Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know what it is, but I've gotten really sick of scraping the bottom of the nose of my Cayman S on just about everything.

We're not talking deep channels or gulleys here, but even minor drainage depressions cause a scrape, inclined parking spaces can induce a scrape, and now I've just plain got some deep gouges. I've already had Police look at me very strange when in order to turn onto a street I have to drive straight all the way to the opposing curve and turn back to avoid scraping the nose. :(

What makes this more confusing is that I owned a 2003 Boxster S, and when I sold it in 2008 there wasn't a single scrape under the nose - I wore out the air dams in front of the front wheels, but no scrapes on the bottom of the nose.

But just about two years into owning my Cayman S, if I wanted to sell my car as "mint" I'd really need to replace the front clip.

What the #[email protected]!? I'm careful, drive over things at a 50º angle and still things that never flummoxed my 986S (it even had the lower 030 sport suspension) have just been taking their toll on the Cayman.

I'm beginning to think the roads and such in most areas of the country are just completely incompatible with these cars unless you live somewhere like California or Florida.

I'm this far from buying a pickup, Jeep or other vehicle I don't have to worry about being able to drive down ordinary roads. :(

(Please don't bring up something like the GT3, which IMHO is completely unsuitable for driving anywhere but a track for just this reason.)

Note the nice blacktop-colored gouges here, courtesy of a single slow speed entry into a parking space where I thought i might possibly scrape, so only went 3 MPH and stopped as soon as I heard the first noise. :(

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Sounds like your suspension is not stock. Measure your ride height and compare to other cars on this site.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I agree, check your ride height and see if the suspension's been lowered with aftermarket springs. Did you buy your car used? Also, do you have PASM?

I had no problems with the front end scraping anything on my 2006 and my current 2009, and even with Eibach springs installed I only scrape the lower diffuser beneath the front bumper.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I live in S FL and roads are *mostly* free of defects and what not. However, we do have some road patches in the downtown area, and transitions into driveways/garages are sometimes aggressive (designed to channel A LOT of water during hurricanes and rain storms). My car is lowered (with eibachs) and going up my own driveway transition I do scrape the two low hanging little flaps directly in front of the wheels. I have not scraped the bumpers yet.

Try an different approach angle. Unless your car is slammed, you really shouldn't have this problem. Good news is no one else will ever see this.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Curious, but what exactly did you hit in a parking space? The parking block?
The blacktop of the parking space. The space was inclined at about a 20 degree angle from the point of entry.

I agree, check your ride height and see if the suspension's been lowered with aftermarket springs. Did you buy your car used? Also, do you have PASM?
Both the 2003 Boxster S and the 2008 Cayman S were purchased new.

030 Sport Suspension option on the Boxster S, PASM on the 2008 Cayman S.

FWIW I have to enter my driveway at a 45 degree angle, and can only enter it from one direction or I scrape badly.

Bumper height is no different from other Caymen I've seen.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I live in Phoenix, where we don't have typical sewer systems due to the lack of rain, but we do have washes and engineered dips in the road designed to carry away water when it does rain. My car is an '07 CS, no PASM and at stock ride height, and I scrape all of the time, too. I really wonder how people with aftermarket suspension can do it, as I'd love to switch to c/o suspension and lower it a bit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have PASM on my 06CS and scrape all the time too. I have to back into my garage to avoid scraping. On a recent home hunting excursion there were many drives I scraped into not realizing that I would bottom out the nose. It made/makes me sick when this happens.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Heck even the nose of my wifes Subaru Outback has scraps on it.It seems to me that engineering parking spaces to fit a car in it has taken a back seat to just creating parking spaces out of nothing so as to meet zoning requirments....etc etc etc....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why worry so much ? It is the bottom of the car.
Among other things, it's a rather expensive car. :eek:

Also, if you think the scrapes won't cost you at lease turn-in or won't shave a few thousand off the price of your car when you eventually trade it in or sell it, you've got a rude awakening coming. :(

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I have an 07 with standard suspension and I'm always scarping the bottom. But when I had an 09 as a loaner and driving over the same roads and driveways I would not scratch the bottom.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Quite a few years ago there was a post either here or on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board that was complaining about the same problem. The poster's solution was to attach some of those disks used to slide furnature around. I don't remember how well they worked but it would be worth a try. You can get some that are really large in diameter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have 30mm lowering, I scrap sometimes, try and avoid it where possible, but as they say, sh#t happens.

If you are worried about re-selling your car, if you trade it on another i dont think it would make much difference to the trade price as long as it was only cosmetic not broken, privately it possible would.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are worried about re-selling your car, if you trade it on another i dont think it would make much difference to the trade price as long as it was only cosmetic not broken, privately it possible would.
Just thinking about things in the U.S. where it's definitely a buyer's market; I suspect you could still find a brand new 2008 sitting on a dealer lot somewhere. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. I have the same problem. I also have PASM and I have 19" wheels. I have to drive city streets as if the Cayman is a low rider. Based on responses here it sounds like it may be a downside to the PASM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same problem going out of my drive as the front end drops into the gutter. I take the view its plastic and replaceable so why worry - same as the tires are a running expense for having a nice car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem going out of my drive as the front end drops into the gutter. I take the view its plastic and replaceable so why worry - same as the tires are a running expense for having a nice car.
Are you aware that the part being scraped is an integral part of the front bumper? It is not a cheap part and paint and fit must be matched perfectly for the car to look good. For the many of us with Arctic Silver, paint match is not that easy. How often would you want to do this (the problem does not go away)?

Still, it is just one of the factors to be considered when looking at the PASM option. For street use, I think I would recommend the standard suspension and 18" wheels.

·
Registered
418 Posts
As a policy all Porsche dealers re-spray front and rear bumbers as part of their Used Approved program. If they are using scrapes on these parts of the vehicle as a tool to knock down your trade in price then I'm afraid they are doing you a dis-service. I concur with others who have said this is one of the costs of running such a vehicle. Go get the jeep and keep the Porsche for the smoother runs....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts