Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some help with my 2015 CS. I recently got a bubble on my front driver side tire after going over an elevated curbing not designed to go over while taking a turn during an hpde. The impact was similar to hitting a pothole hard or going over one of those small steep speed bumps at a brisk pace. The bubble ended my weekend early. Took the car to the closest dealership to replace the tire and to get them to check for any visibile damage. They replaced the tire and told me it all looks good. However, after replacing the tire, I felt a slight vibration in my steering wheel so took the car in again, got a tech to drive it (he wasn't fully sold but partially agreed that he could feel "something".. said it wasn't alignment though) and got all the wheels rebalanced per his suggestion. Unfortunately, the vibration still seems to be there. It is not intense by any means (I need to look closely at the steering wheel to see it rocking back and forth) and generally only shows up between 50-70. The intensity varies from barely noticeable to somewhat noticeable with type of surface and speed in the 50-70 band.

The dealership told me they road force balanced all wheels and neither the tires nor the wheels appear to be out of round. Any idea what to do next? Are some techs just inept? Should I take it to another dealership or perhaps another race shop (suggestions in Houston area?) and get them to rebalance the front tires and to inspect everything looks ok with suspension components on the side that took the impact? Could it be the tread difference on 1 new tire causing havoc (car only has 4k miles, so other tires - all GY Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s - have good tread)? Or is it just my mind playing games with me after the impact and I am translating great road feel into vibration (slight rythmatic back and forth always around 50-70 surely couldn't be road feel?)? Regardless, I am going to keep stressing over this minor niggle till either I get it solved or some pro/tech knocks some sense into me and tells me that I am being idiotic, so any and all advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sounds like wheel balance whenever its a specific speed range thats the issue .. The test for a true balance is after they balance the wheel have them rotate on the machine and spin it again.. 90% of the time it will show it needs weights. That's because either the machine is out of calibration or they didn't put the weights on the correct spot. It took me a long time to figure this out. if the wheel is in balance it shouldn't matter what position its at on the machine. When i have tires mounted i actually watch and ask them to preform this check. Some time it takes 3 or 4 times to get it to show 0 regardless of the position on the machine. It can be done, if not there is either something wrong with their equipment or the operator doesn't know what hes doing. Road force or not it doesn't matter. i also slip the guy a $20 when the MGR isn't looking for taking the time. When i was doing a lot of track days i was in the tire shop every 4 weeks thats how i figured it out. I had a ton of times the machine would show 0 and the car shook like crazy. The lotus was hyper sensitive to wheel balance. 1/8 OZ out and you could see and feel it .. carl

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Idk how bad is it. Might be the road or normal if dealership doesn't see it a problem...or like you said bad tech. What to do next? Keep pushing the dealership. If they don't resolve it you can talk to manager. If that fails, call porsche customer service.

sounds like a bent rim or unbalanced wheel. A little vibration is normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys.

Carl - that is great info. Wish I had known the first time before I let them balance all wheels (and possibly screw them all). Going to go back and ask the dealership to spin rotate spin till each is 0 in both positions. I highly doubt they put that much effort unless specifically asked.

minthral - appreciate the suggestion. I asked them multiple times if wheel was bent but they said no. Will go back and escalate as/if needed (hopefully won't need to).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts