Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Sirius dock and play system in my other vehicle. Looking to add it to my boxster. What have members found to be a good location for the antenna. I plan on moving it from car to car, except for the antenna. I also would prefer not to have to take my boxster apart for cable routing.

Thanx

P.S.
I did STFF and didn't find anything of value pertaining to a boxster.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
If you searched I'm sure you found the several Cayman solutions from members. Those should work similarly for the Boxster.

·
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you searched I'm sure you found the several Cayman solutions from members. Those should work similarly for the Boxster.
I did, but since I have a softtop and the cayman a hardtop there are still differences affecting mobility and visibility of wire routing. I believe that the cars, while mostly the same, still offer different challenges as has been pointed out numerous times on this forum.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Look at the couple of different ones that put the antenna under the front cowl. Should be the same for Cayman's and Boxster's and they report it works well. If you cannot find them let me know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Sportster 5 in my '09 Boxster. I put the antenna on top of the plastic panel between the hood and windshield. It works very well. On my '98 Boxster, I had mounted it under that plastic panel near the cabin filter. That did not work as well. I also had tried it on the clamshell in the back where it worked well, but was more visible than in the front.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I have an aftermarket XM unit in my Cayman. The antenna is mounted on top of the plastic cowl between the wipers. Works very well.

·
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Look at the couple of different ones that put the antenna under the front cowl. Should be the same for Cayman's and Boxster's and they report it works well. If you cannot find them let me know.
I did not find those but I believe you are talking about gonzo's pic below.

I have a Sportster 5 in my '09 Boxster. I put the antenna on top of the plastic panel between the hood and windshield. It works very well. On my '98 Boxster, I had mounted it under that plastic panel near the cabin filter. That did not work as well. I also had tried it on the clamshell in the back where it worked well, but was more visible than in the front.

I have a Stratus 5 that I'm installing. Thank you for all your insites.

I have an aftermarket XM unit in my Cayman. The antenna is mounted on top of the plastic cowl between the wipers. Works very well.
Great pic. Thank you. Its hard to STFF for pics on a forum.

Thank you gentlemen. That helped out a lot. Now I will have to STFF and find the way to snake the cable back into the cabin. The least painful way that is.;)

P.S.
My intial thoughts were to mount the antenna on the rollbar, facing out the rear window, behind the headrests. But it would appear that the metal in the softtop might interfere with that location.

OK, my apologies. I used different STFF terms and found some more threads, with pictures, on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. That helped out a lot. Now I will have to STFF and find the way to snake the cable back into the cabin. The least painful way that is.;)
I did the exact same thing with a Stiletto 2 unit. I mounted the antenna on top of the cowl and placed a rare earth magnet under the cowl to keep the antenna in place. Totally reversible and clean, and the magnet has a 40lb pulling force, so that antenna's not going anywhere.

As for routing, you have a few options. You can route the wire through the firewall (there are various threads and articles outlining this) or you can do what I did - just snake the wire around and underneath the passenger side doorsill.

·
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did the exact same thing with a Stiletto 2 unit. I mounted the antenna on top of the cowl and placed a rare earth magnet under the cowl to keep the antenna in place. Totally reversible and clean, and the magnet has a 40lb pulling force, so that antenna's not going anywhere.

As for routing, you have a few options. You can route the wire through the firewall (there are various threads and articles outlining this) or you can do what I did - just snake the wire around and underneath the passenger side doorsill.
Thanx,

I found your thread on the subject. What I've seen about the firewall doesn't appeal too much to me. Tried sticking my hand under the cowl and it barely fit. Wonder if I should use ducttape on the underneath magnet.

EDIT
Senseless BF ramblings; clarified.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I used double-sided tape to hold the antenna in place. So far (about 8 months), no issues with the antenna moving.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Got a Sirius dock and play system in my other vehicle. Looking to add it to my boxster. What have members found to be a good location for the antenna. I plan on moving it from car to car, except for the antenna. I also would prefer not to have to take my boxster apart for cable routing.

Thanx

P.S.
I did STFF and didn't find anything of value pertaining to a boxster.
My Xm antenna is in the passenger compartment, right (passenger) side tucked into the corner by the window,pillar and speaker.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine sits on a small piece of velcro on the dash, tucked up against the windshield. Works great.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Mine is on the top of the plastic cowl fitment between the windshield and back of the hood.

Works well except if you travel too slow under bridges, after which there is a one second or less dropout - but that is true for many of the roof mounts as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey everyone. I have read a lot of threads about this and saw a lot of mixed reviews about under/on top of the cowl. I found a metal bracket under the cowl I can mount it on and also see how you can tape, or if I can find a magnet use that on the cowl. Is this the best place to mount it or should I just run it around the headliner and on the back of the roof (do not want to do this, but will if I have to). Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I've seen the same mixed reviews and can't really offer any suggestion beyond try the cowl first if you don't want to put it on the roof. If under the cowl isn't satisfactory you can always move it. On the roof could leave marks though I've read of someone getting a small scrap of clear bra material to put under it. Hooking up XM is still on my to do list so no first hand experience in the Cayman.

One other possible issue with on roof is the cable. I have the antenna on top of my X5 and had the wire pulled fairly tight. Either wind buffeting or the dealer running it through a car wash has left the connection a little flakey. Wire has to be pulled just so or no signal. Replacing that's on the to do list also. Have to secure the cable in some fashion this time. Something about a cold garage reduces my ambition for some reason anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you. I think I may try it under the cowl and then move it like you said. My only concern is I will have to take the car apart again to rewire it, but hopefully it will work and if not I like your clear bra idea. The paint was my main concern with mounting it on the roof, followed by looks. Thanks again.

·
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Additional related question

Routed my aux-in cable on the driver's side. the power cable is using the passenger footwell power port. Antenna cable is routed under glovebox. the Port for my Sirius radio is situated between center stack and gear shift in the cubby hole.

I cannot seem to get rid of alternator whining through this set up. No matter how I route the cables. Tried different power adapter but got same results.

What solutions has the membership come up with for this alternator whine transmission over cables.

Install is there so it can be easily removed for autocross and DE purposes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts