I can get anything that needs fixing immediately taken care of and if I can't get at least 4 solid years out of the car from there, I have greatly overestimated Porsche's quality/reliability level... :) I know, stuff happens but that's a calculated risk I'm willing to take.
Within that price range you can certainly get a CPO'd '07 Z4MC. I know, I've been looking at both as well!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hi, I bought mine used in 2007 and I had the best possible experience. Here is what I recommend:

1. Do research on price/options/mileage/year with cars.com
2. Buy at a dealership
3. See it in person
4. Drive it in person
5. Lowest possible Miles!!!
6. Don't buy the cheapest one available; budget to buy in the top 20% of used cars

I went to Florida and bought through Champion and they treated me like a king. My next car in a year or two (hopefully a used Turbo) will be through them just because they earned a lifetime of loyalty with how much they accommodated me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally took an 07 CS out for a test drive this weekend. That particular car didn't have the colors I'm looking for but I've not had the opportunity to actually try one out. It seemed like the shifter was quite "sloppy" compared to my M. Do I need to be looking for one with the Sport Shifter option or might this have been an anomoly?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I finally took an 07 CS out for a test drive this weekend. That particular car didn't have the colors I'm looking for but I've not had the opportunity to actually try one out. It seemed like the shifter was quite "sloppy" compared to my M. Do I need to be looking for one with the Sport Shifter option or might this have been an anomoly?
It's funny you should say that the shifter was sloppy, I had a similar experience with a 2006 911S, very sloppy shifter right after the salesman had me drive a 2008 boxter S and the shifter was much tighter, although not nearly as tight as the shifter in my S2000. So where are you in the process of getting your P car?

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
in general, look back in this 'porsche sales & leasing' topic -- go back 6 months and read all the threads which start just like yours -- "Shopping for a used Cayman S" -- you'll see how others have bought used, including several reports on my purchase;

i.e. I'd go into it again but it's already been written several times.

those threads tend to be short and either a car is bought or they just die due to lack of attention. either way you'll get a feel for what's involved.

my .002 - I considered the BMW but immediately tossed it after reading that the ride was brutal. On the other hand the cayman got car&driver's 10-best 3 years running. that cut my short list from 2 to 1.

and really, poking around here, expect to find enthusiasm for the cayman ... it would be a surprise if you got anything else !

my biggest point - shopping on-line, it was easy to tell the difference between dealers hawking used cars [that's what they do -- 'hawk' them. to pigeons.] -- and a sad but dedicated owner selling his/her pride & joy.

the hawker's ads are cut/paste boilerplate which hides the actual features on the car. a good dealer won't do this. neither will an individual seller unless he's got something to hide.

last word - I bought my '06 cayman S, PASM, bose, bi-xenons, 12K miles for $38K. it was originally stickered over $71K.

ymmv,

-PM

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Seafodder, take a look at this link. I have not seen this car myself in person, but the salesman at this dealership tells me about the best trade ins they get.

http://inventory2.dealercrm.com/public/?dealership=1511&userpreview=1511_23968

I should add that this particular internet ad is a bit amaturish (the 6 speed manual with overdrive phrase made me chuckle), but these guys usually have good cars and this one has some good options.

Bret

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
Seafodder, take a look at this link. I have not seen this car myself in person, but the salesman at this dealership tells me about the best trade ins they get.

I should add that this particular internet ad is a bit amaturish (the 6 speed manual with overdrive phrase made me chuckle), but these guys usually have good cars and this one has some good options.

Bret
howto hawk a car 101 ... I looked at the ad and had no clue what options it had. hard to believe it's an ad by a real porsche dealer. Louie and Ed's Siding and Pawn, maybe, but not a real porsche dealer.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
howto hawk a car 101 ... I looked at the ad and had no clue what options it had. hard to believe it's an ad by a real porsche dealer. Louie and Ed's Siding and Pawn, maybe, but not a real porsche dealer.
Funny. You said it better than I thought it!

·
Registered
6,829 Posts

Bret
What the heck is a: 2006 Porsche Cayman S Base Rear-wheel Drive? Cayman S base? hmmmmmmmmmmmm... a dealer that has a great grasp of the Porsche nomenclature, I see...

brad

·
Registered
14 Posts
this is the exact color combo that i am looking for, has heated seats chrono package climate control, bose self dim mirrors rain sensing wipers floor mats and preferred package....now...., what exactly is the preferred package? they are asking $38,990.00
what would be a fair price to offer them?
many thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments, guys! But, I ended up with this (sorry, just a cell phone pic):

I drove a second '06 Cayman S, this one with with only 4k miles. Same "sloppy" shifter feel that the first one I tried had. I hopped out and took the '07 Z4MC with 24k miles for a spin. I know the CS beats out the MC in pretty much all catagories, but I just fell in love with the MC... All of the controls (including the shifter) felt tight and precise. Plus I've grown quite attached to the S-54 engine (the blue '01 Z3MR in the background was my trade-in). The uniqueness factor comes into play for me, too. You just don't see a lot of Z4MCs in my neck of the woods and you can't turn around without stumbling over a Cayman. Not so many CSs, but lots of Caymans. Oh well, maybe when this one starts getting tired I'll move to a P-car... :)

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Sheesh......I warned you guys about the crappy ad! Car is not listed anymore so I guess it sold in only 2 days.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments, guys! But, I ended up with this (sorry, just a cell phone pic):

I drove a second '06 Cayman S, this one with with only 4k miles. Same "sloppy" shifter feel that the first one I tried had. I hopped out and took the '07 Z4MC with 24k miles for a spin. I know the CS beats out the MC in pretty much all catagories, but I just fell in love with the MC... All of the controls (including the shifter) felt tight and precise. Plus I've grown quite attached to the S-54 engine (the blue '01 Z3MR in the background was my trade-in). The uniqueness factor comes into play for me, too. You just don't see a lot of Z4MCs in my neck of the woods and you can't turn around without stumbling over a Cayman. Not so many CSs, but lots of Caymans. Oh well, maybe when this one starts getting tired I'll move to a P-car... :)

I think you made a great choice. I have always been a fan of the M coupes since the Z3M coupe came out. They are underrated and you don't see many on the road. It is one of my favorite cars all time (Cayman is #1, of course).

Good luck with the new car and enjoy. I probably wouldn't have made the same choice but to each his own :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
in general, look back in this 'porsche sales & leasing' topic -- go back 6 months and read all the threads which start just like yours -- "Shopping for a used Cayman S" -- you'll see how others have bought used, including several reports on my purchase;

i.e. I'd go into it again but it's already been written several times.

those threads tend to be short and either a car is bought or they just die due to lack of attention. either way you'll get a feel for what's involved.

my .002 - I considered the BMW but immediately tossed it after reading that the ride was brutal. On the other hand the cayman got car&driver's 10-best 3 years running. that cut my short list from 2 to 1.

and really, poking around here, expect to find enthusiasm for the cayman ... it would be a surprise if you got anything else !

my biggest point - shopping on-line, it was easy to tell the difference between dealers hawking used cars [that's what they do -- 'hawk' them. to pigeons.] -- and a sad but dedicated owner selling his/her pride & joy.

the hawker's ads are cut/paste boilerplate which hides the actual features on the car. a good dealer won't do this. neither will an individual seller unless he's got something to hide.

last word - I bought my '06 cayman S, PASM, bose, bi-xenons, 12K miles for $38K. it was originally stickered over $71K.

ymmv,

-PM
I bought an '06 CS with 16,000miles for $38K. It sounds like a higher price, but mine had Carrera S 19" wheels, PASM, Nav, Bose, Sport Chrono +, a round airbag - Sport Steering Wheel and Xenons and Homelink. Only option I'd order that this doesn't have is an iPhone connection and auto climate control, which I'm just so used to from other cars.

Color is Artic Silver with black. It's very easy to take care of and a ton of fun. I just did oil and filter change, changed engine intake air filter and the interior intake air filter at 20K. I've got about 21K on it now and I'm loving it. No track days yet, but I've got a few plans.

I see no reason to pay for a new '08. These are very reliable cars and it's pretty easy to find an older one that's been taken care of. There are almost no differences in spec between '06, 07 and '08.

I'd love a new '09 CS with the 320HP DFI engine and the upgrades to suspension and electronics. I think it's a whole different level of refinement and power, but I want this car to track and tinker with, so I don't want a new car, just a good used one wiith the right options. That's what I got.

I think these '06 and '07 cars are a flat out bargain. Huge value for money and, if you're thinking of putting mods on it, you'll be jepordizing the warranty anyway. This way there's less warranty to risk.

I'm probably going to keep mine for a long time.

If the one you pick has a Bose, there is a cheap and very effective mod for the subwoofer described in the Articles section. Just search "Bose Sub".

The Bose stereo is very disappointing without this mod. If you listen to it at all, you need to do this. Simple tools, low bucks and doesn't show. Takes 30 minutes or less to do the first time. It's a difficulty of 3 out of 10, I'd say, especially with the detailed instructions on this site. Takes much less time after you've done one. (I did a friend's too.) Try it, you'll like it!

If you get 19 in wheels and live around beat up roads, you really need PASM. No need to pay for the fancy leather if you're going to track the car and drive it a lot.

The stock black interior is really classy and holds up better than the extra cost interiors do. Black seats don't show dirt but black carpet shows every blade of grass etc. You will vacuum more often. I bought a little vacuum for the garage just for this car.

They are more comfortable than you'd think on a long trip. Great GT as well as a commuter and track machine.

-Six

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Oh, on the stick/non-stick issue, it's no contest on pre-09 cars...Get the stick. Tiptronic is the only other option on those cars and it's heavy and not very fun. I'd get the seven speed PDK transmission on an '09 or '10 car if I were communting with it in traffic or wanted to win races. If I just wanted to enjoy the car as a sports car and have some fun on the track now and then, I'd stay with the stick even on a new one.

You know..... Sixisenuff.:cheers:

-Six

1 - 20 of 23 Posts