Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

CGTS with the GTS interior. Drivers seat creaks a little if you move your shoulders side to side. Worst when cold. Can be remedied briefly by folding the seat forward and back again, but soon settles and creaks again.

Any tips on where to lubricate?

Rich

--
MY17 Macan S, MY16 Cayman GTS

·
Registered
27 Posts
This may be the seat belt catch stalk that's anchored between driver seat and transmission tunnel below the center armrest. Mine squeaked a little from day one and it bugged me until I identified the root cause. I am quite obsessive about my automobiles. And I never go applying lubricants nor wrench to anything before determining correct application and consequence. So, I came to understand and then interestingly (to me) accept this little sound. I even feel that I am managing (somewhat) my OCD by acknowledging it. And now it's amost like some small yet personal reassurance from this wonderful little 981 that we are connected.
If this is your issue it should be nothing to worry about. However, I am now a bit disillusioned by my thinking that this was my car's bespoke little response to me whenever I choose to shift my shoulders. And I've had a few British sports cars communicate some uniquely disturbing noises to me over many years of driving. Those conversations never became as cordial as with my Porsches!
Suggestion: Install a highest quality cat-back sport exhaust on your 981 GTS. This just might help to take your mind entirely off of a seat belt anchor squeak!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 18-way seats. Tried moving a few things around, but when cold, it creaks.

--
MY17 Macan S, MY16 Cayman GTS

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have standard full leather seats. I do have the manual seat height adjustment cranked up but not all the way. The seatbelt buckle catch squeaks a little in warm or cool temperatures. Particularly when I shift shoulders/position when buckled in. I have moved the stalk/catch fixture around a little bit on the go but it really does not affect the minor squeak. I think it is simply the buckle catch rubbing harmlessly against the leather seat squab.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '13 Boxster S with full leather interior started doing the 'seat creak' last summer....I've moved the seat position, et al, to no avail...is there a 'seat performance expert' in the house?

·
Registered
78 Posts
My '15 Base Cayman has a squeak on the driver side seat (14 way).
It's actually the air bag cover in the seat that is the source of the noise, and typically makes the noise on warmer days for me.

Try wiggling that cover piece, and see if that is the source of your squeak.

BC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same creak woes me, 15 CGTS with 18-way. Did you ever think about mentioning it to the dealer? my center armrest also creaks like crazy, most likely from elbow pressure is receives from entering the car. I have a oil pan leak and what sounds like a faulty strut bearing that I need to have remedied under warranty so I'll see what the service advisor says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the creaky seat (makes noise when shifting weight) and rattling seat release (makes vibration noise constantly) problems combined in my 2014. I didn’t realize how much it was bothering me until I got them fixed. The dealer fixed the seat creak at my request and it’s completely gone. Apparently there is a service bulletin for some 981s about the seat release levers, they replaced both of mine and the rattling from there is gone too. Before the fix I had a bunch of foam tape under the release handle and it still didn’t get rid of it entirely. Since it was right next to my ear when driving it was beyond annoying. Back to just enjoying driving again!

·
Registered
34,415 Posts
Not to add much to this posting, but I have always felt that the PCM audio being on as soon as the key was inserted was Porsche's way of addressing seat/cabin noise. I haven't figured out a way to turn off noise but I have read about a audio you can download that plays nothing so perhaps that is the answer. Again, no answer - sorry - but some acknowledgement that the issue is nothing easily addressed. Best of luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

The dealer could not reproduce and I have also found it hard to reproduce. Either they oiled something in the seat release handle, or the weather temp change means I'll rediscover next year.

/R

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Had the same problem with my 15 CGTS - took it to the dealer - fix was temporary, squeak returned shortly after. These were the stock seats that came with the car (except leather, not Alcantara). The squeak was loud enough that my passengers would comment on it. I had a bunch of other quality control issues with the car. Kept it for three years before I finally traded it in for a 2018 991.2 GTS. Not a squeak or rattle anywhere - it's the car I thought i was getting when I traded in my 2006 CS (owned since new) for the CGTS. (i.e. the 2006 was perfect - and this car is, pardon the phrase, even more perfect.) This time i went with the 18 ways and the Alcantara and that was definitely the right choice for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.