Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fooey.. what you're not addressing is my simple statement: Cooling systems are NOT DESIGNED to CONSUME ANY COOLANT. No engineer designed a cooling system that was made to consume coolant.

A properly filled system that is working correctly IS a sealed system. Auto manufacturers test for things like this by running their cars around the California deserts looking for inadequately sized expansion tanks.

Will overfilled systems burp some coolant - possibly - most manufacturers allow for minor overfilling when they size the expansion tank. In any case - that overfilled system is being used in a manner it wasn't designed for. There are 2 ways the expansion of coolant would exceed the capacity of the expansion tank: (1) Too much coolant to start with (2) Coolant (and engine) has overheated.

BUT - that's not what was being discussed here. We're talking about a vehicle that had NO coolant showing in the intake tube (which doubles as a level indicator.) This system HAS A LEAK. Filling it and ignoring it isn't fixing it. The leak is indicated by missing fluid. The fluid was not "consumed" by the system or engine in normal operation of the engine.

BTW - melting power-steering reservoirs was no longer an issue with the 987.2 cars. Porche fixed that (and a LOT of other things) when they redesigned the engine and car with the .2 release in 2009.

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
55 Posts
Sometimes the source of a leaking cooling system is hard to find ... just like a locating the exact location of a leaking roof on your home.

Years ago, it took me a while to locate the source of a coolant leak on my wife's '70 Chevelle. It ended up being due to a small crack on a hose fitting behind the block near the firewall. The reason it was hard to locate was because the coolant was turning into vapor, not a solid fluid leak.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Absolutely agree! If you want a complex cooling system - my 958 Cayenne Twin Turbo with front and rear HVAC is probably about tops. I think at the moment mine isn't leaking, which is sort of the exception for it. It has things like electric pumps to move heated coolant through the HVAC when the engine is off.. branching circuits to feed coolant to the rear-seat heater, which actually lives back in the trunk area. Electrically/computer-controlled thermostat to optimize engine temp for maximum efficiency. Pumps to feed coolant to the turbos after the engine shuts down..

The Boxster is simplicity personified compared to the Cayenne system.

On my first Cayenne (an '06) - I spent most of the 2 year CPO warranty chasing a coolant smell. Finally located it - a tiny crack in a threaded hole in a cast-aluminum cross-over pipe between the rear of the two heads. Dealer managed to replace it without engine removal - a surprise since the first step in the manual was "remove engine.. see section.. "

21 - 23 of 23 Posts