Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I might be leaving Western Canada and moving to Eastern Canada, to which I'll probably have to sell my car or ship it across. My car is from 2010, manual transmission, and carrera white. She's got about 13,000 km's or 8000 miles on the odometer and she's never been in an accident, I am the second owner. I've only had her for about 2 months before I put her away for the winter.

Again, my biggest reason for wanting to sell is that I might be moving across the nation, I'm still pending admission but I think I'll be accepted. My other reason is that I kind of like the 981 one more in terms of appearance, but I heard the performance of the 987.2 is much more track oriented whereas the 981 is more road. I've never driven the 981 but I assume it's true.

If I do keep her, I'll probably keep her for life, to pass onto my kids, and I'd smack them if they sold it. I really intend for it to reach 50-60 years old, maybe older. Do you think her value will go up if she stays in mint condition? I am assuming it will be valued like the 912 is today, which was the cheaper alternative to the 911.

I am thinking around $55,000 CDN. Is that reasonable? It comes with every option except PASM and Ceramic breaks, and half power seats, inclined is powered. So Bose sound system, Bi-xenon headlights, sports seats with crest, sports crono package and a lot of other things. I have the original receipt at like $95,000 I think.

Advise please?

imgur: the simple image sharer
My babe and my friend's Chaser behind it!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The Canadian market for used Caymans has changed in the past 18 months with the Canadian dollar going sideways. As you are likely aware, very few 987.2s were sold in Canada compared to the U.S., so the available pool of cars is small. When the dollar was healthier, Canadian buyers had the option of bringing up a car from the States, getting access to a larger inventory of good cars and potentially saving a few dollars in the process. (Canadians still have the option of buying in the States: it's just not attractive financially these days.)

At current exchange rates, any serious Canadian buyer would - in my view - deem your car well priced at $55,000, or maybe even a bit higher. If you sell it, though, you'll be looking at buying a replacement 981 in Canada from a dealer or a private party at a premium Canadian price as those super deals we see on '13 and '14s in the States get mighty pricey once exchange and duty are factored into the equation.

I think all Canadian 987.2s (but especially the 2012s, and all Rs and Spyders) are going to hold their value pretty well as long as the Can. $ is in the toilet...but the exclusivity that 987.2s currently enjoy in the Canadian market (there were only a few hundred sold in total) gets wiped out in the event the Canadian dollar recovers to near par with the U.S. Dollar. If that happens any time in the next 20 years (which is highly likely in my view) the Canadian market will be flooded with American cars, and any hope of maintaining higher values for original Canadian cars disappears.

Before making a decision on what to do with your Cayman, I suggest calling one of the Alberta dealers and arranging some seat time (at least a couple of hours) in a 981. In some ways it is very different than a 987.2, but I suggest that saying one is more track oriented and one is more suited to the road is inaccurate: both are equally at home in both environments, with the 981 platform having the slight edge in comfort over a similarly equipped 987.2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gcurnew,

That's a pretty in depth reply and I appreciate it. After some more thought, I think she's a keeper. You're definitely right about the whole market analysis, I think the car will hold it's value alright as well. I guess I'll be packing for a long road trip across Canada, tackling on some major mileage.

:D

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Good call. I have no plans to sell our loaded 2012 CS anytime soon. She's a beauty...with PDK, SC, Sport Seats, PASM, PDLS, PCM, Bose, dimming mirrors, Spyder wheels and a bunch of Black options. MSRP on it was in the low '90s, and replacing it would cost over $100k. We paid WAY less than MSRP in 2012...it was the last of two 987.2 Caymans at the dealer (the other wasn't an S), and had only a couple of hundred km on it. We thought seriously about waiting for the 981, but decided we liked this particular CS (and the price) too much to pass it up. No regrets at all.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I had been considering selling my 2012 CS but simply could not bring myself to do it. I had it listed on cars.com but took it off after a few weeks. The 987 is simply an incredible machine and they have such low production numbers, esp here in Canada. There are only 24 Cayman S's for 2012 in Canada (71 for 2010).

I could use the extra money but I know I'll regret it if I sell. I drove a 981 for three days when my car was in the shop and I couldn't wait to get my car back. Make sure you drive one for a few days before you sell you 987. In my opinion, they are very different cars in terms of feel.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
lol...7west, you and I represent almost 10% of the 2012 Canadian Cayman S owners. Any others on P9? Our CS was actually a Porsche-configured car that was built for Camp4...very well optioned, but decidedly monochromatic (which my wife and I really like). Based on the photos from that year's Camp4 there are two others in Canada that look just like it (can't be sure if they are optioned the same though).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I had been considering selling my 2012 CS but simply could not bring myself to do it. I had it listed on cars.com but took it off after a few weeks. The 987 is simply an incredible machine and they have such low production numbers, esp here in Canada. There are only 24 Cayman S's for 2012 in Canada (71 for 2010).

I could use the extra money but I know I'll regret it if I sell. I drove a 981 for three days when my car was in the shop and I couldn't wait to get my car back. Make sure you drive one for a few days before you sell you 987. In my opinion, they are very different cars in terms of feel.
Tell us a little bit more about the difference in feel, please.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Tell us a little bit more about the difference in feel, please.
Sure. Let's start with the steering. With the 987 you can 'feel' what the surface of the road is like. Moisture, dust, debris, divets etc. That's gone on the new car. I used to ride sportbikes (road and track) and 'feeling' the road from the front tires played a role on how I rode that day. On bikes, I used to slide my front tire a lot in turns when I felt the road surface was ideal. It's a habit I've carried into my Cayman. I had a 981 and that 'feeling' is simply gone.

The cabin on the new car 'feels' hollow and doesn't have that fit like a glove 'feeling'. I like a snug 'feel'. I also use my parking brake when I drive in both summer and winter. Nothing I enjoy more than winter driving and the 'feel' of the rear wheels locking up and 'feeling' the surface of the road through the back tires.

My intention was not to hurt anyone's 'feelings'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts