Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've finally picked up my Boxster GTS and will be back in San Francisco soon. I have a very short window before I have to travel again and I need to get my CA registration done. I've already booked a spot in the SF DMV. As I understand, my vehicle will need to undergo a smog check before I visit the DMV.

Can this be done at just any smog check place or should I take it to a Porsche dealer? Are there any recommendations in SF or the Bay Area for the smog check? I'm very new to the whole smog check thing and also the craziness of CA vehicle registration!

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
141 Posts
Technically speak, the smog tech is not suppose to turn a single bolt on the car. They are to inspect it and not execute any work on the car.

Being you have a mid engine car, the engine covers need to be removed so the tech can inspect the engine bay. Some smog places won't care, and they will open the cover. Other smog places will ask that you remove the cover and return. It can be a real unexpected pain in the butt if you are not prepared for it.

Call ahead and ask. See if they will charge you for it. Alternatively, remove the cover before you drive over.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I’ve had good luck with Smog Queen in SF, although not with the Boxster. They really worked to get my Miata to pass after the first test came back bad.

SMOG QUEEN STAR CERTIFIED STATION

My Boxster (2014 Base) has a sticker on the inside of the trunk stating that it has emission devices etc. I’ve read that the on Cayman you have get to the engine for DMV to see a sticker, but I don’t recall reading for the Boxster. Could it be that the Boxster has a visible emission sticker and the Cayman does not?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I just had mine done, Since late 2016, it is no longer required for them to see the engine or emission labels. Some requirement was amended. Now they just plug into the OBD port. They did not even my car on rollers. Much easier now and any place can do it. Also, you do not have to pay the dealers who charged 3x's the cost of a regular Smog Test Facility.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to update everyone: it was pretty easy to get done, they simply connected to the OBD port, cost was around $60-70 (I can't remember the exact amount).

The DMV was also pretty painless for the actual inspection, they simply looked at the sticker on the inside of the trunk lid. But the entire DMV visit itself was a pain. Other than the usual delays of waiting in line several times (even with an appointment and with all the paperwork completed before hand), I had to wait 1.5hrs outside in the carpark for the inspector to turn up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.