Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

im currently in a tough pickle and im not sure what i should do about the Cayman. let me give you guys a run through and tell me what you think. any advice would help

Back in march of 2010 i picked up my leftover 09 cayman. i picked her up for 52k (10k off sticker). ive enjoyed her very much and its a great great car. however, my career opportunities might be moving me out of the states into Asia for 1-2 years. during this time the car would probably only be driven once or twice a month while im away and would get no real use out of it as none of my family drives stick. i personally would only get to drive it once or twice a year myself when i come back to visit.

Should i sell it before i leave and take the hit now, or just let it depreciate while im away and keep the car for when i get back to the states( est. time of return isnt for certain)? would the hit i take on selling the cayman be huge?

i was thinking about picking up a GTR after i would get back also... (its been a dream car of mine to own). so what do you guys think? :helpme:

also: my decision on a 2 door, 2 seater, manual car was pure lust. changing cars to a car with auto and more seats would definitely be much more practical for me and the rest of my family (as well as friends). not the biggest concern as i have other cars to drag people around, but would be always a plus to have in multiple situations

·
Registered
80 Posts
Funny, I'm considering the same thing for next time an opportunity pops with my company. Though I'm also thinking of bringing a car, but my Benz would be too big there and the Cayman would require my clutch leg get stronger and I'm worried about service and the inevitable dings.

Are you considering bringing it along or would you just go with a car and driver there?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey guys,

im currently in a tough pickle and im not sure what i should do about the Cayman. let me give you guys a run through and tell me what you think. any advice would help

Back in march of 2010 i picked up my leftover 09 cayman. i picked her up for 52k (10k off sticker). ive enjoyed her very much and its a great great car. however, my career opportunities might be moving me out of the states into Asia for 1-2 years. during this time the car would probably only be driven once or twice a month while im away and would get no real use out of it as none of my family drives stick. i personally would only get to drive it once or twice a year myself when i come back to visit.

Should i sell it before i leave and take the hit now, or just let it depreciate while im away and keep the car for when i get back to the states( est. time of return isnt for certain)? would the hit i take on selling the cayman be huge?

i was thinking about picking up a GTR after i would get back also... (its been a dream car of mine to own). so what do you guys think? :helpme:

also: my decision on a 2 door, 2 seater, manual car was pure lust. changing cars to a car with auto and more seats would definitely be much more practical for me and the rest of my family (as well as friends). not the biggest concern as i have other cars to drag people around, but would be always a plus to have in multiple situations
It sounds like you are going to make the change anyway once you get home. I would sell now while Cayman's are still in high demand. Also the car needs to be driven. If it just sits there that is not a good thing from what I have heard. If you are gone for a year or more who knows what the market will bring and the 2012 model will be new so I say sell now and save that money to go for your GTR. All points that you made sound like that makes the most sense. Safe travels to you and good luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys,

Eugene,

I personally think you are in an ideal situation. You purchased a Cayman at a very good price, you've been able to enjoy your purchase and now you have a wonderful career opportunity in the very near future.

Since you only paid $52 for an '09, it's probably worth $46K - $48K to the right buyer, maybe more. Your cost of ownership is a few thousand dollars. You've enjoyed the Cayman - therefore, the cost is immeasurable. It's hard to put a dollar value on personal enjoyment. Your Cayman will continue to depreciate; and hence, you will continue to lose money. Furthermore, you will get zero return for your purchase. This is NOT a good situation.

Sell the Cayman, put your monies in the bank, CD, stock market, bonds, gold, etc and enjoy the return. When you return to the good ole USA, you can buy another car. Imagine that, you've invested your money, gained a return and got rid of something that depreciates. This is thinking with your head and not your heart.

Finally, don't love the car, love the deal. As you know, new autos are not investments - they are a "must haves." Invest your hard earned dollars wisely. You will find another great deal when you return from Asia.

When I shopped for my new car - I looked closely at Porsche (Cayman), BMW (M3), Chevrolet (Corvette) and Audi (S5). My decision was based on the auto with the best residual value, money factor rate and selling price (yes, i typically lease). Love the deal, not the car. Best of success with your new career opportunity.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
It won't have a higher value than it does right now. I would sell and start over when you get back. I would imagine it's also possible that at the end of your gig you may end up somewhere else beside home or have any number of other reasons it no longer fits into your life. Sell now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys :cheers: i can see that my thoughts were correct into going the route of selling the car. i originally wanted to mod the **** out of the cayman, but thank god i havn't sunk any money into it since i will be selling it anyways. i hope i can get together with some planet 9'ers in so-cal before i do get rid of the car tho as i have yet to meet and talk with other cayman owners in person.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Eugene,

I personally think you are in an ideal situation. You purchased a Cayman at a very good price, you've been able to enjoy your purchase and now you have a wonderful career opportunity in the very near future.

Since you only paid $52 for an '09, it's probably worth $46K - $48K to the right buyer, maybe more. Your cost of ownership is a few thousand dollars. You've enjoyed the Cayman - therefore, the cost is immeasurable. It's hard to put a dollar value on personal enjoyment. Your Cayman will continue to depreciate; and hence, you will continue to lose money. Furthermore, you will get zero return for your purchase. This is NOT a good situation.

Sell the Cayman, put your monies in the bank, CD, stock market, bonds, gold, etc and enjoy the return. When you return to the good ole USA, you can buy another car. Imagine that, you've invested your money, gained a return and got rid of something that depreciates. This is thinking with your head and not your heart.

Finally, don't love the car, love the deal. As you know, new autos are not investments - they are a "must haves." Invest your hard earned dollars wisely. You will find another great deal when you return from Asia.

When I shopped for my new car - I looked closely at Porsche (Cayman), BMW (M3), Chevrolet (Corvette) and Audi (S5). My decision was based on the auto with the best residual value, money factor rate and selling price (yes, i typically lease). Love the deal, not the car. Best of success with your new career opportunity.

Semper Fi

You've nailed it on the head!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts