Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm posting this here for opinions of course. I am sure its been discussed.

Get a 16 CS or wait for 17 CS T4.

My thoughts.

i love my current 11 CS. I'm itching for something new, from Porsche only but would like to see AR Guilia QV or M2 or 17 C63AMG coupe. No kids, no problems.

When i have driven cars after purchasing CS and thought I would enjoy them equal to or better then the CS...no, I was wrong
My CS fits me and i love it. But I'm itching so what do you guys think....will I enjoy a T4???

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Your question would have been buried in the massive thread. Since this is sure to be asked repeatedly, I've created your own thread for future potential buyers as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would go flat six just because I love to ring a car out to redline that and it will sound allot better. But if you like torquey cars go for the 4.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hard to say given that no one outside of Porsche has even driven the new car yet. That said based on everything we know, the current generation is likely to be a more thrilling drive than the future generation - at least in base an S trim. The GTS trim might be a wash.

·
Registered
140 Posts
+1 Flat Six

I like the instant response of NA. The turbo lag of my 550i annoys me. But when it comes on, whoa! Depends on what YOU like.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Can't say until the turbo 4 version comes out. I will offer this experience though...

I had an Audi A4 turbo (1.8T) - loved it, first turbo car I had owned. Over time, I wanted a more linear feel.
Moved into a 996TT - loved it. eye popping thrust. After a few months, the one trick pony got old. Wanted better balance and more engagement.
Got a '13 GTI as a temporary car, 2.0 turbo. Much more 'refined' than the A4, Front wheel drive vs quattro felt alot more playful, however it was a bit jerky, hard to be very smooth as you have to work to keep the turbo spooled and ready.
Finally going into a CGTS, Flat6 and looking forward to it.

Friend is a die hard M3 fan, has had various flavors thru the years, loves the 8 cylinder engine. He tried the 335 (twin turbo 6) - dumped it after 2 years and back to an M3. Recently got the M4 (twin turbo 6) - I drove it - it is a beast, similar feel the to 996TT. After 8 months, I asked him about it - he can't wait to get back to a NA engine.

Bottom line...If you never had a turbo car, there is likely an alluring feel once you try turbo (wheeeee).

Once you have had a turbo car, you cannot wait to get back to NA.

(Your mileage may vary - this is just one persons experience)

·
Registered
737 Posts
No one can tell you what you should prefer, and this really is a subjective choice based on how you feel about engine responsiveness, power delivery, noise...

Unless of course you care about the theoretical MPG savings, or the not-so-theoretical increased power/torque of the 981.2 GTS, or decreased numbers of the base and S models. Those are really the only objective measurements that you can compare, thus far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 400whp 335i... I love it. Daily driven. Don't trust it. LOL. I have to be careful because of it's tendency to oversteer. It's a beast and I absolutely love it.
I also have a CGTS. I love it. More than weekend driven. LOL. I trust the **** out of it. I went around a corner a bit quickly when it was wet the other day and there was no drama, and It surprised me. If I did that in the BMW... HA! It is much better to control and I love it.

Point is... you'd love it regardless. Stop thinking so much. :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think it really depends on what you are looking for - will the 4 be "faster"? Probably - because the FI route gives you more torque and much more quickly in the rev range.

My last three cars were FI BMWs (135, 135, M235) and I will say that after 6 weeks in the 981 CS, I don't miss the torque...the NA is much more visceral and exciting in my opinion - you get real induction and exhaust noise, and instant throttle response. Those things are exacerbated in the Cayman too - the damn thing is howling right behind your ear...

But I have buddies who are torque lovers and their turbos "do it" for them - it just depends on what you're looking to accomplish with the new car. :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
I drove a Z4 turbo 4, no emotion to the sound.
The Flat 6 just sings at high rpm!
I'm keeping mine.-Richard

Reactions: H man

·
Registered
198 Posts
ok, now seriously. 987.2 CS is a keeper. you get the DFI in a 987. if it is a 6-speed I would keep that car for a very long time. i tried to scratch my own itch for a new car and kept coming back to the fact that none give me the daily driver pleasure that my cayman does.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd go with the '16 for the 6 cyl.

I'm not sure it's much of a valid comparison, but last weekend I rented a 458 Italia & a MP4-12C on successive days. Driving the Ferrari all day was a blast, loved the engine. The following day after not more than a few miles in the McLaren I wished I was back in the Ferrari. While it was incredibly fast, the turbocharged engine just didn't have the fun of the NA V8.

I imagine having a similar feeling when Porsche switches to forced induction for the Cayman. They may be faster (though with the reported HP numbers we'll see...), but they won't sound nearly as nice and the throttle response won't be the same. They'll still be great (& I may still get one ultimately) but I don't think it'll be quite the same.

If Porsche was switching to turbos for almost any other reason than emissions I'd feel more confident. But the muted sound and delayed throttle response (they may have gotten rid of most of it, but it'll still be present compared to NA) are big negatives. I don't mind my supercharged Exige as there isn't any lag and the supercharger whine is fun, but there is a big difference compared to the howl of a high revving NA engine. NA is just more fun generally. FI has its place (e.g. on the 911TT), but I hate to see it on everything.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Not sure how anyone can answer this question for you besides giving their own preferences. I'd suggest driving some other available cars with FI 4's. I'm sure Porsche will do a good job in the driveability dept but they can't change the laws of physics. Other than what they come up for a soundtrack I imagine it will sound similar to one of Subaru's turbo fours. Probably have similar vibration characteristics. How much lag will depend on sizing and tuning as a guess. If they bring it on quickly the engine probably won't have a stratospheric redline though variable geometry can correct some of this. And yes I'm speculating/extrapolating.

So get out and drive all the other turbo fours you can find not just boxers. If you don't like them odds are you won't like the new Porsche offering either. You already know what the NA boxer 6 is like to compare to. Driving the cars is more fun than asking a bunch of guys on the internet anyway.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It will be a similar reaction that BMW fans had/have with the changeover from the NA v8 and the I6 turbo. Both have very similar peak HP numbers, but the torque is almost 100 lb/ft difference.

Many enthusiasts prefer the old NA V8 over the new turbo I6 motor even though the new one is quicker. Reasons for this are various- lower redline, doesn't sound the same, throttle response, car should be NA, etc.
For comparison, I know I've also read about journalists preferring the current NA flat 6 Cayman over the new M4. So while I think that the new F4 turbo 981 will attract some buyers and scratch that torque itch and certainly feel (and likely be) faster around town, IDK if that will necessarily translate into the preferred setup when comparing the two motors.

I think it's a somewhat appropriate motor for the new M3/M4 because the cars have gotten much larger and heavier and that extra torque is necessary, but with the 981 platform we're not quite there yet. The cars are still quick and fun (and sound great) with the flat 6.

I think the answer to your question though is to simply wait until the 2017 turbo 981's hit the dealer lots in late 2016 and test drive one. I you don't like it purchase a leftover 2016 if you still feel the need for something new.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If you're ambivalent about turbos, the boosted flat-four might work for you. I'm far from ambivalent, thus not very objective, but here's my .02 cents: I've never driven a turbocharged sports car I liked (including the 996TT I bought new and all manner of BMWs). EVERY one has turbo lag to greater or lesser degrees, and they generally sound like there's a vacuum cleaner somewhere under the sheet metal. If none of this matters to you...get yourself a MY17. Otherwise, snag one of the last NA flat-6s and life happily ever after.

Reactions: Kaxon

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I tried to post a few hours back with the new app, it took the post and then it dissappeared from the thread... hmmmm!

Anyway, regarding your comments on how you love the 2011 CS, this will be a tough decision, the new cars will have their positive aspects, then again you already know how much fun the NA flat-6 feels and how it sounds. These will be different but related beasts, a lot of people (me included) decided that we would take one last kick at that NA can and order a 2016 981.

Time is a bit of an equalizer, the MY17's are supposed to come out early to mid 2016 so you wouldn't have a long wait, but that also means that if want to order a 2016 NA the time is now, or nearly past!

I would have to drive a T4 before deciding, since that is not yet possible I voted with an order, you seem to like the 2011 CS, if you want to stick with a flat-6 you can now jump ahead 5 model years and cruise for quite awhile before another decision is needed. :)

Good luck with the choice!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for everyone's replies.
I know it's a subjective choice but I value all your thoughts and opinions.
The last car I have owned this long was my 94 BMW 325is. Keep it for 8 yrs, 100k miles. Sold it for 10k
Until my current CS, I keep looking, always looking, getting excited, being disappointed..etc, etc
My mind says keep it, no update, no get a 2015 corvette, I didn't but my wife did, I drive it when she's on business but I like my CS better.
I will probably always be in the Porsche family, Cayman/Boxter, 911 only...sorry everyone else just real sport cars.
I'm just itching ... But I don't want to pay more for less when I may be able to pay less for more, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I love my current 11 CS. I'm itching for something new, from Porsche only but would like to see AR Guilia QV or M2 or 17 C63AMG coupe. No kids, no problems.

Cheers
Looks like we have very similar taste in cars. I am also considering the M2 or the C63 S AMG Coupe as potential next cars. My CS is a 2010. However, I just drove a C400 4-matic for a week and its' steering was completely dead and lifeless.

I am not extremely excited about the four cylinder turbos and it will be very hard to justify spending 70-80K on those.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts