Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm signed up for a track day this coming monday but the weather looks poor, 70% chance of rain and its going to be bad all week in CA.

This will be my first track day, I can still cancel until 6am tomorrow for a $50 fee. What do you all think?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
yeah. Wait for good weather.

Track Weather

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Sonoma,%20ca&wuSelect=WEATHER

Special Weather Statement

Freeze watch in effect from late Monday night through Tuesday morning...

Sunday Night
Rain and snow mixed.

Snow level 500 feet with light accumulations.

Monday 80% Chance of Precipitation

Lows in the upper 20s to mid 30s.

East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Rain and a slight chance of thunderstorms.

Snow level 500 feet.

Highs in the upper 30s to mid 40s.

Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph...becoming north in the afternoon.

Monday Night
Partly cloudy and cold.

A chance of rain or snow showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening.

Clearing late.

Lows in the 20s to lower 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Chance of precipitation 20 percent.

This will be my first track day, I can still cancel until 6am tomorrow for a $50 fee. What do you all think?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sears on a dry day is not the best SF Bay Area track to cut your teeth on. It's an unforgiving track in the dry and a car eater in the wet. Same can be said for Leguna. Sure, you can "learn a lot" going slower on a wet track but you can also slide a lot sooner into some tough, expensive situations.

Wait for a date at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow to start with.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Sears on a dry day is not the best SF Bay Area track to cut your teeth on. It's an unforgiving track in the dry and a car eater in the wet. Same can be said for Leguna. Sure, you can "learn a lot" going slowing on a wet track) but you can also slide a lot sooner into some tough, expensive situations.

+1 - What Sergio said...

brad

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Wow, odd. My answer would be DEFINITELY go. You will learn more and by going slower under safer conditions. Though I am assuming that you are going to a Novice School, not open lapping track day. No novices should go to open lapping track days.

I am assuming that you will spend 1/2 day doing avoidance exercises, and ABS braking and skid pad. All of these would benefit from little rain.

Then your time at the track will be limited and relatively slow.

Now, I do live in Seattle and started going to track days in my Audi S4. Rain is not something I have luxury to avoid. In CA, rain is treated more like snow in the rest of the country. But I would go in snow too. Actually I have, even more fun!

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Wow, odd. My answer would be DEFINITELY go. You will learn more and by going slower under safer conditions. Though I am assuming that you are going to a Novice School, not open lapping track day. No novices should go to open lapping track days.

I am assuming that you will spend 1/2 day doing avoidance exercises, and ABS braking and skid pad. All of these would benefit from little rain.

Then your time at the track will be limited and relatively slow.

Now, I do live in Seattle and started going to track days in my Audi S4. Rain is not something I have luxury to avoid. In CA, rain is treated more like snow in the rest of the country. But I would go in snow too. Actually I have, even more fun!
Have you ever driven Sears Point? Between me and Sergio, we probably have hundreds of laps on this track. This is a very technical, and unforgiving track, with little or no run-off room - walls everywhere - a tough place to do a first track day even under the best of conditions. there is no such thing as "safe conditions" at this track in the rain. I usually encourage people to go to track days in the rain, because a lot can be learned that way, but given the information provided - there's no information if there is a "clinic" for new students or not - I believe the best advice, given the multiple factors of a slick track, NO experience, and the track configuration itself, is to have the OP try his first track day elsewhere or under better conditions.

brad

·
On Probation
582 Posts
go ..you will learn much

·
Registered
159 Posts
NOrmally I would say go, but I am not familiar with that track and in this case would defer to the experts that know the track and wait for a better day

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd go and drive at 6/10ths as long as you don't have to have a window down.

G

P.S I signed up for Buttonwillow at the end of the month and I am going rain or shine, the only difference is if I use track or street tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there isn't per se a driving school b/c they couldn't fill that session. so what happened is that it was merged with the solo group:

Mandatory passing on straights with point-by, optional passing in some turns

But I would have an instructor in my car at all times.

I've decided at this point to cancel the day.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Sears on a dry day is not the best SF Bay Area track to cut your teeth on. It's an unforgiving track in the dry and a car eater in the wet. Same can be said for Laguna. Sure, you can "learn a lot" going slower on a wet track but you can also slide a lot sooner into some tough, expensive situations.

+1

I would say Infineon is worse than Laguna, IMO.

Thunderhill is such a great track.

You could probably have a perfectly fine first day at Infineon in the rain as many others have in the past, but the comments are spot on. Our Caymans don't like hitting walls. They are funny that way.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i dont know....
i have 300+ track day. i dont understand why there are ever beginners at sp. it's like doing HALO jump the first time you are jumping.

some ppl think LS is a tight track. well, LS is wide wide wide open compared to SP.

driven at 1/10 you may go off at sears. one mishap at carousel you are off, if you lift throttle at T1 or T2, you are dead meat. a little too early on thorottle at T11, you hit wall. a little too late in braking at entering T11, you hit wall. drift onto berms entering T10, you will completely destroy your car no matter how slow you are going. there's a river on the straight before T7. you can drive straight, no braking no str input, you will hit the wall on your left. i seen it happen many many times. through the esses, you blink your eyes the wrong way, you will hit a wall. you come off into hot pit wrong, you will hit the pit wall. i have seen cars hit the wall b/n exiting hot pit and before T1, that's like 50 yard of driving .....

sears is for very experienced drivers to risk their cars and luck not a place for first track day.

i have raced at infineon in the wet, i did it only b/c it's a race, and i was ready to write off the car. and it was scary!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'd go and drive at 6/10ths as long as you don't have to have a window down.

G

P.S I signed up for Buttonwillow at the end of the month and I am going rain or shine, the only difference is if I use track or street tires.
there's only two walls at BW to hit.
if you go off, stay straight you be fine.
BW is a good track to learn.

infineon is not. there are walls and walls and nothing but walls.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I tracked Infineon for the first time in October when conditions were good to excellent. It was my first track day and I enjoyed the hell out of it and really like the track but I wouldn't drive it in the rain no matter how skilled I was.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
When I read the first post my opinion was definitely go! However, after reading for people who apparently know the track. I now say, DONT!

I'd like to do a track day in the wet, but on a forgiving track that I can learn on, not a tight track with walls that I fear!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can't add much here - I've done track time in the rain and loved it!

However, given the specific venue, if I had posted the original question, one look at "mooty's" post and some of the others would have me waiting for dry conditions or looking for another track.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So... did anyone run at Sears this weekend/ How as the track (wet, moist, dry) and how did the event go?

From what I can tell, it appears that the predicted rain was a "no show". But it was cold enough to adversely affect tire temps,

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
When I read the first post my opinion was definitely go! However, after reading for people who apparently know the track. I now say, DONT!

I'd like to do a track day in the wet, but on a forgiving track that I can learn on, not a tight track with walls that I fear!
Don't fear, respect. Fear causes panic and bad decisions, respect means you drive your car there at ever increasing speeds as you learn your capabilities and your car's. Unless you are just a complete lead foot fool the car's capabilities will far exceed yours until you learn the track and improve your skills. Hopefully you will have a good instructor with you, as I did, and they will assess your capabilities and force you to set goals that they will coach you through as you gain lap time. The two instructors I had my first day were invaluable and my first one really helped me figure things out when he let me ride in his spec Boxster when it was his turn to run. That's when you really figure it out if you're paying attention. Have fun (because it is and you will more than likely get hooked as I did) respect where you are and work up to things at your own pace, set goals for yourself and ignore the cars passing you, shake off mistakes and remain focused. You'll probably find, as I did, that in the afternoon laps your the one passing the cars:cheers:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Don't fear, respect. Fear causes panic and bad decisions, respect means you drive your car there at ever increasing speeds as you learn your capabilities and your car's. Unless you are just a complete lead foot fool the car's capabilities will far exceed yours until you learn the track and improve your skills. Hopefully you will have a good instructor with you, as I did, and they will assess your capabilities and force you to set goals that they will coach you through as you gain lap time. The two instructors I had my first day were invaluable and my first one really helped me figure things out when he let me ride in his spec Boxster when it was his turn to run. That's when you really figure it out if you're paying attention. Have fun (because it is and you will more than likely get hooked as I did) respect where you are and work up to things at your own pace, set goals for yourself and ignore the cars passing you, shake off mistakes and remain focused. You'll probably find, as I did, that in the afternoon laps your the one passing the cars:cheers:
You're totally right, but... Knowing there is no room for error would make me worried.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts