Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of had thoughts in back of my head about possibly trading my 2016 Spyder with 6000 miles for an 2020 718 Spyder.
New car warrantee; bigger engine, more HP, bigger wheels & tires, PASM, Car Play, backup camera.
I like some things that are new like Apple Car Play since 2016 can't do anything on screen.
Still interested in the Bucket seats but I am fine with the base seats I have in the 2016. Not sure I would be comfortable in them for 1-5 hour drives. Originally wanted them in my 2016 but saved $6K without them. I have to sit them again; not sure my 250 lb. body will be happy in them.
PASM would probably be a good thing.
I guess 39 more HP would be nice but also isn't really needed.
I've read that the Spyder now has the GT4 suspension but don't see anything the spec's about GT3 front suspension that the 2016 GT4 had.

Bad =
They aren't going to limit production so with only 700 2016 would I be trading in something that will be worth much more in the future ?
Currently they aren't offering anything great for trade in; 74-75K. Best offer was from Tesla for 83K. There are always some listed in Pano for 95-105K but I don't think they're selling for that.
I own this 2016; no payments. Configured at $108K - 75 = 33 That's $1000-550 depending how many months you finance for 36,48,60.
What's the sound changes in mufflers. I get prays everyday on how great it sounds. New filters in 2020 do what to sound.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,665 Posts
It's a first world problem for sure. Either choice is a good one. I wouldn't worry about unlimited supply. Porsche will only build what the market demands, which is just one more than they've built in the past.
Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Kind of had thoughts in back of my head about possibly trading my 2016 Spyder with 6000 miles for an 2020 718 Spyder.
New car warrantee; bigger engine, more HP, bigger wheels & tires, PASM, Car Play, backup camera.
I like some things that are new like Apple Car Play since 2016 can't do anything on screen.
Still interested in the Bucket seats but I am fine with the base seats I have in the 2016. Not sure I would be comfortable in them for 1-5 hour drives. Originally wanted them in my 2016 but saved $6K without them. I have to sit them again; not sure my 250 lb. body will be happy in them.
I've read that the Spyder now has the GT4 suspension but don't see anything the spec's about GT3 front suspension that the 2016 GT4 had.

Bad =
They aren't going to limit production so with only 700 2016 would I be trading in something that will be worth much more in the future ?
Currently they aren't offering anything great for trade in; 74-75K. Best offer was from Tesla for 83K. There are always some listed in Pano for 95-105K but I don't think they're selling for that.
I own this 2016; no payments. Configured at $108K - 75 = 33 That's $1000-550 depending how many months you finance for 36,48,60.
What's the sound changes in mufflers. I get prays everyday on how great it sounds. New filters in 2020 do what to sound.
Just 2 cents from a guy who decided not to buy a 2016 Spyder and who is buying a 2020 Spyder... ;)

I will try to keep these in order as answers to your questions.

I will be getting the Full LWBS, I understand your concerns, so maybe a session to determine if they will work for you, for me (~165ibs) they are PERFECT with no comfort questions, they are in my spec for sure! As for the suspension and engine comparison, this is an apples and oranges situation, the 718 Spyder is a GT car, GT3 front suspension up front and GT derived suspension out back, fully adjustable coil over style with inverted dampers, the 981 Spyder has none of this, it is basically a Boxster GTS suspension. The engine, not just 39HP, but a completely different powerplant with an 8000 RPM redline, as good as the 3.8l was it is not on par with the new 4.0l, with this engine new is better, way better. ;)

Essentially the Spyder and GT4 are simply coupe and cab versions with the only differences being the aero required to balance both cars, the 718 Spyder is now a proper GT car where as (sorry) the 981 Spyder is not.

As for production, don't kid yourself, these are different cars, they will build N-1 as ordered, they have said they cannot build an unlimited amount of them, they don't have the engines or capacity, AP has said that in interviews, add to this the selling price, not everybody is going to step up to the new cost, the US enjoys relatively cheap pricing, in the UK/Canada a decent spec costs us nearly $150K, down under even more, not everybody will jump for them. I think that they may sell more than the last run, but it will still be a relatively low run, there are already many who just want the 4.0l engine in the GTS or a T model, they won't buy the Spyder, also those like you who are wondering if it is worth it.

And for the so called other 'Bad', the sound will be more like a GT2, no pops and gurgles on overrun but a lower more powerful engine sound, yes less overstated but from what I can gather still a very powerful exhaust note. Regarding the price, that is strictly personal, I understand the hesitation, I would have a hard time justifying it if I were in your position, I would really struggle, but I am not, as I opted not to get the 981 Spyder because it was not a proper GT car, the 718 Spyder changes all of that...

I have already sold my 2016 BGTS in anticipation of the 718 Spyder, yes they may make these for a couple of years but after that we will see electrification of this model segment, Porsche has already stated that, my timing worked by having the BGTS as an interim car, the 718 Spyder with GT heritage and suspension is just about perfect and may be the last of it kind in the mid engine platform. I have been saving since the first rumour surfaced nearly 2 years ago, I was patiently waiting for the official announcement that the 718 Spyder was simply a GT4 with a drop top, it is, so I am definitely in! :)

Best of luck with your decision!

·
Registered
832 Posts
In a word: NO. Porsche, and for that matter all manufacturers, love people like you. New product with minor changes, of questionable real world value, and they are ready to put their money down. You have an excellent car which you like. Are the items you listed as positive for the 718 really worth the money you're going to flush? Bottom line is, it's your money. But if it were mine I'd keep that beautiful Spyder I already own. Good luck with your decision.

·
Super Moderator
13,824 Posts
In a word: NO. Porsche, and for that matter all manufacturers, love people like you. New product with minor changes, of questionable real world value, and they are ready to put their money down. You have an excellent car which you like.
^^^ This. Then again, it does keep the Porsche SE stock holders happy.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
AP has said that in interviews, add to this the selling price, not everybody is going to step up to the new cost, the US enjoys relatively cheap pricing, in the UK/Canada a decent spec costs us nearly $150K, down under even more, not everybody will jump for them.
I think you need to recalculate. A Canadian 718 Spyder starts at $112,000 CDN. The same US car is $97,650 US, or about $129,000 CDN. Options are proportional - your $6,740 buckets are $5,900 US, or $7,800 CDN. We get them "cheap" compared to the US. Not sure about the rest of the world.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In a word: NO. Porsche, and for that matter all manufacturers, love people like you. New product with minor changes, of questionable real world value, and they are ready to put their money down. You have an excellent car which you like. Are the items you listed as positive for the 718 really worth the money you're going to flush? Bottom line is, it's your money. But if it were mine I'd keep that beautiful Spyder I already own. Good luck with your decision.
Yeah, I agree. The new car is heavier too. Definitely not much of an upgrade and certainly the general population will not appreciate the new one over what you already have and own free and clear. Don’t do it! You have a great car. The grass will not be any greener as soon as the newness wears off. The next model will ALWAYS be better or at least more of something. Who cares? Look at the values of the original completely gutless 356 volkswagens.... I mean Porsches. :)

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
AP has said that in interviews, add to this the selling price, not everybody is going to step up to the new cost, the US enjoys relatively cheap pricing, in the UK/Canada a decent spec costs us nearly $150K, down under even more, not everybody will jump for them.
I think you need to recalculate. A Canadian 718 Spyder starts at $112,000 CDN. The same US car is $97,650 US, or about $129,000 CDN. Options are proportional - your $6,740 buckets are $5,900 US, or $7,800 CDN. We get them "cheap" compared to the US. Not sure about the rest of the world.
No recalculation is required!

Why does everyone do this, your math is correct but you miss my point completely and why this calculation should NEVER be done...

I don't get paid in American dollars, I earn Canadian dollars and pay for goods and services in that currency, my $150k CDN example will cost me just that, I have to earn and save that dollar amount no matter what your calculator tells you.

In the US, they buy in $USD, that number without any conversion for the same spec is less expensive than what we pay here.

My point is when comparing a US and Canadian buyer and that individual is buying the same car in their respective currency, the US buyer pays less, no conversion applies, and none should be made.

PS. You must make some pretty serious money if you think these cars are cheap! 😉

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
In a word: NO. Porsche, and for that matter all manufacturers, love people like you. New product with minor changes, of questionable real world value, and they are ready to put their money down. You have an excellent car which you like.
^^^ This. Then again, it does keep the Porsche SE stock holders happy.
I agree and perhaps I should have been more clear, if I had bought a Spyder in 2016, I would not be trading it in now, sure the 718 is improved and we expected it to be, but for the difference in price and loss taken on the 2016 model, the overall experience would still be close.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
No recalculation is required!

Why does everyone do this, your math is correct but you miss my point completely and why this calculation should NEVER be done...

I don't get paid in American dollars, I earn Canadian dollars and pay for goods and services in that currency, my $150k CDN example will cost me just that, I have to earn and save that dollar amount no matter what your calculator tells you.

In the US, they buy in $USD, that number without any conversion for the same spec is less expensive than what we pay here.

My point is when comparing a US and Canadian buyer and that individual is buying the same car in their respective currency, the US buyer pays less, no conversion applies, and none should be made.

PS. You must make some pretty serious money if you think these cars are cheap! 😉
But if you want to play that game, you have to compare your income and expenses to what you would earn and spend in the US for a similar job and lifestyle. Look at Canadian (especially BC) gasoline prices compared to the US, even with exchange.

PS - that's why I put quotes around the cheap!

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Westcoaster - Great review and a big help getting a clearer picture.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
But if you want to play that game, you have to compare your income and expenses to what you would earn and spend in the US for a similar job and lifestyle. Look at Canadian (especially BC) gasoline prices compared to the US, even with exchange.

PS - that's why I put quotes around the cheap!
Sorry I missed the point of the quotes around the word cheap...

As for the rest, I actually work for a company that has other guys just like me (same age, same job with country specific income, lifestyle etc) living in the US, GB, AUS and elsewhere so I have a solid idea of how I would live in various places around the world, but for now lets focus on the US. If I were in the US I would be making the same number for a wage but in $USD, with cheaper housing, cheaper gas and because the 'number is the number' a much cheaper Porsche!

Heck if I chose Oregon which has no state tax it would even be better, in BC we already pay 12% and then an additional 8% on cars between $125-150K, and soon Justin wants to add another 10% to that! 30% tax is a big number! :eek:

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Hey Westcoaster - Great review and a big help getting a clearer picture.
Hey, no worries, I really enjoy participating on the forum, I get to read about different viewpoints and decisions that others like me are going through when deciding on which Porsche they would like to buy.

In your case and if it were mine I would likely keep the 2016 Spyder, they are great cars and have more than enough capabilities to satisfy my driving needs, and given the cost to upgrade it wouldn't make sense unless money was no object. From your signature I can tell you are an enthusiast which makes all of this tougher, then as expected Porsche always raises the bar going forward.

It looks like your Cayman RS has all of the goodies to provide all the performance you can ask for, for me now that my Boxster GTS is gone, the GMC pick-up doesn't quite satisfy that need which is why I am in the market.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Augie,

Most of us work hard so we can do the things we want and live the life we want. It’s how and why we participate in a society with capitalism as a motivator. You should do what you want if it doesn’t put you or your family at risk.

If I were in your shoes I would “allow” myself to upgrade to the 718 Spyder, but only after I saved enough money that I didn’t have to finance it. I also don’t make emotional decisions so saving for something gives me time to consider it more.

In terms of the benefits of the upgrade, keep in mind that most changes in any industry are incremental, not revolutionary. There need not be anything more than “I like the look of it better” as justification for your decision. Will it make you happy, and can you afford it?

·
Vendor
6,488 Posts

Bad =
If you don't have Nav - you can throw away your PCM, and install a latest Peoneer unit with wireless carplay and everything else that modern world has. For around $1K. Hellofalot cheaper than new car :)

PASM... why do you think you need it? Is your ride uncomfortable now?

39HP is nice yes. But that's about it...

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All your comments help; thanks to you all.
Called some dealers near me; most have no idea what they are getting or when. Waiting lists- they are 2-3 years old; told won't get a car for at least a year, etc.
Called my salesreps (Brand Ambassador) at Manhattan Motorcars; if I want a Spyder he will get me one. He is calling back tomorrow with trade value for my 2016.

As of right now the deciding factor will be the trade. If they give me a very strong trade-in I may do it.
I also decided to just pay cash and own the 2020 as I do the 2016.
Retired in Florida - New house, no mortgage, no car payments. I get to spend all my money on home health care for my wife.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,665 Posts
I've quoted Sheryl Crow' song before, but it bears repeating here: "It's not getting what you want/It's wanting what you've got".
Someone please remind me of this advice if and when the GT4RS is released. I'm third on the list at my local dealership, and I'm totally enjoying my Boxster S Limited Edition. But the temptation will be intense...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
All your comments help; thanks to you all.
Called some dealers near me; most have no idea what they are getting or when. Waiting lists- they are 2-3 years old; told won't get a car for at least a year, etc.
Called my salesreps (Brand Ambassador) at Manhattan Motorcars; if I want a Spyder he will get me one. He is calling back tomorrow with trade value for my 2016.

As of right now the deciding factor will be the trade. If they give me a very strong trade-in I may do it.
I also decided to just pay cash and own the 2020 as I do the 2016.
Retired in Florida - New house, no mortgage, no car payments. I get to spend all my money on home health care for my wife.
Good luck with your decision and it be interesting to hear what type of trade offer they give you on your current Spyder.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
When the configurator hit for the Spyder and GT4, I man-mathed the upgrade. The cost for me came to $42,000 USD. This included:
  • The difference in the price of the car, in options.
  • Getting the LWBS this time, since they were stop-ordered when my 981 build was scheduled.
  • Sales tax
  • An entire new application of XPEL Ultimate
  • Very modest depreciation, and splitting the difference between a dealer trade and private sale.
New car warrantee
For $42,000 USD, I could money-shift the entire powertrain into oblivion (not covered by warranty), pay full retail for a new engine and transaxle (which you never would), and have the dealer install it (which you never would), and still have change to spare.

bigger engine, more HP
Here's the thing: The 3.8L 9A1.03 has a lot of headroom in it. You won't have it today but it's there. Eventually (another 11-21 years?) there will come a point where I take the thing down to the bearings for a proper rebuild. That's when new hardware goes in, likely using the 991.1 GTS X51 Powerkit bits as a starting point, and going more mental from there. The Porsche parts bin is grand, and the aftermarket more so. Can deep sump as well, and have something that revs more freely, even higher, and is much more zingy than the new 9A2 Evo.

GT brakes too. That's great. Eventually I'll need to do a full brake service and I'll likely just switch to the GT brakes, so long as the rotors will fit with some smaller (much lighter) diameter wheels.

Eventually a second set of wheels and tires, mostly because I want a smaller diameter, and maybe to accommodate a bit more section width (from 235/265 to 245/275 -- not the 245/295 of the GT cars). Get more sidewall for every day and general compliance on bad but fun roads, keep the rear playful, and hack off more weight than anything I could get from Porsche.

Eventually upgraded control arms (with full adjustment) and beefier wheel bearings as well. It's not like the 981 Spyder is much off the GT4 in handling. It won't be too hard to get a package with single-tune dampers that still rides well, is fully adjustable, and is as buttoned down as a 718 GT4 or GT4 RS. It's just when it makes sense to do it.

With more LWBS being out in the world, it'll get increasingly easier to get them used. I might finally bite on it in the next year or two. The manual "Sport Seats Plus" will be kept as "just in case/old man" seats.

Car Play, backup camera
PCM can be swapped. I've seen 997.1 Turbos with the 981/991.1 generated PCM in it. Isn't cheap, but very smart installers do it so it all works seamlessly. Ask around! Eventually I may move to something else, and if not, there are shelves I can use to store sandwiches. Eventually Porsche Classic will sell some very nice new head unit to install instead.

Backup cameras were an option on 981s. I specced it on mine, as it helps a bit. It can be retrofitted.

-----

Different approach to the same thing. If you get a 718 Spyder, enjoy it... and don't forget that 4-5 years afterwards, there'll be ANOTHER new one! If not, remember that the best part of a newly released Porsche is a lot of the new bits and bobs will bolt right up to your old Porsche. It's one of the best parts bins out there alongside the Chevy Small Block and Ford V8.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Goofnik, I like your style !

I’ve had my 981Spyder since new (Nov 15) and totally love it.
done 23k miles now, including several big Euro Tours.
I have no intention of ever selling the car, because it’s all the car I need and it’s also one of the last cars without all the nanny nonsense they seem to have to put on cars now...
I don't want auto stop, cylinder deactivation etc, etc.
The car has excellent ride and handling, looks a feels very special and sounds epic.

I like the journey these cars take us on and knowing you’re happy with what you’ve got is very comforting......
I’m looking forward to many many more years of my Spyder adventure......

Having said all that...... I am cheating a bit as I’ve got a new GT4 coming next week :)
But the jury is out as to if this becomes another keeper, and my garage is complete, or if this is a stepping stone to the final purchase.....

We are indeed very privileged to be able to make these choices.

Enjoy whatever you’ve got in good health.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts