Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here - and new to Porsche. I've been saving for a long time to buy a Cayman and have put in an order for a Cayman GTS (http://www.porsche-code.com/PGM16IA7).

I'm expecting an August build and have been told to expect delivery in September. HOWEVER, today I've been reading all about the facelift Cayman builds for 2016 delivery.

I definitely don't want a flat-four, and as I understand it the flat-six will still be available alongside, but here's why I'm thinking of delaying:

1) Once the news of a facelift becomes well known, surely Porsche will incentivise (through bundled extra's/'special editions') people like me to keep their orders - should I wait a few months for this to happen and get some free stuff?
2) Do I wait for the facelift and buy a flat-6? When do you think I would have to wait until to receive one?
3) Do I just stick it out and buy the one I've ordered? I'm buying it on a 4 year finance deal so am worried about re-sale when I come to sell it (which should hopefully be just before a brand-new Cayman is released).

Really appreciate your experienced advice - like I said I'm new to Porsche (drive an A5 now), and just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Black editions have already been announced. I doubt there will be anything special for the GTS.
The facelift cars will all be I-4s. If you want a 6, you'll have to try to get a GT4 allocation- good luck on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, where does it say hat there will ONLY be 4's? I read most articles saying they would be "offered", which I took to mean there was a choice between 4's and 6's.

Also - where have Black Edition Cayman's been announced? I've seen boxers, not Cayman's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Actually, every interview with Porsche management has indicated the change to turbocharged fours, one example:

Speaking with Automotive News (subscription required), Mueller said the Boxster and Cayman would adopt four-cylinder power in mid-2016, which is when facelifted versions of both cars are due. Prototypes for the cars, which arrive as 2017 models, have already been spotted.

There is little likelihood that these cars will be offered alongside NA sixes. The reason for the change is emissions and economy. There are
numerous posts and articles in the forum on just this topic.

QUOTE=OriginalCopycat;951099]Hi, where does it say hat there will ONLY be 4's? I read most articles saying they would be "offered", which I took to mean there was a choice between 4's and 6's.

Also - where have Black Edition Cayman's been announced? I've seen boxers, not Cayman's.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
626 Posts
As above, lots of chatter about the turbo fours in the forum.
No cayman black edition, only boxster and 911 base. I think he's saying don't expect any other new editions to roll out.
Youve got a very nice build. I would get what you want rather than hope it will be available later on. Right now no one knows what the overall reaction will be to the new lineup.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
You are over thinking the whole process.

1) Once the news of a facelift becomes well known, surely Porsche will incentivise (through bundled extra's/'special editions') people like me to keep their orders - should I wait a few months for this to happen and get some free stuff?[/COLOR][/FONT]
You've already placed your order. I wouldn't expect a lot of "free stuff" from the dealer to make you keep your order.

2) Do I wait for the facelift and buy a flat-6? When do you think I would have to wait until to receive one?[/COLOR][/FONT]
Facelifts come out all the time. Well, not all the time but every three or four years. Buy/lease a car and sooner or later there will be a facelift. The car that you have will be old news. That's just what happens when you buy a new car.

3) Do I just stick it out and buy the one I've ordered? I'm buying it on a 4 year finance deal so am worried about re-sale when I come to sell it (which should hopefully be just before a brand-new Cayman is released).[/COLOR][/FONT]
I wouldn't worry about resale. People are still buying used 987s. There is someone out there who will buy a used 981 when the time comes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've already placed your order. I wouldn't expect a lot of "free stuff" from the dealer to make you keep your order.
I've given them a returnable deposit of £3,000 which I can cancel with full refund.

I'm also, not suggesting that the dealer give me free stuff, I was asking if it's possible or likely that Porsche would release a special edition that includes a load of extras free to entice people who are thinking of buying now (knowing there's a facelift coming) to buy now rather than wait.

Facelifts come out all the time. Well, not all the time but every three or four years. Buy/lease a car and sooner or later there will be a facelift. The car that you have will be old news. That's just what happens when you buy a new car.
Agreed, but I'm buying one now, knowing that a facelift is around the corner. It's the worst time for three or four years to buy - hence my dilemma.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No one on here can tell you definitively whether or not another new edition will come out soon. Porsche has already released the GTS which does just that. Since the next generation is well along the way and the assembly lines are already working at full capacity on GT4's and GTS versions, I would suspect that there are no new editions coming before the facelift. If you don't want a turbo four, I think you have the build you're looking for. Additionally, since there is a big market for NA six cars, why would Porsche have to offer incentives to sell the last of the sixes? IMHO, if you want the six you just continue on with your order and not worry about what comes next. If you cancel and wait for the 2017, and if they are all turbocharged fours, will you be happy with your decision? Ultimately, it's a purchase of a car, not a life and death decision.

I've given them a returnable deposit of £3,000 which I can cancel with full refund.

I'm also, not suggesting that the dealer give me free stuff, I was asking if it's possible or likely that Porsche would release a special edition that includes a load of extras free to entice people who are thinking of buying now (knowing there's a facelift coming) to buy now rather than wait.

Agreed, but I'm buying one now, knowing that a facelift is around the corner. It's the worst time for three or four years to buy - hence my dilemma.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's been long rumoured that the 2017 models will be having the new 4 cyclinder turbo.

The only "source" I've read differently was one random blog that was posted yesterday. Hardly a legitimate source of information.

People have predicted the facelift 911 to come out first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No one on here can tell you definitively whether or not another new edition will come out soon. Porsche has already released the GTS which does just that. Since the next generation is well along the way and the assembly lines are already working at full capacity on GT4's and GTS versions, I would suspect that there are no new editions coming before the facelift. If you don't want a turbo four, I think you have the build you're looking for. Additionally, since there is a big market for NA six cars, why would Porsche have to offer incentives to sell the last of the sixes? IMHO, if you want the six you just continue on with your order and not worry about what comes next. If you cancel and wait for the 2017, and if they are all turbocharged fours, will you be happy with your decision? Ultimately, it's a purchase of a car, not a life and death decision.

You know what, Michael? You're spot on.

I didn't realise that the new models would ONLY be in a turbo four setup. I'm sure they'll be brilliant, but I want a 6.

I suspect a lot of other people will want the last of the 6'ers in the future, when I come to sell, too. Also, I'm buying on PCP, so if the turbo 4's are the bees knees then I can just hand the car back, if they're not as good and everyone wants the old 6 on the second hand market, I can buy the car from the finance company and sell at a profit.

Thanks everyone.

One last decision - Flat White or Metallic White???

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Porsche would release a special edition that includes a load of extras free to entice people who are thinking of buying now (knowing there's a facelift coming) to buy now rather than wait.
This is kinda what the GTS is. :)

Reactions: Jeff78 and Mike R.

·
Registered
794 Posts
One last decision - Flat White or Metallic White???
Duh. Flat. If God had intended white to be a metallic color, clouds would have metal flecks in them.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Has anyone compared white and metallic white side by side on cars? I've been told the difference is subtle. I've also heard that the metallic white has a hint of blue.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Before I ordered mine, I thought I wanted the non-metallic white.

Then I saw pictures of metallic white and definitely wanted that.
Went to dealer and saw them side by side - I preferred the non metallic white.

After looking at a number of colors, I concluded that I did not prefer any of the metallic colors...but that is just me - some people love them.

Has anyone compared white and metallic white side by side on cars? I've been told the difference is subtle. I've also heard that the metallic white has a hint of blue.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's very subtle. Saw 2 911's with the colors next to each other at the dealer. Carrara white has a smokey hue to it, like the marble it's named after.
I prefer it over the non metallic white but they both look very good.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've had both Carrara White and Pure White and as you can see my current 15 CS is Pure white. I think it just looks cleaner. Order now, don't wait for a new engine in the first year. Get the Six!

Reactions: Steff BGTS

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I'd say if you want n.a.six - you keep your order. There will be no facelift before .2 upgrade. And that will most probably include change to turbo-4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've had both Carrara White and Pure White and as you can see my current 15 CS is Pure white. I think it just looks cleaner. Order now, don't wait for a new engine in the first year. Get the Six!
I'd say if you want n.a.six - you keep your order. There will be no facelift before .2 upgrade. And that will most probably include change to turbo-4.
Cheers guys ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts