Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have been looking to buy a Cayman S for a few weeks now. I went to test drive a 2006 6-Speed, and the shifter felt sloppy, but what really had me concerned was 5th and 6th. 5th and 6th felt really far over compared to 1-4. They were also very hard to find. Is this normal? The car has 40k miles on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The 987 gearbox does not exactly have a precision feel, but it's not a bad 'box.
I have driven a bunch of 986/987/996 as an HPDE instructor but I have never driven one where the gears weren't exactly where I expected them. Yes, the throw is a little long, but hard to find a gear? Never in my experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going this week to test drive and see another Cayman S and I should know a little more too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Agree with Highlander. 5 & 6 do feel like they're a long way over to the right, but the gear location should be very precise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I test drove other Cayman S's and the first one definitely would have needed the shifter cables replaced. The 5th and 6th gear on all the 6-speeds do feel like more of a stretch from the throws between 1-2 & 3-4. They are still easily found. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
574 Posts
5th and 6th are a little further to the right of center than 1st and 2nd are to the left of center. If there is a lot of play side to side when in gear, any gear, it is the shifter cables. The ends wear and it gets "sloppy." The best solution is to install Numeric Cup style cables (and a short shifter).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts