Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a short test drive in a Cayman 718 S today and I was really impressed with the car. Far more refined in feel than the older Boxsters and Caymans I've driven, and much nicer ride quality than I was expecting, and more compliant than my 1M coupe. The sound was about what I expected, definitely not Porsche-like, but not nearly as bad as some of the reviewers have written. The car I drove was a PDK, and the salesman indicated that virtually everything they sell is PDK, and the very few manuals they sell are mostly in standard 718's and not "S" models. I was hoping to like the PDK more than I did, but if I order one I'm now certain it will have to be a manual. The PDK is pretty faultless, and frankly I don't see much reason to ever use the paddles, as the car just always felt like it was in the right gear. I'm used to Ferrari paddles, which are big and fixed to the steering column. I didn't like the small Porsche paddles and the way they moved with the steering wheel. I'm sure it's just something you get used to, but the PDK just isn't for me anyway. The engine spins up nicely and doesn't have the big drop-off in power once you get out of the sweet spot like my 1M has. I didn't drive it very hard, but I loved the steering feel and turn-in, and the car just feels much lighter and more lively than I recall the 991 feeling. Fit, finish and overall build quality is really good on these cars, particularly compared to recent BMW's. I was hoping to see the Sport-Tex interior, but they didn't have anything in stock with it. I was pretty convinced that Graphite Blue Metallic was my favorite color, but Agate Grey is much more interesting in person than it looks in pics. Chalk leather in Agate Grey is just a stunning combo! Terrific car; I can see why you owners are so enthusiastic about them!

·
Registered
89 Posts
My dealer had a 718 CS with PDK, and a base Boxster in 6MT. I've been driving a stick since I was in short pants, but was amazed at the ride in the PDK, which I drove first.

Then I drove the MT Boxster, and what went through my mind was, "I'm home again." :)

So I ordered a CS with MT, arrival scheduled for May sometime.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
My dealer had a 718 CS with PDK, and a base Boxster in 6MT. I've been driving a stick since I was in short pants, but was amazed at the ride in the PDK, which I drove first.

Then I drove the MT Boxster, and what went through my mind was, "I'm home again." :)

So I ordered a CS with MT, arrival scheduled for May sometime.
If I decided to disregard my SO's views, I would have gotten 6 speed too. Coming from a 5-speed 1st gen Cayman 2.7, old school is fine by me. Yet I am just amazed by the flexibility and smarts offered by PDK, and in D.C. area traffic, even on weekends, my left foot does not miss the stick. And having paddleshifted a 991 GT3 for 5 laps around a track in Vegas, there's plenty of fun to be had even with 2 pedals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts