Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First-time poster here. I'm looking at purchasing a used, 2014 981 CS over the next few months. I've started pricing worthy candidates and noticed an interesting trend. It seems West Coast 981s are fetching nearly 10% more than similarly-optioned offerings on the East Coast. Is this a supply/demand thing, or are there are factors at play?

·
Registered
781 Posts
When you say west coast / east coast--I think that's vague. I would look into north and south as I'm sure that falls into it as well...for example a car in Florida will be priced different then one in Delaware...

Definitely weather (probably more variability with boxster), supply / demand issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I am sure this is a regional thing. This is why when you look at the BB auction prices cars are priced different based on state.

Even beyond the ragtop thing appropriate for the sunbelt, the Caymans might be tracked and CA is a hotbed for tracks, no?

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
I am sure this is a regional thing. This is why when you look at the BB auction prices cars are priced different based on state.

Even beyond the ragtop thing appropriate for the sunbelt, the Caymans might be tracked and CA is a hotbed for tracks, no?
So based on the OPs post you're saying that "tracked" cars command a higher used price. Have you been drinking the ww888 kool-aide again? :taunt:

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I am only saying that certain cars appeal to different sets of people and people who post in forums is a tiny set of those people. The warm weather states will have more owners wanting ragtops. States with a higher concentration of tracks might appeal more to the people who like Caymans.

The regional differences in prices is very real and reflected in auction prices.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
I am only saying that certain cars appeal to different sets of people and people who post in forums is a tiny set of those people. The warm weather states will have more owners wanting ragtops. States with a higher concentration of tracks might appeal more to the people who like Caymans.

The regional differences in prices is very real and reflected in auction prices.
Regional differences might be applicable; just ask you know who. But I can tell you that tracked cars will have a lower value than non-tracked ones.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, I haven't seen as much difference from warm weather to cold weather states. It really is more of an East-West thing. There are more cars offered at lower prices in states like Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and even New York. California, Oregon, and Washington cars seem to come at a premium.

·
Registered
499 Posts
it 100% has to do with the weather of the place its located at. Colder places will fetch lower prices in the winter, so...better buy now!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Some of the difference may have to do with the options ordered. I bought my loaded 2014 CS with 2400 miles in FL for $64.5k two months ago. And it had $20k of aftermarket upgrades done by the original owner. Also, NE Coast & Midwest have crappy winter weather, so buying demand is low tool spring weather arrives.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wow you got an excellent deal!
Some of the difference may have to do with the options ordered. I bought my loaded 2014 CS with 2400 miles in FL for $64.5k two months ago. And it had $20k of aftermarket upgrades done by the original owner. Also, NE Coast & Midwest have crappy winter weather, so buying demand is low tool spring weather arrives.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Florida does seem like a good place to buy Porsches. This is the second Porsche I've bought here in the past 13 months, and I looked all over the country. Almost went to Nevada to buy a Red 2010 CS with nice options and 1400 miles, but this one was too good a deal to turn down.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The first factor is liquidity. A boat on Lake Michigan is basically illiquid 8 months a year, where a boat in Florida can be sold year round. You can't exactly test drive a Porsche in a snow storm.

The second factor is whether a bonfire of money has been lit in the local market. San Francisco, New York, and anywhere in the midwest that allows hydrofracking of oil is counted in this. You'll see strong demand for new cars in these markets, and upward price pressure on used cars as the inventory turns quickly. Many new cars purchased are not replacing an existing car; it's just an additional car in the household.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Another vote for weather, there is no demand for convertibles in the winter and every day that it sits on the dealer's lot is money loss. Dealer price it to sell so it's usually lower than nice weather places.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The second factor is whether a bonfire of money has been lit in the local market.
This ^.

Plus, what cars are listed at, and what they sell for are 2 different things.

A car in Cali might be listed at $60k when the dealer would be glad to sell it for $55k, but just hopes that some new money walks in the door and has to have it. In the east and south, that car might be listed at $57k... but the dealer would sell it for $55k... so the same selling price, but less wiggle room.

The west cost has enough new money floating around that they don't have to "entice" customers to walk in the door... so they list their cars higher in the hopes that every so often, some new money will pay listed price or close to it. The exception, in several years of watching prices, is Atlanta dealers... they seem to list higher.

Listing higher, also gives a dealer more wiggle room to make a potential customer "feel" like they are getting a good deal. And of course, the local weather affects the listing price, because you have to entice customers a bit more.

Basically, you're not going to have a true $10k price differential across locations, when you can ship a car for $1k.

Reactions: westwest888

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Very true nowadays. The puzzle here is in Central and South Florida where so many people come down in the Fall and leave by late Spring. There are lots of people with money down here wintering. I get the impression there is little demand here from June thru Oct down in FL, or something like that. This is our first full year here in FL in retirement. My hunch is there will be deals here in FL from June thru late Sept. But like so many, we will summer up north in Chicagoland from June till early Oct. So we may never experience a seasonal dip in process, if we keep on going back and forth seasonally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts