Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner/poster here. I know that in the end I am the only one who can decide but... I recently purchased a '15 BS CPO, low miles, metallic black with black wheels, nicely equipped. I absolutely love the way the car looks and drives. However, I recently test drove a '12 991 Carrera S Cab (I was bored one afternoon). The difference in power is substantial, plus the 991 has some additional options that my BS does not: PSE, PDCC, sport steering wheel with paddles instead of buttons, and 2 tiny back seats. Granted, it was only a short test drive, but I walked away lusting after that car. Unfortunately, I just don't think the 991 Cab is as good looking as the Boxster. So my question is: do you buy a Porsche for the way it drives, or the way it looks? Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never driven a 991 but I love my 981 BS because of its incredible handling (and it is a hell of a looker - Guards Red and I replaced all the unpainted black plastic with paintable trim which I did in gloss black). I would really wonder whether a rear engine and it's extra HP can be as much fun to drive as a car with such perfect mid-engine balance.

·
Banned
304 Posts
Personal opinion but I find the 911 cab ugly as hell. I think 911s look great, but not the cabs. If I had to have a convertible, I'd get a boxster. If I were smitten by the way a 911 drives I'd take a hardtop. But that's just me...

·
Registered
736 Posts
These are sports cars. Buy it for the way (driving) it makes you feel. Whichever one smears the biggest grin on your face, for whatever reason, is all that matters, cost no option. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have ALWAYS preferred the looks and handling of the Boxsters and Caymans to that of the Carrera. The Boxsters and Caymans (in my humble opinion) appear as if they, aesthetically have had more thought put into them. The way they drive is more fundamentally pure sports car as well, again just in my opinion. I've had three modern day Porsches (five all together) and each time I could have purchased a Carrera, and each time, I drove off in a Boxster. I am in love with these damned things!

·
Registered
360 Posts
So ask yourself, are you a wannabe?
Yes. I am. I wanna be able to see around the car in all directions with no obstructions.

For this reason I have a love / hate relationship with my 991.1 C4S cab - I love the visibility when the top's down, and hate it when it's up. There are times I think I should have opted for a coupe, but that goes away every time I get to drive with the top down.

I've never liked the looks of the Boxster, but I do prefer the looks of my wife's 981 Cayman S to the looks of my car. It's a combination of not liking the contrast of the ragtop which separates it from the rest of the car and the slope of the back in general compared the 911's egg-shaped rear. I much prefer the way my car drives, though, both because of the power and because of the improved traction from a dead stop compared to RWD. AWD also feels more forgiving of my mistakes.

As to looks vs. driving - both matter to me. While I'm primarily about how a car drives, if I don't like the looks, that can eat away about how I feel about owning the car. I'll take "good enough" looks and excellent driving over great looks and mediocre driving every time, but a strong dislike for looks is still a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
New owner/poster here. I know that in the end I am the only one who can decide but... I recently purchased a '15 BS CPO, low miles, metallic black with black wheels, nicely equipped. I absolutely love the way the car looks and drives. However, I recently test drove a '12 991 Carrera S Cab (I was bored one afternoon). The difference in power is substantial, plus the 991 has some additional options that my BS does not: PSE, PDCC, sport steering wheel with paddles instead of buttons, and 2 tiny back seats. Granted, it was only a short test drive, but I walked away lusting after that car. Unfortunately, I just don't think the 991 Cab is as good looking as the Boxster. So my question is: do you buy a Porsche for the way it drives, or the way it looks? Thanks for your opinions.
Don't tell Porsche! If they find out that the Boxster looks better than the 911 they'll take away some cylinders from the cheaper one so they can keep selling the pricier model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
30 Posts
I decided after seeing the first Boxster commercial (2013? ) that I had to have one.Owned 4 air cooled Porsches but never a new one. Luckily I was able to buy a new Boxster in 2015 and happy as a pig in **** the way it looks and drives

·
Registered
374 Posts
I thought I might buy a Cayman because I preferred the look to a Boxster with its top up. But as I asked some owners, I began to understand I should optimize for the "experience." So that's a ragtop, with a stick, and zoom-zoom features rather than more motors and leather on the seats.

I asked a Cayman owner who kind of wished he had bought a Boxster, "But wouldn't the Boxster be noisier?" He answered, "You have 300+ horsepower right behind your ear. There is no quiet."

So, Boxster, MT. But I take rides with the PCA/GGR and some of those 911's are really, really pretty. So is the neighbor kid's Turbo S.

But my car is gorgeous, and it winks at me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Before I bought my Cayman S, I test drove a used 911 C2S with 6 MT and PSE. The 911 had a little more power, but coming from a new (6MT) F80 M3 (see my many other posts), I found it to be much closer to a used Cayman S/6MT I test drove in straight line performance than it was to the M3. The Cayman was noticeably lighter on its feet, had more playful steering, and sounded better because my ears were closer to the engine. I decided that the 911 was also a little too big to thoroughly enjoy the kinds of twisty back roads that I prefer, just like the M3.

You should take another test drive in the 911 and really pay attention to the fine details. It does track more steadily through freeway ramps and the like. This is expected, given that it has a more complicated multi-link rear suspension. It does have noticeably more power, but I personally found the Cayman to be a better drive and that's where I sent my dollars.

Maybe the Boxster is a different story because it does have 10hp less than the Cayman, compounding the loss from the 911 S. I did also feel like the overall structure was less rigid during my test drive. It is an interesting trade-off, because there are definitely times I wish I could take the top down in my CS, but that's the price of entry with convertibles.

A Boxster Spyder might cure all your ailments, come to think of it. I had the opportunity to get one for 5k over MSRP, custom ordered, but my wife sun burns easily and I worried about the security of parking it at work during the day, and in my apartment carport by night. Now I have a house with a garage in the back yard behind a gate... Gosh darn it. But I still love my Cayman!

(It is easy to find something new and shiny that you lust after every year, but it's only rarely worth it. To get a Spyder, I would have to fork over the depreciation on my car and also give up the custom options that I ordered. This to find myself dealing with whatever day to day problems the Spyder has. Overall, I still believe my CS is a better daily driver/sports car than a Spyder or Boxster S for my personal tastes and needs. I do not have a second vehicle to use for commuting, and I'm not sure I could subject myself to an econo-box for that purpose. I enjoy the feel of driving too much, even if most of it is spent stuck in traffic.)

Reactions: mallyrich

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
As usual, this ridiculous characterization from a non-911 owner. Whether you have a Boxster, Cayman or 911, they are all great cars. Buy the one that gives you the most pleasure. The arguments on handling have been rehashed a million times and the difference, on the street, is negligible. The 911 is larger but does not feel large when you're driving it. It is more than nimble enough for any back road jaunts. Test driving a car is not the optimum way of knowing how the car will please you in the long run. Unfortunately, ownership is probably the only way to make an informed decision. The decision on style is completely subjective. If you like the way the cab looks then it is a great looking car. I also agree that any Porsche lover should own a 911 at least once.

Cab Porsches are for wannabes. So ask yourself, are you a wannabe?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
You should take another test drive in the 911 and really pay attention to the fine details. It does track more steadily through freeway ramps and the like. This is expected, given that it has a more complicated multi-link rear suspension
The 911's multi-link rear suspension is as you describe "complicated" and it is also very expensive. So the question is why did Porsche incur that expense? The reason is the location of the engine. Mid-engined cars do not require complicated suspensions to provide outstanding handling. There's no doubt that if the 718 had a multi-link rear suspension, it would handle better but it would cost more and close the gap between the 991 and 718.
Unless you drive freeway ramps a lot faster than I do, I'm surprised that you could detect the advantages of a 911's suspension on public roads. I currently own a 981S and my prior car was a 997S, and I have many track hours with each car. With stability management disengaged or disengaged as much as I can make it, the 981 gives the driver a lot more confidence up to 9/10ths. Beyond 9/10ths I prefer a 911. To be fair I've driven 911s for decades and a 981 for only a few, but a 911 feels more stable to me at the limits. So on public roads I prefer my 981, but on the track I'd opt for a 911.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I think I am very unbiased on this topic since I own a 981BS and have a 991.2C4 on order. I love both cars. I've also driven Cayman's, Boxsters and 991.1 and .2s on the track.

Sports cars are an emotional experience so both looks and the way the car drives is very important.

The debate between 911s and 981s is like pdk vs manual. :). There is no right answer for everyone.

My opinion:
981s look better than the 911
981s handle better
911 has better performance numbers
The 911 is the Porsche icon and has a lot of history and nostalgia with it.

911 has turned into a GT cruiser but still kicks but on performance numbers.

Drive both and get what you want.

Reactions: naj and James III

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These are sports cars. Buy it for the way (driving) it makes you feel. Whichever one smears the biggest grin on your face, for whatever reason, is all that matters, cost no option. Good luck.
This may have been the answer I was looking for. At the risk of being branded a Porsche heretic, I think maybe the acceleration and straight line dynamics of a 911 are more important to me than nimbleness of the 981 BS. I live in southwest FL, where the highest elevation point in the entire state is 345 feet, and the only twisties I generally encounter are entrance ramps and an occasional meandering Buick. Although I prefer the looks of the Boxster over the 911 Cab from the outside, once you get behind the wheel you can't see that anyways. Putting your right foot into 400 HP and 325 lb-ft of torque sure feels sweet!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm surprised that you could detect the advantages of a 911's suspension on public roads.
It is feel rather than a performance metric. The two behave differently in the way they absorb bumps while you're loaded up in a corner at even 5/10ths. With the 981 platform, when you lose a little traction from the outside tire on a very light bump in a corner, you get a little "hop". The multi-link rear in the 911 I test drove just handled that more smoothly than the 981.

Now all that said, my 981 handles the same scenario better than the multi-link rear in any BMW I've ever driven, to include the F80 M3.

As many put it, you're paying for more refinement with the 911 platform. It shows, but I personally prefer the slightly less refined sensations I get from my 981 for road driving. The car reacts just that little bit quicker and lets a little more feel through, and this, to me, makes it more enjoyable at low speeds.

That was a sticking point for me coming from the M3. The latter was awesome fun on the Nordschleife and above 100 mph on the Autobahnen. It was not so enjoyable (to me) on public roads in CA because you could never reach the speeds where the car started talking to you. Therefor I bought the car that felt more alive, to me.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You know, everyone of you knows, that if Porsche put the same engine in a 981 as in the 991 the 981 would walk all over the 991 on the track and in the street! Multi-link rear suspension my %$&s, the 981 is a better configuration and everyone knows it whether they want to admit it or not! Having got that off my chest you should buy the car that puts the biggest smile on your face when you drive it! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.