Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'll have to look into buying some of that from a reputable seller. I had a feeling that the Home Depot 3M 2x-sided tape wasn't this strong, and the stuff I ordered on Amazon was likely counterfeit.

I'm also considering (as a safety net) somehow also adhering a very small thread of fishing line as an emergency backup safety measure, as ideally it would remain hidden inside the scoop. This way, if it falls off at speed, at least it won't disappear. Yes, it might damage the paint but I doubt it. That has worked really well for side panels on my BMW R1200C motorcycle, and a lot of us do that retaining cord given a similar problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to look into buying some of that from a reputable seller. I had a feeling that the Home Depot 3M 2x-sided tape wasn't this strong, and the stuff I ordered on Amazon was likely counterfeit.

I'm also considering (as a safety net) somehow also adhering a very small thread of fishing line as an emergency backup safety measure, as ideally it would remain hidden inside the scoop. This way, if it falls off at speed, at least it won't disappear. Yes, it might damage the paint but I doubt it. That has worked really well for side panels on my BMW R1200C motorcycle, and a lot of us do that retaining cord given a similar problem.
That's a good idea. You maybe able to epoxy the line to the back of the grill on the black part and tie it to a hook or a screw on the inside panel of the scoop.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Screwing the scoop to the factory vent insert in addition to the double sided tape was a common method of installing aftermarket scoops several years ago when they first became available. Its not hard, but takes some time and patience. You can use small pieces of double sided tape to mock up the correct position the scoop will sit on the factory intake part which is just snapped into place.

Then remove the vent and secure it from the back edge to the scoop with small screws. Line the edge of the scoop with double sided tape and then snap it all back in as one piece. It will never fall off even if the tape fails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Screwing the scoop to the factory vent insert in addition to the double sided tape was a common method of installing aftermarket scoops several years ago when they first became available. Its not hard, but takes some time and patience. You can use small pieces of double sided tape to mock up the correct position the scoop will sit on the factory intake part which is just snapped into place.

Then remove the vent and secure it from the back edge to the scoop with small screws. Line the edge of the scoop with double sided tape and then snap it all back in as one piece. It will never fall off even if the tape fails.
This is the right way to do it. I've already tried adhesives/glue only approach and it turns into a mess. The bolt is critical over time, because the adhesive will get tired and grime from the road will work its way in. Currently running with out any add on scoops on my CS. I will add scoops back next year when I do more aero - a front bumper upgrade and a ducktail (if I can find a good one).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts