Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CS sat in my garage for 5 days while I was on a b trip. Saturday morning I started her up and out came some smoke. Not a lot but noticeable and this has never happened before. I'm sure it has to do with the prolonged sitting.

Has anyone experienced similar?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lighter color; grayish. It was about 70 degrees. There was definitely some water vapor but also some lingering smoke.

I did some research on other sites and they state normal due to horizontal cylinders as Noah mentioned.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Lighter color; grayish. It was about 70 degrees. There was definitely some water vapor but also some lingering smoke.

I did some research on other sites and they state normal due to horizontal cylinders as Noah mentioned.
Research on other sites??? Did it occur to you to search this site???

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...-start-up-thread.html?highlight=smoke+startup

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...ed-w-smoke-start.html?highlight=smoke+startup

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...en2-base-caymans.html?highlight=smoke+startup

Just to name a few! Please us the search function! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
All cars I owned had smoke coming out the exhaust. Colder = more smoke. I don't get all the talk about this being a problem. Hot air with exhaust fumes plus humid cold air = smoke.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It's not a problem. People don't appreciate just how little oil it takes to create a massive amount of smoke. The design of a horizontal engine makes it possible for small amounts of oil to make it into the exhaust and smoke during startup when the conditions are just right. It's always been that way, on everything from Subarus to Testarossas. Unless you see sustained smoking after warmup, or have reason to believe that coolant rather than oil (or just plain humidity) is responsible for the smoke, there's no need for alarm.

I actually like seeing a bit of smoke and catching a waft of hydrocarbons after listening to the engine roar to life when I turn the key. Smoke and noise is politically incorrect these days, and those sensations will be lost in time, probably before we know it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Smoke and noise is politically incorrect these days, and those sensations will be lost in time, probably before we know it.
Wow, a few years ago I heard an old timer pilot speak similar words about his Beech 18 with radial engines. Never thought I would be echoing his sentiments with regards to my car.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Perfectly normal. You have horizontal cylinders, remember.
As Noah said, Boxer engines smoke. It's normal. It's worse with the boxer engine on a BMW motorcycle . . especially if you leave the motorcycle sitting on a side stand. A minute amount of oil drips into the left cylinder and you get a little smoke on startup.

If I back my Cayman out of the garage to wash it and then drive it right back into the garage, the next day when I start it I get quite a bit of smoke. It is perfectly normal.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I did prior to starting this new thread but maybe I should have spent more time browsing through the thread topics.

Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts