Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a SmartTOP directly from the distributor to be installed tomorrow (981). I have tried numerous times to use the USB provided to update the firmware/software per the instructions. Each time my Apple Macbook Pro fails to identify the device. There is a known issue with a workaround provided on the Mod4cars website (pasted below). The workaround does NOT work for me. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a ticket in with the manufacturer, but given it's getting installed tomorrow, I need a quick solution. Thanks in advance!

FROM THEIR WEBSITE:
Problem:

When installing m4cconnect on Mac OS Mavericks and connecting the module to the USB port, a connection can not be established.

Under Mac OS Yosemite it may even crash or generate a crash report.

Solution:

This is a known issue. Apple included an incompatible driver which blocks the original driver included in our app. Right now there is only a manual workaround.

We are still waiting on Apple support to fix the problem. Until that happens, this is the only way to make it work:

IMPORTANT: Connect the module to the USB port first.

Start a Terminal session (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and copy/paste the following to the command prompt.

To temporarily disable the Apple driver:

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI

This will allow you to run m4cconnect right afterwards and it should work, until the module is disconnected and reconnected, in which case the command needs to be repeated.

QUICK STEPS FOR YOSEMITE:

1) Connect the module to the USB cord.

2) Click the Magnifying glass (Spotlight) in the top right corner and type "Terminal", press ENTER

3) A new window opens with window title "bash"

4) Copy and paste these exact lines from here into that window (command-c here, command-v in bash)

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI; sudo kextunload -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver

5) Press ENTER

6) At the password prompt, enter your account password if you have ADMIN privileges, otherwise enter an ADMIN passwort. The letters will NOT show while you type. Press ENTER

7) Ignore any error messages

8) Now close the Terminal (bash) window and start m4cconnect. Connect to the module normally.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It works on a Mac using Parallels Desktop... That's the only way I could make it happen.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
This sounds way above my technical skills level... Does anyone else have a work around?
I thought the work around was posted in the first message? It might be easier to just buy or borrow a cheap windows PC and do it, surely someone must have one laying around somewhere... I saw a new windows laptop for $199 in the store last week.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The work around is in the OP. Parallels was just suggested as an alternative. Fusion would work as well (what I used). I'm not sure I'd recommend either of the latter 2 solely for installing the SmartTOP but if you're already using one of them they could be easy options.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
sounds like it does not work on the MAC OS AS.

i would suggest as Ken says, find a PC. i do not run windows on any of my macs...

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
You need this guy to help out... :D

John_Hodgman_380px.jpg

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I'm pretty certain there hasn't been an update to the 981 SmartTop in over a year. Why not confirm with SmartTop if there's any firmware to even update?

Options can easily be changed in-car.

Otherwise, you can virtualize a PC, use a friends, install an older Mac OS on a temporary partition, or wait for an OS update to fix the issue...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Options can easily be changed in-car.
Thanks for the comments. I learned there have been no major updates to the firmware. Nonetheless, I'd still like to change the configuration options from the default to option #4 (top up, windows down). I tried connecting to a PC laptop, but that failed, too. Devising how to change the options in-car via the stalk has proved just as elusive to me (making me feel old).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts