Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 base Cayman with a PDK transmission and about 11k miles on it now. I've noticed lately that when I put the car in park and don't engage the hand brake, the car rocks back and forth on the slightest incline until it finally settles. Is this a bit of slop in the transmission? It seemed a lot tighter when it was new. Only 11k miles now and I haven't abused the transmission at all. It makes me feel like I'm in a cheap Toyota or something. Should I have it checked out? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes, there is alot of slop. Mine was like that from day 1. When parking, I got in the habit of applying the parking brake before releasing the brake pedal so it does not rock against the internal pal. Except in my garage, which is level ground. Don't know why they designed so much slop into it, but not a big deal in the big picture, I guess.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, there is alot of slop. Mine was like that from day 1. When parking, I got in the habit of applying the parking brake before releasing the brake pedal so it does not rock against the internal pal. Except in my garage, which is level ground. Don't know why they designed so much slop into it, but not a big deal in the big picture, I guess.
No not a big deal. Just one of those things you wouldn't expect in such a quality built car. If there is a good reason for it, I'd like to know. Maybe I'll start using the hand brake.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Doesn't every car in the world do this? Depending on where the rotation of the pin is when you stop, it has to move forward to the next engagement/locking point.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't every car in the world do this? Depending on where the rotation of the pin is when you stop, it has to move forward to the next engagement/locking point.
Yes but not as far as my car seems to. Even the Xterra I had only moved slightly and didn't rock back and forth. No car I ever had moved or rocked back and forth as much as this one.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yep, there's a tremendous amount of slop in the PDK's parking mechanism. No idea why they did it that way. One of the (thankfully rare) features on our cars that was designed by engineers who take a bus to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts