Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be selling my 2015 Boxster S with 6,500 miles soon. It is perfect in all respects and has a CPO warranty until mid 2021. The car will be listed privately and I am uncomfortable to allow test drives by themselves to people I don't know. Is it reasonable to disallow them, or should I go along and do the driving or be a passenger?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go along as passenger, but feel free to get the engine oil up to temp yourself (either with or without buyer--good time to talk about other stuff like service records or infotainment buttons). It's unreasonable (imo) to expect someone to buy a car without having driven it first. But that's just me.

I also recommend planning an approved route(s) beforehand with mix of roads/speeds. This will avoid known potholes, construction zones, driveway scrapes, risky u-turns, speed traps, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go along as passenger, but feel free to get the engine oil up to temp yourself (either with or without buyer--good time to talk about other stuff like service records or infotainment buttons). It's unreasonable (imo) to expect someone to buy a car without having driven it first. But that's just me.

I also recommend planning an approved route(s) beforehand with mix of roads/speeds. This will avoid known potholes, construction zones, driveway scrapes, risky u-turns, speed traps, etc.
Good advice, thank you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Agreed it may be hard to sell without allowing a test drive, so you'll need to make a judgement about the potential buyer, and whether they are serious or just want to drive a nice car. I think it is a good idea to take them out for a drive in it and then let them drive with you in the car. When I was looking for my Cayman a couple years ago, no one seemed hesitant about letting me go out with my wife for a test drive, but then I'm in my late 60's and maybe we have honest faces.:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I’d really have to gauge the people requesting a test drive. If a few younger Kids showed up in a beat up car I’d probably pass on the other hand if someone showed up in a well cared for car and presented themselves well I’d allow a test drive after asking to see their DL and insurance card and id definitely snap a cell phone pic of those documents.

I‘d also like to ascertain their ability to pay for the car.

Thats why I just trade my cars into the dealer - the risks and uncertainties of letting strangers drive my car isn’t worth it to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts