Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a B&M SSK a couple of months ago, everything fine until today, as I pulled into a parking space at the Post Office the shift lever went limp, no notches, and I didn't think I could get it into reverse to back out, but finally did, and then it got stuck in first gear. Nothing would move it from that gear, the lever feels like it is totally disconnected from the linkage. I drove home in first, reving to redline and then coasting down to about 20 mph before accelerating again. I suspect the linkage came loose brom the bottom of the lever, but I'll only know when I remove the console again. If you've done this, you know what a pain this is, but at least I have the time and nothing pressing.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but it's not the first time I've seen a broken B&M shifter.
Consider replacing it with a Porsche unit. No butchering required!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm really steamed, literally and figuratively. Humidity is about 98% so I'm soaking wet, and I took the console apart for nothing. The LH shift linkage had come loose from the transaxle! I just snapped it back on and I'm good to go, or I would be if I had the console back together! It went on rather easily, so I need to look into getting the end replaced with a stronger one, but that's all that was wrong.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
mitch48:

Please excuse the presumptive remarks in my prior post. I must try to refrain from dispensing unsolicited "advice."

Hopefully you've cooled off a bit by now. Thanks for reporting your findings, as your efforts will benefit the community. Towards that end:

1. Did the cable end look like it was misaligned, or worn, or was there any indication of how or why it came apart?
  2. Is there anything you can think to do that will prevent this event from recurring?
  3. :picsplz:

Best regards,
Croc'ed

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem, I jump to conclusions all the time, in fact its almost the only exercize I get!

I'll have to get a pic in a little while, I'm still putting the console back together.

I couldn't see any excessive wear, but obviously there must be some, or else the nylon cable end is defective. It snapped right back on, but I don't have a lot of confidence that it will stay, so I'm going to talk to the dealer next week about getting a replacement. I am still in the CPO warranty, but expect I'd have to pay a "co-pay" like BMW charges, so it may be cheaper just to buy the cable end if its available. I'm going to look up the part when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are pics of the links, first pic is the LH one that came off, the second pic is the RH one that didn't. I couldn't tell any difference in the two, but it looks like the end is part of the cable which means the entire cable will have to be replaced, joy.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car was originally titled to someone in Michigan, and I'm assuming the corrosion is from that region. The guy I bought it from lived in St. Pete, but he only owned it a few months before being transferred to London, thus his need to sell. The fasteners are the only parts I've seen that have some corrosion, and I've taken a steel brush to some of them and it is just surface rust, I can't see anything bad. The shift joints didn't look like they had any corrosion at all on them, all nylon and aluminum it appears.

·
Registered
151 Posts
See if this thread is what you're talking about:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/32293-advisory-srp-istall-gear-cables.html

This issue seems to be associated with SRP installation, where you have to re-route the shifter cable (six-speed only I think). Apparently it might happen with stock intakes as well.

Several of us installed SRPs recently, and we zip-tied the shifter cable as described in this article. It's not too hard to get to from above (inside the hatch, engine cover off, below the intake/MAF), of course this was with the intake out so may be tougher with it in place. Hopefully that fixes the problem for us all, please let us know the outcome.

Dave

·
Registered
621 Posts
The car was originally titled to someone in Michigan, and I'm assuming the corrosion is from that region. The guy I bought it from lived in St. Pete, but he only owned it a few months before being transferred to London, thus his need to sell. The fasteners are the only parts I've seen that have some corrosion, and I've taken a steel brush to some of them and it is just surface rust, I can't see anything bad. The shift joints didn't look like they had any corrosion at all on them, all nylon and aluminum it appears.
Hi Mitch. I agree with blueone, this looks pretty wicked. FWIW, dousing everything with a good coat of WD-40 would help. (I used almost a gallon on my GFs BMW from Philadelphia - and it is much happier).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.