Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone in California was able to work around having to show the emissions sticker to the DMV. My car is new but from out of state, and I have the certificate of origin that indicates it's a 50 state compliant car. However, in getting my car inspected for registration, the inspector would not accept this documentation and said that I would need to show him the emissions sticker somehow. On the 981 it is under the carpeting like the 987, but everything I've read shows it as a much more involved process including removal of various trunk trim, the aluminum bar, the seat belt trim, etc. Since it was 95F today, and it would be my first time, I decided not to try it out in the DMV parking lot despite having taken time off to head to my DMV appointment. My plan is to tackle this over the weekend and leave some interior pieces off on the way to the DMV on Monday morning. If anyone knows of a way to avoid doing this, I'd be interested to know what the workaround is. The inspector was generally friendly and not trying to be difficult. He just didn't know how to proceed without seeing the emissions sticker.... Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Emissions Sticker Location

Hello all,

First post to the forum, I have a 2016 Cayman in guards red that I bought out of my home state of CA and am now attempting to register. As a result, I need to gain access to the emissions sticker, both for the smog test and for the DMV as part of registering the car. Based on my research, it's under the carpet cover of the engine bay, which is a big pain to access. The dealership is recommending that I bring the car in, they can take this off (requires taking a lot of different interior trim pieces off), get the car smogged, take it to the DMV and have it registered, and then have the dealership reinstall the trim and put everything back to normal.

Dealer estimates it will take a few hours of labor, so $200-$300. Am I missing something easier here, or is this really necessary? Why would Porsche place something that needs to be seen in such a terrible location? Cost aside, I don't really want my brand new car taken apart and put back together for such a silly thing.

Hoping that there is some other way to do this?

Other than this, the car is incredible. I did a 2,800 mile roadtrip after picking it up, and enjoyed every second.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny, I'm facing the exact same issue. I talked to a few dealerships, and they're recommending I bring the car in, take it apart so we can get to the sticker, have the dealership do the SMOG, then take it to the DMV and register it with the trim all off, then return back and reinstall everything. My goal is to do this all in one day, but it is a huge pain. And the dealership estimates $300-$400 by the time we're all done, apparently it is quite labor intensive and I am too nervous to try to take this much of my car apart on my own. Seems like a ridiculous process, but so far I haven't been able to come up with an alternative. Maybe somebody else knows something that we're both missing.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Re: Emissions Sticker Location

It's been something like 30 years since I last dealt with the CA DMV which puts it before actual smog tests. Just a checklist then even coming in out of state. Reminded me of dental work without Novocaine. For a couple hundred bucks I'd let the dealer do it. They know the routine too. Now maybe one of your CA comrades will give you the real scoop...

Not a clue why Porsche would locate the sticker there. Probably some reg that says on the hood or engine cover. Welcome to the swamp.

·
Registered
258 Posts

You got my curiosity up.
Boxster, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny, I'm facing the exact same issue. I talked to a few dealerships, and they're recommending I bring the car in, take it apart so we can get to the sticker, have the dealership do the SMOG, then take it to the DMV and register it with the trim all off, then return back and reinstall everything. My goal is to do this all in one day, but it is a huge pain. And the dealership estimates $300-$400 by the time we're all done, apparently it is quite labor intensive and I am too nervous to try to take this much of my car apart on my own. Seems like a ridiculous process, but so far I haven't been able to come up with an alternative. Maybe somebody else knows something that we're both missing.
Yeah, it does seem to be a pain. I am attempting to follow directions I found from voyager6 tomorrow and do the smog and DMV on Monday morning. I figured I'd have to learn how to remove the engine cover at some point anyway for maintenance, so hopefully it goes OK tomorrow.

I did get some feedback on another forum from people who've had some success getting the DMV inspector to be OK without showing the sticker, but that wasn't the case for me last week. Some people also said AAA could process it without seeing the sticker, but others said the opposite. I think it really just depends on who you get. Apparently there are also independent inspectors that you could pay to do inspection separately.

In general it's strange to me that a new 50 state vehicle needs to go through smog, but since I'm going to have the emissions sticker exposed hopefully, I thought I might as well get the smog done in case it's really needed. Again, there are conflicting reports of whether it's really necessary....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Which DMV did you go to? I can't believe they won't accept the Certificate of Origin (I just received it last night). I may try to use this at my first attempt.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to the Los Gatos one which I've been told is less hassle (at least in terms of lines). Yes, I asked him several times if the certificate of origin would suffice, and he said no. I guess I could try another DMV and hope for better luck. But I'll attempt removing the trim this afternoon as I can't afford to take much more time off to do the DMV thing. I'm pretty sure my smog guy will be OK with the certificate, but again I'm not sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had my car smogged and I used the certificate of origin. My appointment is at Los Gatos too. Was hoping you had been somewhere else :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just had my car smogged and I used the certificate of origin. My appointment is at Los Gatos too. Was hoping you had been somewhere else :)
So the smog guy was OK with the certificate of origin? Which smog did you go to? I am planning on smogging tomorrow. I'll go to yours in case mine gives me trouble (even though I'm going to try to take apart the trim anyway for the DMV).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to get the carpet out in about 10 minutes. I only did the 4 pieces in the trunk and the decorative piece between the filler caps and strut mounts. I likely will have to remove more front side trim to stuff the carpet back in properly, but that's a project for after the smog and DMV. Here's the sticker they're looking for I suppose. I'll post more details about the trim removal process on the related thread here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-discussion/103195-look-new-article-981-engine-cover-removal.html
DSC_000003.JPG

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone in California was able to work around having to show the emissions sticker to the DMV. My car is new but from out of state, and I have the certificate of origin that indicates it's a 50 state compliant car. However, in getting my car inspected for registration, the inspector would not accept this documentation and said that I would need to show him the emissions sticker somehow. On the 981 it is under the carpeting like the 987, but everything I've read shows it as a much more involved process including removal of various trunk trim, the aluminum bar, the seat belt trim, etc. Since it was 95F today, and it would be my first time, I decided not to try it out in the DMV parking lot despite having taken time off to head to my DMV appointment. My plan is to tackle this over the weekend and leave some interior pieces off on the way to the DMV on Monday morning. If anyone knows of a way to avoid doing this, I'd be interested to know what the workaround is. The inspector was generally friendly and not trying to be difficult. He just didn't know how to proceed without seeing the emissions sticker.... Thanks.
Hooray for big government! What a waste of billions of taxpayer dollars. The CARB is just another giant, bloated, out of control, Democratic nonsense regulatory program that exists to serve only it's self. Way to go, California. Super duper.

I cross my fingers every day that I don't get stationed anywhere in that state. Don't even get me started on that sanctuary city nonsense...

To the OP, I hope you get this resolved without needing to disassemble half of your car in order to prove that it is street legal in the People's Republic of Kalifornistan.

- Patrick

Reactions: TimD and Rafiki

·
Registered
4 Posts

I can save you from spending $200-$300. I just did this very thing on my Cayman. Not sure where in CA you are but I'm in the Bay Area. Feel free to stop by :)

1) Pop the plastic trim pieces covering bolts for the brace behind the driver
2) Use T30 bit to remove the brace.
3) Remove 2 more bolts holding side read compartments (with the slider thingies). Pull the plastic pieces towards the front of the car to remove them.
4) Pull out the foam/carpet from the engine cover and you are done!

IMG_1059.JPG

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I can save you from spending $200-$300. I just did this very thing on my Cayman. Not sure where in CA you are but I'm in the Bay Area. Feel free to stop by :)

1) Pop the plastic trim pieces covering bolts for the brace behind the driver
2) Use T30 bit to remove the brace.
3) Remove 2 more bolts holding side read compartments (with the slider thingies). Pull the plastic pieces towards the front of the car to remove them.
4) Pull out the foam/carpet from the engine cover and you are done!

View attachment 63647
Thanks. Looks like you pulled it out the front; I pulled it out the back. Glad there's another way that works.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had my Cayman in for a smog check last week. The tech went to the front of the car and acted like he was trying to open the hood. I opened it and asked what he was looking for. Upon seeing the empty frunk he said "Oh yeah. It's a Porsche. The engine is in the back." He added that he needed to see the emissions sticker. I opened the rear trunk and told him that the engine was in the middle. He looked in the rear hatch, said "The middle?", shook his head and printed my passing certification without further comment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the sticker exposed the inspection and smog passed without issues. They don't even need to do a dyno drive test on 2000 and newer cars now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just to be clear, this "hassle" process applies only to the Cayman, not to the Boxster GTS? I'm buying a car from out of state, and bringing it in to CA. Just wondering if this is going to be an issue as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts