Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my car only since December 25, 2014. My car just crossed 40,000 miles and I was planning on replacing my brake pads today but surprise of surprises, when I took off the tires I found out there were no pad sensors to be found.

The car is an 06 CaymanS and I assume all the cars came with pad sensors and at some point the pads were replaced and the sensors were not reinstalled. I found my pads were in very good shape (see attached photo).

My question is, if I plan to install new pads every year or so, is there any reason to install sensors? I do a couple of track days a year and a few autocrosses.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
i dont know if you have a dedicated track pads... for street pad yes.. but if not.. just keep on checking the thinckness..

lemon

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you regularly check the pads, then no need for the sensors. I've found though that pads will wear in a tapered manner, so you should check both outer and inner pads, leading and trailing edges. Also from your photo, it looks like the rotor has some wear, so a good idea to check the thickness. And with track use -check for cracking around the holes- if the cracks connect between holes or extend to the edges the rotors should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lemon and zedcat - thank you for the advice. I changed the brake fluid which prompted me to change the brake pads, although as I say, the front pads looked pretty fresh. I'll check the back pads next weekend. I may go ahead and change all of them to start at "zero wear".
Zedcat, I too noticed a bit of wear on the rotors (although both sides look about the same thickness) now I just have to find my micrometer.

A few weeks ago, while I was at the track for the first time, I noticed on one especially hard braking that the right front felt different than the left, almost like scraping of sandpaper. Even then the brakes pulled straight and not to either side at all. I wondered if that might have been the ABS kicking in?

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you're doing track days, you may not want to use sensors... if you drive hard and heat the brakes enough, they can melt and short out anyway... so useless for track days.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found my micrometer, now where can I find the minimum thickness recommendations for the rotors?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the recommendations:
How close to minimum thickness should the rotors be replaced? Cayman R so assuming the same as the Cayman S:

Rotor Thickness Original Minimum
Cayman S Front - 318mm Dia. 28 mm 26 mm
Cayman S Rear - 299mm Dia. 24 mm 22 mm

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Thickness is mass. Nothing magic about any exact number. You can run them at minimum and as long as no cracks develop they will be ok. BUT less thickness--- less mass--- less mass--- less ability to handle heat. Are you running track pads?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
No! Just look at the pad thickness when you wash your wheels. Replace them when they are about half worn (pads are cheap) and you'll protect the expensive parts of your brakes. Wear them thin, down to the sensors, and you'll be cooking your calipers and pistons. The choice is yours. Many people, even people who track their cars, seem unaware of this simple fact.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You will be in there enough that I wouldn't use the sensors. Plus, trac kpads can't take sensors anyway, and I am certain you'll be up to track pads at some point if you keep up the DEs -

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thickness is mass. Nothing magic about any exact number. You can run them at minimum and as long as no cracks develop they will be ok. BUT less thickness--- less mass--- less mass--- less ability to handle heat. Are you running track pads?
Well said, thanks.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the sound advice :) Rotors and pads are good until the next track day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts