Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2014 CS with the standard suspension and contemplating once again on putting the X73 kit on. I debated back in March to do this but then opted to wait and do headers, exhaust and a protune. For those of you with the sport suspension, would you still recommend for a weekend driver (no track use just city (Houston)/country driving - more spirited when the wife is not with me)? I actually would welcome the improved handling and stiffer ride that I have been reading about on the forums, but my primary concern is clearance. I do have concerns on getting up my driveway (fairly steep incline but not ridiculous) as well as entering/exiting everywhere else. I guess worst case is one could just replace the low hanging black plastic pieces in front of front tires and on the front spoiler if necessary. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you are not at the track, you may want to keep what you got. If it is PASM you may want to look at a DSC box to electronically tune the suspension to be a little stiffer and still have the sport and normal options.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Or just add the x73 sway bars and keep your std springs. a much cheaper change.

Could add the x73 spring later if still desired

·
Registered
404 Posts
Heck, if you've done headers, exhaust, etc., why not? The X73 is relatively inexpensive and easy to install (unlike the GT3 in the front.) With all those upgrades on a great car, I'd encourage you to track it at least some. The lessons you learn from an instructor in novice sessions will give you a much greater experience just driving the car on the streets.

You didn't mention tires, which would make a huge difference for you. Look at the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Why, why, why? If your not going to track the car the X73 is not only a total waste of money, it will stiffen the ride and you will be plagued with clearance issues. IMO; Don't Do IT!

·
Registered
710 Posts
With X73, GT3 LCAs with 13 mm of shims, and shorter 19 inch Cup 2 tires my car is 30+ mm lower than stock just like a GT4. It works just fine here in Dallas on my driveway, but yes I take it at a 45 degree angle. I don't really have problems around town, but there are certain places I might avoid, and other shopping center entrances or speed bumps that I just can't drive over. It is up to you and what your surrounds will allow, and what type of feeling you want when you are driving your car.

If someone just gave you a GT4 would you not drive it because it is too low?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to take some measurements this weekend and maybe some photos of my current clearance situation. As of now, I am leaning towards just doing it. I may try to test drive a car with the ss or PASM sport to see how the clearance is. Porsche really should market lift systems for all of their coupes. I would buy it.

If someone gave me a GT4 I would most definitely drive it, but I would likely have to store it offsite.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I drove a Cayman R as a daily driver for 2 years. The suspension on that is essentially the X73. I did not find the ride hard/harsh nor did I have any substantiive issues with scraping. I had a 2014 Cayman with standard suspension and when I ordered my 2016 Cayman I optioned it with the X73. I can give you an apples to apples compare.............I felt little ride difference but did enjoy the lowered stance AND improved handling through the twisties (even less body lean and increased feel for knowing where the wheels were in the turn as the front end loaded up....).

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Those air deflectors are rubber and will bend if you hit a speed bump and can easily be replaced.

So I started down the modification road, and quickly found out that the install price is pretty steep for just the springs and sway bars. If you go this direction, adjustable shocks, adjustable sway bars, ride height, stance enhancements and corner balance/moderate alignment are all great suspension tools. This gives you the ability to adjust to your own style of sporty behavior. From a cost prospective, doing these modification fully the first time, makes sense if you are going to keep the car for a few years. Just changing springs and sway bars with the install price, then later needing to upgrade to adjustable equipment and the additional install charge, due to stickier tires really hurts.

If your driveway can take 25mm drop, then you can have that cranked into your coilovers or less if necessary all the way up to OEM drop. You can specify your spring rate or just buy a standard setup like Ohlin Road and Track or JRZ RS1. Tarett GT adjustable swaybars are also a good way to go allowing for a more aggressive bar or not (5 holes in front and 4 holes in the rear). Tarett down links are also a must when changing to adjustable bars. Finally your tires then will dictate how much front and rear bar to crank in for a neutral cornering setup especially if you change tire brands and the tire patch is not the same as a standard 981 or you would like a stickier tire that changes the understeer/oversteer balance and stickier tires can add much more body roll. This suspension package can be much stiffer than OEM equipment, its up to you.
Or, you can just buy the X73 all in one system, which your wife may enjoy more than a custom suspension. But it lacks corner balance, compression/rebound, drop adjustability, balance change, or roll adjustment, but you still have tire pressures. Its like writing a research paper, you are forced to learn new material that adds to the enjoyment of the sport. Call a top suspension shop in your area for details of custom coilovers, swaybars, cornerbalance vs X-73 as they have experience with both systems.

Once you start using R rated tires like RE71R's, then higher spring rates, adjustable sway bars make sense along with more camber than OEM will give you. Cayman R would be in the 987 Boxster Spyder category. Ohlins spring rate is 70 front and 80 rear. Not sure about the total range of the Tarett GT adjustable swaybars for 987 Caymans. You can quickly add the spring rates and swaybar rates together to figure out how stiff the suspension is in total. X-73 PDK in the rear would be 50 n/mm (spring rate) plus 41.5 (swaybar)= rear 91.5 n/mm for each back wheel. My springs alone in the rear are 80 n/mm and depending on which of the 4 holes of the swaybar I chose would be higher than 91.5 n/mm. This spring stiffness helps on smooth blacktop tracks using RE71R's or Hoosiers. On rough tracks with a lot of bumps the higher spring stiffness reduces the tire contact patch unless compression and rebound rates are substantially reduced along with much less swaybars compression/rebound meaning a softer hole position would work for me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
......... I'd encourage you to track it at least some. The lessons you learn from an instructor in novice sessions will give you a much greater experience just driving the car on the streets. ........
CWalke1021, the post quoted has so much wisdom that you'll wonder why you waited.
You have the finest race track in North America just up the road in Austin and car clubs rent it every other weekend.
An instructor will help you enjoy the car at a level you can't imagine on street use.
Then decide on what to mod next.
Usually, it's driver skill that can be helped by throwing money at it.

Reactions: CGH3

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you have concerns about your driveway in particular, why not take some measurements (and ask some other X73 owners to do the same) like I did here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/128450-need-favor-measurements-2-gts-owners.html This community is great and the information you need may already exist in the archives. BTW, I love my X73 suspension and highly recommend it, assuming it doesn't scrape too badly on your driveway.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Porsche has probably spent thousands of man hours designing the X73 suspension over the years. It may not be as adjustable as some other set ups, but it is balanced and it just works . So sublime to drive. Again, I have X73 springs and bars with PASM shocks controlled by a DSC sport controller. Kinda the equivalent to the more current sport PASM. I can run in the soft mode or sport mode with a touch of a button, and can adjust the shock settings for each wheel independently with a G table with 484 points of adjustment. Further overlays of adjustment come with braking, acceleration, rate of change on the shocks, and the overall stiffness range of the shock itself. With all of this to consider and play with, the car feels and of course handles best on the stiffest setting which matches the OEM X73 shock. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to have the softer setting for the ride home from the track, but if I only had one choice though, it would the sport setting, hands down.

·
Registered
185 Posts
To the OP, I also keep coming back to the x73 suspension. I have a 2015 CS with standard suspension. We have a second home in the mountains and some really curvy roads. It handles quite well but I can feel the body roll. The thing that bothers me most is when it is parked, it just looks like there is too much space between the fender lip and the tires. I have the 20" 911 Turbo Wheels and the tires look like rubber bands. There is about 2" of space. A friend was over with his 997 Turbo and it is slammed compared to mine. I also spent $2800 on Soul Performance Street Headers so the X73 kit at SunCoast is a bargain.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The downside is you will be scraping the spoiler more. And there may be one dip somewhere sometime, where you do some damage. Unless you have back problems, id say do it. But you will have to be more careful to avoid scraping...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.