Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that when I park on an incline, the car slowly creeps down the incline when the motor is off and in gear, in either 1st. or reverse. Even if it's only a few degrees of incline, I have to engage the emergency brake to stop the creep.

I don't notice clutch slippage while driving - even when in 6th gear, throttling up.

Not sure what's causing the creep ... any ideas?

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
125 Posts
You should always use your parking brake every time you park the car.. period... the motor/tranny is not a parking brake... use both and if the e brake is functional it shouldn’t move if your in 1 or R... think of it this way, you can bump start a manual car, so yes it will roll or could... if you have a bad clutch you’ll know it....

·
Registered
111 Posts
What he said. You should NEVER park a manual transmission car without engaging the parking brake. Without the brake, you're relying solely on engine compression and rotation/accessory drag to hold the car in place. Bad idea.

It's also no way to test for a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
low compression won’t attribute to a car rolling easier...
Yes it could... I have experienced it but not in my Porsche and the incline was decent, but it can happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts