Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 25 and recently fallen for Porsche Caymans! My current vehicle is a pickup that I've owned for 7 years it is horrible on gas and may not last much longer..So ive convinced myself I deserve better. Buying a used cayman would save me money on gas and would put a huge smile on my face, now if I could only afford one that still has low miles.. ok so here it is, I've found a 07 base with only 30k miles he has only owned it since spring it was traded in at the dealership where he works he claims he is a car *****(prob got a great deal on it) he is asking 24k but there is a catch it's had 5 owners and has a dirty carfax the accident didn't involve another car but did deployed airbags it was fixed at dealer. looks and drives great.. he is firm on $22,500 but has been listed for a month

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Get a Pre purchase inspection and if it all checks out ...go for it! Looks nice ...Good Luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Carfax reports are over rated. With today's technology they can bring cars back to near perfect condition. If you know what you are looking for or have someone you trust who does a dirty carfax can be your best friend when buying a car however when you go to sell the car that same dirty carfax will be your worst enemy. The big problem with a Porsche like this is every service and repair is twice as expansive as a normal car so if does have problems you better have deep pockets.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not sure about price levels in the U.S., but a car with such significant repairs will demand a huge discount. That said, it is not necessarily a bad car, if repaired by a good workshop, it might be as good as new and you might get a good dealif you are able to negotiate the price to acceptable levels. I bought mine with 3 previous owners in 3 years, which resulted in a low price despite low mileage and accident free. Anyway, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
A couple of thoughts to protect you before purchase. Does the dealer offer at least some limited time and mileage warranty? See if, as part of prepurchase inspection, you can get a thorough check of the alignment (i.e., checking for how straight the car is.......) this would be an area about which i would be concerned if the accident was severe enough.....body can be fixed but underneath not as easy to detect and impact much more severe if faulty.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Run, don't walk away from this as others have said. No need to bother with a Cayman with issues. Be patient and search often and you'll find what you're looking for.

This is a fine example at what's out there. Above your car's asking price by a chuck of change, but this is what you should be looking for, only with more mileage.

2007 Porsche Cayman S 6MT White 22k Miles Original Owner Excellent

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. And don't forget the most expensive car you'll ever own is a "cheap" Porsche.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
IF the car checked out in a PPI and IF you were going to keep it for a long time, you might be able to pull a deal on this one (certainly lower than the $22.5K). Keeping it many yrs could negate the hit the salvage title brings.

But you're young. Your life is going to take you several directions before you hit 30. Chances are you won't keep this one for a variety of reasons - some young thing snags you and you get married, you get a promotion and you want a newer Cayman, you decide you want an S. Blah, blah, blah. The reason doesn't matter but the result does. You'll have a hard time selling this one or you'll take a bath on it if you trade it in if you have to move it in short order. There's nothing wrong with wanting a base Cayman, you just want to be able to have good options available to you a yr or 2 down the road.

There are LOTS of base 07 Caymans in the $25-26K range. You'd be way better off spending a few extra thousand for a clean car with no stories. Then in a few yrs when you need to get rid of it, you'll have a much easier time.

Here's a link for some fun perusing:

Rideslist.com - car classifieds (sfbay)

Don't fall in love with the first one you see. Good luck with your journey.

Reactions: B8_RDC and sdj

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Based on mileage and number of prior owners, the car has been dumped by several owners after a short period of ownership. There are reasons why and none are positive. In my opinion this "dream" car is likely to become a nightmare if you buy it. Pretty pictures and good detailing can hide future aggravation. You should definitely pass if absorbing $2,000+ in repairs and maintenance is beyond your financial ability. Porsche parts and repairs can be expensive.

I too would run from this car.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
IMO, any car with lots of owners bothers me. There is a reason no one is keeping it. Its really hard to find a good used car. If its good, people hang onto it...otherwise their is always a reason they trade in or sell. 5 times is a bit much...almost 1 time per year.

There's gotta be more out there and I'd weigh my options before settling.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
i agree run away.... look around be patient.. i bought my 09 for $27k.. had 45kmiles on it.. but then I wasnt patient when i was 22 either...lmao!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Keep looking, 5 owners and an accident is a bit too much for such a young car. Less owners and full documentation of the carfax incident would be the only way I would be comfortable with the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't settle, run!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts