Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, my car has been stuck in my garage for about a month now due to ice and snow. I have been tending the battery but Im wondering if I should start it up this winter to move the oil around a bit. My instinct is telling me to leave it alone until I can get it out for a drive but Im not really sure. Unfortunately, the weather probably wont improve her until march :(

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
IMO, no, don't start it. I store a couple of our cars for the winter, and I don't start them either. The thinking is that starting the engine is when most wear occurs, and unless you get the engine really heated up you're probably just increasing the water condensation content in the oil, which is no good either. Hence, let it sit. Be sure to put fuel stablizer in the gas tank if you'll be storing the car for greater than 60 days.

You might also read the owners manual for other storage tips, if you haven't already.

Note that you may hear other opinions regarding starting, and there are pros and cons to both approaches. I've never read any definitive data on the subject either.

·
Porsche Prophet
937 Posts
Come on now .... your real question is, CAN I START IIT????? CAN I REV IT??? isn't it, isn't that what you REALLY want?
:hilarious: leave the poor guy alone...you know he just really wanted to hear the sweet sound of the exhaust...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:hilarious: leave the poor guy alone...you know he just really wanted to hear the sweet sound of the exhaust...
Lol, true. My borla went on just a few days before the weather hit. Guess I'll leave it alone :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts