Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car since 2010. It could be my imagination, but I feel like the lateral movement while in gear is getting worse. It has a genuine 996/997 short shifter. I watched a great YouTube on fixing slop in a stock shifter using a washer and shim stock but do not think that fix addresses my issue. There is no play at all between the shaft and housing and seems to be no play in the bushings either. There is only a little bit of play between the lateral metal ball and plastic socket that the YouTube person made the shim-stock spacer for. I took a video to show the movement.

a68dM5z3xfo&feature=youtu.be

I tried to embed it above but if that doesn't work, the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a68dM5z3xfo&feature=youtu.be

Video is with car in 3rd gear but it does it in any gear. Is there anything that can be done? I really don't want to buy a $650 Numeric Racing shifter. I assume these are the stock cables, but I do not see that changing the cables would be of any use in this situation either.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
That slop is not in the shifter. Watch the left cable move back and forth about a 1/2". I would guess it is either the cable or the transmission. Our shifters have no gates, they would flop around like a broken joystick without the tension from the cables and tranny.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That slop is not in the shifter. Watch the left cable move back and forth about a 1/2". I would guess it is either the cable or the transmission. Our shifters have no gates, they would flop around like a broken joystick without the tension from the cables and tranny.
Doesn't the cable have to move laterally when you move the stick laterally? Otherwise how could the stick move when you shift gears?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I installed Softronic Race Plenum, had to relocate cables. I wonder if that lessened the tension on them. Maybe I'll go play around with them in the engine bay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.