Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I have a recurring problem with my '08 Cayman - this is different to the usual rattle on the boot that we all know about. It is a "squeeky" rattle sounding in the left rear of the cabin - it is heard inside from the area over the left rear wheel arch. It has been to the Porsche dealer twice to be fixed under warranty, but now the problem has come back again, and before I take it back again thought I should get some other opinions as the guys from Porsche don't seem to be able to do much about it. It sounds like it is quite "deep" into the car as opposed to a plastic squeek problem at the surface.

Interestingly I have found that the problem seems to be worse during acceleration (including very mild acceleration), but I don;t know if this is something to do with just extra vibration or indeed something to do with the actual acceleration (eg engine mount?) There are no mods to the car at all.

Any thoughts?

It is really bugging me - in fact on the whole I have been quite disappointed with the build quality of the car. (not the first warranty issue I have encountered)

Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I had a rattle/sqeaky noise from the same location that you are descibing.In my case i discovered that two of the interior trim pieces where not properly secured where they mate up to each other. I simply uninstalled and re-installed the two trim pieces.It was where the rear tailight is .Hope you find your "problem" and that this helps.One last thing of note to me is that every vehicle i have ever owned has had some area/s of concern or annoyance some i can live with and some i cannot.Do the negatives outway the positives? If they do not i eventually bid the vehicle goodbye.Some problems are inherit some are just that the particular car/truck i have is a P.O.S. My Father use to say some are built on a Monday and some on a Friday.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a clicking sound coming from the left rear area when accelerating, hitting bumps, rough road, etc., and it turned out to be the air filter hitting the inside of the plastic air box. A few pieces of foam tape around the air filter silenced the rattle.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
My first suggestion would be to take the carpeted foam cover on the engine area off first and drive around. The cover deadens a lot of noise. With it off, maybe you can isolate the noise further.

My trouble spot is the right rear strut cover piece. It squeaks and crackles in cold weather.

Take a passenger with you to help isolate the sound also.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've been noticing this sqeak too. I've been driving the car more and more these days as summer is coming and i'm starting to hear sqeaks here and there at speeds over say 70. they're isolated around the plastic trim peices above the rear shocks/springs. I lowered my car with h&r's a while back and i had a slight sqeak on my right rear and while the dealer won''t touch the area out of warranty since i changed the springs, they did put an air compressor around it and lubed it up and the sqeaking disappeard so i thought it was the end of it. recently though i've noticed that the rear is sqeaking too so it sucks. i did change my air filter recently so i think i will check to see if maybe its the air filter and add foam there but yeah, 60,70K cars shouldn't sound like this.

By the way, can somebody recommend an automotive lubricant. I thought perhaps WD40 would do but a friend who is a biking fanatic said that I should never use wd40 as a lubricant since its bad for metal peices and should go silicone. Anybody have any thoughts? I want to spray some lubricant on my rear springs/shocks to see if maybe that's it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts