Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoy.

Also: 2800 pounds vs. 3200 pounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: gearFX and canux

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Nice. Surprisingly, the rear overhang of the 911 doesn’t look longer. Clever styling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. Surprisingly, the rear overhang of the 911 doesn’t look longer. Clever styling?

In my head, they are the same car. In this picture, I see 500 pounds sticking out over the rear axle. It's astounding.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The wheelbase looks a lot shorter on the 911, even though it's only 0.9" shorter. Conversely, the overhangs are larger, but look shorter than before. But the 911 is 4.6" longer than a Cayman, along with a shorter wheelbase, it has a much more massive overhang at the rear (in front they're almost the same). Porsche did a good job of masking the horrible proportions of a rear engine layout. Not much more that can be done to that platform. That's probably why there's a Caymanesque 911 RSR now;). Interesting how they'll introduce it in the near future. He he.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great pictures. I really like the white wheels on yours!

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
The 911 cab is my least favorite design in the 911 lineup. Top down, it looks like Quasimodo. The 981 Boxster is a aesthetically much more pleasing.
The soft top in the 911 is more sturdy from what I was told by my sales dude. More sound deadening if you are into that sort of thing.

The 911 coupe OTOH in the awd, wide body design, I love. It has much more presence than the Cayman.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I love the new 911's, but I dislike the side profile of the 911 cabs. They look bloated to me.

If I ever buy a 911, I would nor buy a cab because of that.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The 911 cab is my least favorite design in the 911 lineup. Top down, it looks like Quasimodo. The 981 Boxster is a aesthetically much more pleasing.
The soft top in the 911 is more sturdy from what I was told by my sales dude. More sound deadening if you are into that sort of thing.

The 911 coupe OTOH in the awd, wide body design, I love. It has much more presence than the Cayman.
My thoughts exactly, the 981 Boxster looks better as a convertible and the 991 looks better as a coupe.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nice photos OP!

In my head, they are the same car. In this picture, I see 500 pounds sticking out over the rear axle. It's astounding.
The wheelbase looks a lot shorter on the 911, even though it's only 0.9" shorter. Conversely, the overhangs are larger, but look shorter than before. But the 911 is 4.6" longer than a Cayman, along with a shorter wheelbase, it has a much more massive overhang at the rear (in front they're almost the same). Porsche did a good job of masking the horrible proportions of a rear engine layout. Not much more that can be done to that platform. That's probably why there's a Caymanesque 911 RSR now;). Interesting how they'll introduce it in the near future. He he.
Here's my contribution to this thread. These are not my line drawings--I scraped them off of the web but did an approximate overlay (pivoting around rear axle location for visual comparison of rear overhang) based on known dimensions, wheelbase difference, tire rolling diameter within 1%, etc. Sorry I used the coupe formats for comparison (even though this thread is about cabs).

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Nice photos OP!

Here's my contribution to this thread. These are not my line drawings--I scraped them off of the web but did an approximate overlay (pivoting around rear axle location for visual comparison of rear overhang) based on known dimensions, wheelbase difference, tire rolling diameter within 1%, etc. Sorry I used the coupe formats for comparison (even though this thread is about cabs).

Nicely done! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like the air intake scoops on the Boxster vs the cabrio. The whale butt on the cabrio doesn't bother me. I really do prefer a second trunk instead of an open back seat for storage. I'd like the cab better if the back seat was more of a storage locker, as an option.

Targa is the best shape. The price premium is slightly absurd. Can't really get into it for less than $120k, nearly double a perfectly decent Boxster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Caymian

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I really like the air intake scoops on the Boxster vs the cabrio. The whale butt on the cabrio doesn't bother me. I really do prefer a second trunk instead of an open back seat for storage. I'd like the cab better if the back seat was more of a storage locker, as an option.

Targa is the best shape. The price premium is slightly absurd. Can't really get into it for less than $120k, nearly double a perfectly decent Boxster.

In addition, I suspect that Targa 911 is also better for top up visibility than the cab. My targa 914 is great that way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am admittedly biased as well, but I can honestly say ever since the 981 came out either Boxster or Cayman they just look so much leaner. It makes the 911 look portly heavy. I realize the 911 will smoke it but it doesn't look like it should. Reminds me of an F15 vs an F16. The F15 has double the engines and is much faster but the f16 is sleeker and more maneuverable. Just my opinion. I still turn around and look at my 981 every time I park it. Never gets old

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.