Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a small mission to remove the gold crests on my triple black 2006 Boxster S since purchasing it in April of 2009 (the car came with the clear side markers). First I replaced the "upgraded" wheel caps with the colored/gold crest with the "base" silver and black crest version. That left two more gold crests to replace, namely, the one on the hood and the one on the steering wheel. I tackled the latter one tonight.

I purchased an OEM silver crest from an ebay seller for $25 shipped that fits the front trunk handle of a Porsche 356. Before purchasing it, I asked the seller to send me its measurements to make sure that it would indeed fit properly. You can find this seller by searching for "porsche hood crest" on ebay motors.

I had a colleague of mine with experience and the proper tools remove the pin on the back of the crest and rough up the back side a bit. I then cleaned the back of the crest and the one on the steering wheel with 91% isopropyl alcohol. To attach the new crest I applied a dollop of 100% clear silicone to the back of the silver crest and then directly applied it over the one on the steering wheel. I am pleased with how it came out. :)

I took several photos, but they do not do the new crest justice, as it looks much better in person.

My remaining exterior modifications involve the replacement of the four turn signal bulbs and the two side marker bulbs to eliminate the "egg yolk" look.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I forgot to upload the photos!

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I asked Bumper Plugs for this very item last week - they did not have one and told me it would be too difficult with the airbag....

looks great though..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've got an Arctic Silver Boxster and did some similar changes but I bought an OEM airbag with silver crest off eBay and changed the wheel out to a three spoke. I also replaced the wheel caps, that were silver and black with black background colored crest and they look very nice on the turbo twist wheels. I changed side markers to smoke and tail lights to smoke and red LED's, got rid of the egg yoke head lights for all clear. I tried a smoke LED third brake light but it caused my CC to stop working so I went back to red. I'm trying to find someone who makes just a smoke third brake light shell so I can swap the OEM lights into it without having to cut the harness and install a resistor. Your wheel looks good but I would also worry about that crest being imbedded in my forehead if the AB deploys.:cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's not a fan of the colored crest on the airbag. After buying my silver/blue boxster I looked around for a replacement but came up blank. Thanks for posting the info/pics, it looks great. Let's hope you never have to find out what happens when the airbag goes off. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I changed out the hood and steering wheel crests to silver too. The crest for the air bag had the same pin that needed to be ground off. It was the exactly the same size as the original, but I used Gorilla glue. The edges of gold crest are barely noticeable even from an angle.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
now all you have to do is replace that gold crest on the key....it will look like hell in the ignition next to your silver crested steering wheel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank guys for all the positive comments. And I agree with tach miami, in that you have to be fully parallel to the steering wheel to see even the slightest hint of the original crest.

Alan93rsa, BadToTheBox, and Snokng, all expressed some concerns about what might happened if the airbag deployed and a new crest was overlayed on the old. This thought did indeed occur to me, so I undertook some research prior to performing this modification. As one might suspect, Porsche Pete's Boxster Board (PPBB) had several spirited threads on this matter—the one started in October of 2009 was particularly "fun."

Anyway, after reading all this material, examining photos of deployed airbags in Boxsters, and speaking with an informed colleague, I decided that I was willing to accept the risk of this modification. One thing that exerted some influence on my decision is the fact that I wear prescription glasses. I am more concerned about the deployment of the airbag given that my eyeglasses are sitting within centimeters of my eyes and face, but that is just me. This all comes down to one's risk preferences, and as we say in economics, de gustibus non est disputandum. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts