Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just picked up a 09 Cayman last week after searching and learning on here for a while. Since it is snowed in I decided it is time to install my valentine1, do the bose mod, and install sirius radio. I have the cdr-30 and am most likely going to install my stiletto 100 unit, either via a pro-clip, or in the ash tray area of the center console. I have searched on here and saw a few install photos, but cannot find any descriptions about how to install the antenna, or where to run the antenna wire (i saw some photos of the antenna mounted on the cowling and read there is a way to run it through the firewall).

Does anyone have any tips, photos, or ideas that will help me do this?

Also, would it be better to mount the antenna on the roof and run the wire up where the rear hatch opens?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Look for the install article on the PCM w/ nav unit. IIRC it covers mounting the GPS antenna. Similar routing and location can be used for the sat antenna. It's under the plastic molding under the windshield wipers on the RH side.

I don't recall an article on installing a sat receiver but there may be one in there also.

Some have reported reception drop outs with this location. A roof mount would undoubtedly be better but I'm not sure I'd want the bump on top the car.

I should add that I don't know if the '09 is the same as the earlier cars in this regard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I looked it over breifly and will try to read it in depth later. In the photos it looked like the pass through would be behind the stereo, which I do not want to remove so I may have to find another way, but will do what I have to.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
You might do a bit of searching in this forum especially. I believe there's people who have just routed the antenna lead from the under the fairing at the bottom of the windshield through the passenger door and under the dash to the sat receiver. The wire is rather unobtrustive so could be pretty invisible if you're clever about it.

You may end up removing the radio anyway to install an FM input in the radio antenna lead anyway. FWIW my experience with just using the FM transmitter in the sat receiver is dismal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts