Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was washing my 09 Boxster today cleaning it up for a DE this coming week and noticed a quarter size bubble on passenger front tire sidewall. Car has 9000 miles on it. Anyone know if that might/should be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is a defect and should be covered by the warranty, more importantly its a safety concern and I would think twice before tracking the car... next step is a blow out. You will really stress the sidewalls on the track. At a minimum get some advice at the DE before driving.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I'd be very surprised if this would be covered under warranty I'm sorry to say. The dealer will say that you hit a pothole to cause this.

Now that you know there is a bubble, I wouldn't even bother going to the DE until that tire is replaced. Even if you can sneak past tech, you don't want anything on your conscience if you get a tire failure on the track and take out another car.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Regardless of whether it's covered under warranty, or if you would pass tech. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TRACKING YOUR CAR WITH THIS TIRE. YOU COULD BE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AND THE LIFE OF OTHERS AT RISK.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kinda expected a mixed verdict on the warranty issue but was looking to set the expectation on what it was going to cost me :)
The dealer is 3 miles from my house and that is the only place i am driving it to till the tire is replaced. Car to shop on Mon, DE on Thurs so I have some time to break it (them) in.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I kinda expected a mixed verdict on the warranty issue but was looking to set the expectation on what it was going to cost me :)
The dealer is 3 miles from my house and that is the only place i am driving it to till the tire is replaced. Car to shop on Mon, DE on Thurs so I have some time to break it (them) in.
Only a specific tire/wheel warranty would cover that.

You can drive on the street for a short distance with a bubble, but that's about it. If you're going to drive longer or harder, tire could fail. Certainly no track.

That said, you could just buy the tire yourself and take it to a good shop. Why go to the dealer to change a tire?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting, I had a bubble on the sidewall and there was no obvious damage from hitting something and I got partial warranty coverage since it was considered a defect... on a VW 20 years ago at a random tire place along Rt 95 on a road trip to Fla.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The tire mfg's won't cover the bubbles on the sidewall. Continental does have a road hazard for the first year or first 2/32" tread depth that would cover them but they are the only ones.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me I had Micheline tires, I had just purchased them no more than 100 miles when I noticed bump on tires was told I must have hit a bump I did not, sales rep told me that Micheline caries a an unwriten road hazard waranty were they only charge 50% of tire cost so we replaced he marked tire were bump was and removed tire. When tire was removed the bump disapeard and their was no sighn of stress on inside and outside of tire so they were replaced under warranty. I would have your tire checked first if you hit a bump you can see it from inside of tire it wiil show cracks on sidewall.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I hit a pothole and the next day the bubble appeared; took it to the dealer who said the tire had failed .... $477.65 to get a new PS2 (including air freight to Hawaii).

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Manufacturing defects don't normally appear in this way and it is very likely to be an impact and a problem made worse if the tyre pressures are low.

It is always worth a try with the dealer anyway, but you are now better prepared for the likely answer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts