Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
No. A "standard" Porsche engine was 100HP/L in 2012. 991.1 Carrera S engines were 105HP/L. 991.1 GTS engines were 113HP/L. 991.2 GT3 RS engines are 130HP/L, granted the price of what it takes to get there is brutal. Although the 9A2 Evo is neat, it's still "built to a price", which is a price at or below that of a base 911. 103.5HP/L means it's time-tested, cost-effective stuff.

My cost to upgrade to a 718 Spyder, as I've mentioned, is ~$42,000 all said and done. That's ~$1075 per additional HP. Yes, it's more than "just HP", but $42K for incremental upgrades is the definition of setting money on fire. I didn't buy my first Spyder by doing things like that, and I'm still mad at the bit I lit on the Cayman. Keep in mind that eventually a car will succeed the 718 Spyder. Do you buy that too? Wait, that one got succeeded as well -- crap, better buy that as well. Some people do this, and have the means to do this, but I'd hate to be a miserable unhappy person that never has "the best" and is 6-digits poorer to show for it.

The reason you wait for a rebuild is because a rebuild using stock components is going to be $18-20K as it is. Most of that being labor. Since you're already spending the money, you spend more on what's possible at the time since you're already in there, as well as anything that addresses any issues or weaknesses that are uncovered in the future. The extra cost won't be trivial, but you can get the cost more around $300 per additional HP because you're mostly just paying additional money for parts at this point.

This is what people do with classic car engine rebuilds. They do upgrades because they're rebuilding the engine anyways, and already eating huge labor costs. Ergo, my idea is to just wait until my engine is approaching the point where it needs a rebuild. Doing it any earlier is just setting money on fire. Buying a new car is also setting money on fire. I'm patient. New internals don't exist yet. I am not dissatisfied with my car. Ergo, I wait, and will continue to wait for a long time.
I get what you are putting down with the idea of improvements at the time of rebuild, this is standard hot-rodding practice and has been going on for years... At this time I have yet to wear out a Porsche or it's engine, that would take more time then I have into the marque already, not that getting a car and driving it that much isn't a nice prospect but it takes time. So for some of us it makes more sense to throw some money down up front and buy what you want to drive now, not for 10 or 20 years from now.

Regarding you HP comparisons, your examples are all 911 based engines, we all know that Porsche is not going to release a new engine for their entry level sports 'car' (718) and have it make more power than the current 911 model, IIRC the 3.0l Turbo in the 911 make 450HP, so the 9A2 Evo was carefully planned to come in below that number... the 911 pole position must be maintained!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I just checked around, and won't name names, but a respected tuner already does X51 conversions, including a fully reversible 4.0L stroker kit (new crank and pistons). Not only is 450HP in a 981 Spyder a solved problem today, but you can already go past that, for what I would consider attractive prices.

That's today. Never mind what might be learned in the next 10-20 years.

Seems like my gut was right, and that I've got a lot to look forward to in the future when the time comes.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I just checked around, and won't name names, but a respected tuner already does X51 conversions, including a fully reversible 4.0L stroker kit (new crank and pistons). Not only is 450HP in a 981 Spyder a solved problem today, but you can already go past that, for what I would consider attractive prices.

That's today. Never mind what might be learned in the next 10-20 years.

Seems like my gut was right, and that I've got a lot to look forward to in the future when the time comes.
Cool, I knew there is un-tapped potential in the 3.8l engine, one of the great things about 'mature' designs is the aftermarket community is always up to something in the background! I have posted elsewhere in this forum that if I had a 981 Spyder I would hang onto it, an awesome car with a future!

My situation is different, for a number of reasons including timing and the fact I previously had a BGTS...

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well I did it; traded in my 2016 981 Spyder.

But not for a 2020 Spyder; for a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport. It was a Black Friday sale. The Vette was $12k off so I ended up with a new car and $14k cash back from Chevrolet. Was going to way for a 2020 Corvette but they were $20k more and you won't get one ordered now until next summer Aug 2020

A lot of the decision was that a new Spyder would be $109k vs. $59k for the Vette. Rather have cash now instead of a new loan for $30k.
I know many will think I'm crazy for doing this but it was right for right now.

Grand Sport is a brute. 2" wider wheels and 5 sizes bigger tires. Bigger Brembo brakes, all the Z51 performance items. Has a PASM like Magnetic Ride Control adjustment which like Sport Plus opens the exhaust when in Sport or Track setting. Loud at low speed but quiet on the highway at steady 50-70 mph.
Did my first autocross with my 2 day old car yesterday. Since it's a PDK I had to learn how to drive it. You can't just leave it in drive as the computer intervenes too much a the car stumbles when you get into the gas again. You have to use manual setting and drive like a stick; leave in 1st, shift to 2nd, downshift if a super slow turn. I improved on every run; starting with a 44.7 second run and ending with a 39.0.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts

But not for a 2020 Spyder; for a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport. It was a Black Friday sale. The Vette was $12k off so I ended up with a new car and $14k cash back from Chevrolet. Was going to way for a 2020 Corvette but they were $20k more and you won't get one ordered now until next summer Aug 2020

A lot of the decision was that a new Spyder would be $109k vs. $59k for the Vette. Rather have cash now instead of a new loan for $30k.
I know many will think I'm crazy for doing this but it was right for right now.

Grand Sport is a brute. 2" wider wheels and 5 sizes bigger tires. Bigger Brembo brakes, all the Z51 performance items. Has a PASM like Magnetic Ride Control adjustment which like Sport Plus opens the exhaust when in Sport or Track setting. Loud at low speed but quiet on the highway at steady 50-70 mph.
Did my first autocross with my 2 day old car yesterday. Since it's a PDK I had to learn how to drive it. You can't just leave it in drive as the computer intervenes too much a the car stumbles when you get into the gas again. You have to use manual setting and drive like a stick; leave in 1st, shift to 2nd, downshift if a super slow turn. I improved on every run; starting with a 44.7 second run and ending with a 39.0.
Very cool and congrats! I have always maintained that the Corvette has been a competent contender for quite sometime now, the outgoing C7 is a proving to be a bargain of sorts given all of the hype around the C8. If the desire is there and the price is right, I say why not...

Besides the car itself is the wait, I let go of my BGTS back in July, just heard that there is likely a 2 month delay on the 2020 Spyder, that would delay deliveries into June! It is not proving to be much fun without my car and now that may stretch into a year long wait! 😕

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks I was hoping for some feedback from you.
I'll keep running with the 3 Porsche Club regions in my area but will look into the Corvette Club who meets at a near by Chevrolet dealer.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,667 Posts
Best of luck with your new Grand.Sport, Augie. It'll be good to learn of your comparative driving impressions. Worst case scenario,, if you don't like it, you could always trade.it in on a new Spyder without taking too much off a loss.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
If'n one is wanting a new Vette and a C7 will fit the bill, hard to pass up the deals they're running now. Wife loves hers (not a GS though), bought new last Spring. I pushed for a GS but she didn't like the spoiler on back...oh well.

The A8 transmission is certainly an improvement (not all agree) over previous A6's but it woulda been nice if they coulda put a true DCT in, a' la Porsche PDK.

And the PSE-like NPP Exhaust is fun (wife wants it always open as opposed to slaved to drive mode)...nothing like V8 Rumble!

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nice cars; do you get to drive the Vette ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kind of had thoughts in back of my head about possibly trading my 2016 Spyder with 6000 miles for an 2020 718 Spyder.
New car warrantee; bigger engine, more HP, bigger wheels & tires, PASM, Car Play, backup camera.
I like some things that are new like Apple Car Play since 2016 can't do anything on screen.
Still interested in the Bucket seats but I am fine with the base seats I have in the 2016. Not sure I would be comfortable in them for 1-5 hour drives. Originally wanted them in my 2016 but saved $6K without them. I have to sit them again; not sure my 250 lb. body will be happy in them.
PASM would probably be a good thing.
I guess 39 more HP would be nice but also isn't really needed.
I've read that the Spyder now has the GT4 suspension but don't see anything the spec's about GT3 front suspension that the 2016 GT4 had.

Bad =
They aren't going to limit production so with only 700 2016 would I be trading in something that will be worth much more in the future ?
Currently they aren't offering anything great for trade in; 74-75K. Best offer was from Tesla for 83K. There are always some listed in Pano for 95-105K but I don't think they're selling for that.
I own this 2016; no payments. Configured at $108K - 75 = 33 That's $1000-550 depending how many months you finance for 36,48,60.
What's the sound changes in mufflers. I get prays everyday on how great it sounds. New filters in 2020 do what to sound.
im in the market for a 981 spyder. If you decide to sell let me know.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

But not for a 2020 Spyder; for a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport. It was a Black Friday sale. The Vette was $12k off so I ended up with a new car and $14k cash back from Chevrolet.
I think you missed this post
The car is at Stingray Chevrolet, Plant City FL now maybe you can buy it from them

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The Porsche, any Porsche is much more refine and executed. The Vette especially mine is like a bull in a china shop as the saying goes
Mine's a brute; I'm going to name it Brutus.
I don't think I ever named one of my cars before.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts