Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - longtime lurker here, but have something I'm hoping you can help me with.

I bought a CPO 2010 Cayman S from a dealer in MA (I live in FL) back in February with 41,232 miles. About 6 weeks ago, I got the "Service Now" countdown on the instrument cluster, and when I took it into my local dealer for a dead battery shortly thereafter, they told me I was due for the 4-year/40k miles major service, because it had been four years since the car (a lease) had been put into service in November 2010.

I postponed making the appointment to price check some local independent mechanics, but when I got to thinking about it, I realized I had looked at Porsche's recommended service intervals when I bought the car, interpreted it as 4 years or 40,000 miles, whichever comes first, and figured the service would have been completed before I took delivery as the car was over 40k miles. I know I should have have confirmed before I bought it, but I assumed it being a CPO that I was taken care of. I just got the service records from the dealer and it appears they just have a listing of the "Boxster 30k major service" on the log, done in November 2013, with 41,235 miles. Here's the log in case it helps:

View attachment image2015-01-07-131337.pdf

Should the original dealer have done this before selling the car? If so, do I have any recourse to have them pay for it? It's gonna be $700 from the independent, which is half what the dealer charged, but it's still something I thought should have been done before they sold the car.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Hi all - longtime lurker here, but have something I'm hoping you can help me with.

I bought a CPO 2010 Cayman S from a dealer in MA (I live in FL) back in February with 41,232 miles. About 6 weeks ago, I got the "Service Now" countdown on the instrument cluster, and when I took it into my local dealer for a dead battery shortly thereafter, they told me I was due for the 4-year/40k miles major service, because it had been four years since the car (a lease) had been put into service in November 2010.

I postponed making the appointment to price check some local independent mechanics, but when I got to thinking about it, I realized I had looked at Porsche's recommended service intervals when I bought the car, interpreted it as 4 years or 40,000 miles, whichever comes first, and figured the service would have been completed before I took delivery as the car was over 40k miles. I know I should have have confirmed before I bought it, but I assumed it being a CPO that I was taken care of. I just got the service records from the dealer and it appears they just have a listing of the "Boxster 30k major service" on the log, done in November 2013, with 41,235 miles. Here's the log in case it helps:

View attachment 54778

Should the original dealer have done this before selling the car? If so, do I have any recourse to have them pay for it? It's gonna be $700 from the independent, which is half what the dealer charged, but it's still something I thought should have been done before they sold the car.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
IMHO YES for sure. As you noted a lesson learned often in life is to never "assume". This goes for any Car Dealers selling anything. That they got away with doing just 30K when 40K was required is in polite terms "cheating". Talk to PCNA and file a claim. Does Porsche condone 30K effort on a vehicle with 40K mileage???? Maybe Porsche can convince a FL Dealer :hilarious:to perform those added service items that are required at the 40K Interval. No idea here as to what these might be.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
... Talk to PCNA and file a claim.
It is 40k or 4 years whichever comes first and should have been completed as part of the CPO certification. However, before rushing off to PCNA and filing a claim, have you spoken calmly and rationally (in person) with the dealer's Sales Manager and/or General Manager? This may be an opportunity to start developing a positive relationship with the dealer - which can pay dividends down the road, as has been well documented on the forum. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The OP lives in FL and bought the car is MA so I'm guessing an in person visit is not possible without great expense of time and money.

I would call the MA dealer (I'd go directly to the GM) and see what they say. It might have been an oversight and may be able to work out something with a dealer in your area.

Good luck,

Eddie

...However, before rushing off to PCNA and filing a claim, have you spoken calmly and rationally (in person) with the dealer's Sales Manager and/or General Manager?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the responses so far. I have since replied to the service manager at the MA dealer who just provided me with the service records to ask him to confirm if it had been done, and he stated that:

"...the major service was done at 41234 miles on ro 99296 [in reference to the attachment in my original post]. you do not need it done".

That item is on the first line on page 3. I did see this earlier, but the "30k" part threw me. If that's the case (and I have no reason to believe it's not other than the odd naming convention in their system), then would it be reasonable to assume the service prompt on the instrument display is for an annual oil change (it being one year since the major service, which includes an oil change, was done)?

·
Registered
895 Posts
But, IIRC, there is be a 30,000 mile service (minor). Did you ask them what was done? Or maybe for a parts list? You see spark plugs, then you know the major service was done.

I see it was $1,000. Does anyone know if a major service can be done in MA at a Porsche dealer for a G? A grand sure sounds cheap for a major service there, but maybe it was done.

Eddie

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
There is no minor service at 30K, just an oil change and that was done at 27K.

The major service was done plus the brake flush.

The name is confusing but the price might be more confusing. I believe you are seeing the internal charges. You are not seeing the retail prices, in other words, the profit. For example, the bumper repair was sublet. To where and what were the retail prices charged to the customer. $122 labor for the brake flush seems cheap, etc.

Maybe these are wholesale prices.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I see it was $1,000. Does anyone know if a major service can be done in MA at a Porsche dealer for a G? A grand sure sounds cheap for a major service there, but maybe it was done.

Eddie
Not MA, but my 40K mile service 12 months ago was $865 at Byers Imports in Ohio - and my wife looked at me like I was nuts when I was telling her about this great deal!

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Not MA, but my 40K mile service 12 months ago was $865 at Byers Imports in Ohio - and my wife looked at me like I was nuts when I was telling her about this great deal!
that's big discount.. retail is $1340...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what it's worth, my local West Palm Beach dealer (Braman Porsche) quoted me $1500. The "major" local independent, Foreign Affairs, quoted me $700. But I'm pretty stoked that I won't have to pay either and just need to have the oil changed at this point.

Thanks all for the help - really saved me a lot of time and money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts