Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 987.1 cayman base a few days ago and Im seeing that every cold start, a big cloud of smoke comes out of the exhaust for only a few seconds. I know this is a common symptom for AOS failure, but should I be worried and change it now? If this helps, an oil change was done last week and oil reading has stated that the oil levels are full. Is this only something to worry about if there is an oil leak?

Registered
I don't know about you're neck of the woods, but you might be providing a community service for mosquito abatement.
馃懝
Seriously, that oil is going into the cylinders - fouling the plugs and possibly the cats & O2 sensors. Personally, I'd rather have a leak. I could just put a pan under it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about you're neck of the woods, but you might be providing a community service for mosquito abatement.
馃懝
Seriously, that oil is going into the cylinders - fouling the plugs and possibly the cats & O2 sensors. Personally, I'd rather have a leak. I could just put a pan under it.
The thing is that since I鈥檓 new I don鈥檛 know what to do. I only have the smoke for a few seconds and I read on multiple threads that it is normal for the exhaust to smoke and most threads talking about AOS issues mention smoke until the engine is warm or for 30 seconds. In the service records, the previous owner asked about the smoke and dealer told him that it was normal. For me, the smoke is only there for a few seconds and it only happens when the engine is cold. I鈥檝e also read somewhere that it can happen if the oil is filled up all the way (oil change done a week ago and the oil bar is full), which is why I鈥檓 monitoring this situation closely. There has been no consuming of oil as the oil levels have yet to have dipped down, and I haven鈥檛 seen any leaks from under the car

Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
It鈥檚 normal, mine has always done it... smells to high heaven and cleans up once it warms up.... check oil, drive, try not to worry....And don鈥檛 over fill... best advice, use Joe Gibbs oil... your flat 6 will 馃檹 you

Registered
Granted, mine is a 987.2 2.9L, but mine never smokes except on days when I wash it. That occasionally happens when I start it up just long enough to back it out of the garage. Then I wash it and quickly drive back in and shut off to dry it.
The smoke happens when I take the car out after it has set for a while (I notice it that evening or the next morning - depending on usage). That is the only time I've seen smoke in my 10+ years of ownership. For 9 of those 10 I used M1 0W40. So I had no need to hide the problem with a more expensive oil concoction. Nothing wrong with Joe Gibbs, but if you're using it to hide a problem, might as well pour-in a can of STP.

Flat 6 engines can leak oil through the rings after setting for a while. So maybe your smoke isn't from AOS oil. But those problems are much more expensive to cure.

Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
No, you use joe Gibbs oil because there is less friction and it will run cooler... that won鈥檛 disguise anything...

Registered
I have an 07 Base Cayman that only smokes on start-up if I haven't driven it to warm-up on the previous trip. This normally happens when I back the car out to wash it, then pull it right back in. The next startup will be smokey, not due to oil burning, but due to excess fuel being burned off. Other than that, I NEVER see smoke on startup. The oil level should read one or two bars below the top - the top bar will be lit only if overfilled. Could be the AOS - a quick check of manifold vacuum would confirm. How many miles on the engine?

Registered
I have an 07 Base Cayman that only smokes on start-up if I haven't driven it to warm-up on the previous trip. This normally happens when I back the car out to wash it, then pull it right back in. The next startup will be smokey, not due to oil burning, but due to excess fuel being burned off. Other than that, I NEVER see smoke on startup. The oil level should read one or two bars below the top - the top bar will be lit only if overfilled. Could be the AOS - a quick check of manifold vacuum would confirm. How many miles on the engine?
I have an 08 S and it does this also. Did it at 60,000 miles when I got it and it now has 91,000 miles and stll the same.

Registered
The next startup will be smokey, not due to oil burning, but due to excess fuel being burned off.
Same as me, but I never thought the smoke was from excessive gas (due to the short cold starts). That got me wondering. Wouldn't this cause black smoke or soot?

A quick google found this summary of visible exhaust emissions: from Why Is My Car Smoking?
  1. Water vapor 鈥 It鈥檚 normal. It isn鈥檛 smoke at all, actually. This comes from condensation building inside the exhaust system. It quickly dissipates into the air and there may even be a slow drip of water from the tailpipe.
  2. White Smoke 鈥 Could indicate that coolant has penetrated the combustion chamber. Although coolant contains water, the white is from the coolant, as the water evaporates and becomes steam from the tailpipe. White smoke could indicate the head gasket is leaking, the cylinder head is cracked, or the engine block is cracked. Coolant smoke will often present itself before the vehicle overheats and often has a sweet smell. Once the engine begins to overheat, be sure to take the vehicle to a service center immediately. If the vehicle runs out of coolant, you run the risk of causing severe damage to the engine requiring extensive repairs and/or replacement.
  3. Blue or Grey Smoke 鈥 Is indicative of burning engine oil. You may notice that your engine is consuming more oil but does not show any indication of a leak. This issue could spell trouble and needs to be taken to a trusted mechanic right away. Failure to do so could result in the engine seizing and needing complete replacement.
  4. Black Smoke 鈥 This usually means the vehicle is burning an excessive amount of fuel which could be caused by a leaking fuel injector, defective carburetor, or the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is cracked or broken. Your vehicle will receive poor gas mileage until this issue is resolved so it is best to have a technician inspect the vehicle immediately.
My smoke is white after restarting. I'm not loosing any coolant, so I suspect it is water built-up in the cats, mufflers, or even the pipes. Also, since I'd previously just washed the car. there's a good chance I got water in the tail-pipes that ran down into the mufflers.
Anyhow, it has done this since new, so I'm not concerned.

Registered
I just bought a 987.1 cayman base a few days ago and I'm seeing that every cold start, a big cloud of smoke comes out of the exhaust for only a few seconds. I know this is a common symptom for AOS failure, but should I be worried and change it now? If this helps, an oil change was done last week and oil reading has stated that the oil levels are full. Is this only something to worry about if there is an oil leak?
My 07 only does this occasionally and mainly on real humid days after not being started for a few days. It looks more like condesation burning off than a blue oil looking smoke.

Registered
There have been several threads on the start-enrichment fuel burn off issue. When I saw smoke after start-up the first time (don't recall the color), I panicked and brought the car into the dealer who told me about the fuel burn-off issue. It made sense to me since the cloud of smoke did not smell like oil or coolant (or condensation!), but was very acrid. This does not sound like the OP issue since he sees it every time.

Registered
Some questions to help you triage your symptoms further:
  • Is the cloud of smoke wispy (more like mist)? Or it it thick and hard to see through?
  • How many miles have you driven since the oil change / purchase? Does it smoke every time or just when it's cold outside / morning / evening?
  • If you drove it for 10mi in the morning, parked for a few hours, does it smoke in the afternoon?
I have a 2.7L purchased with 101K miles on it. I've seen the wispy smoke once when I turned it on ~45 degree F and not having used the car for ~2 weeks. These days in the summer I see zero smoke every weekend.

Registered
It may be that your oil is overfilled. What is the level on the gauge? Check when the car is cold, on a level surface. If it is at the top segment, there may be too much in there. Most of us fill to the second-to-the-top segment.

Registered
I just bought a 987.1 cayman base a few days ago and Im seeing that every cold start, a big cloud of smoke comes out of the exhaust for only a few seconds. I know this is a common symptom for AOS failure, but should I be worried and change it now? If this helps, an oil change was done last week and oil reading has stated that the oil levels are full. Is this only something to worry about if there is an oil leak?
here was my experience: My 987.1 S would smoke on start periodically. Prior owner told me it was common issue. I accepted it and just drove it like normal. I changed my AOS at about 65,000 miles to see if that would help. It didn鈥檛. Still smoked. I pulled the spark plugs and found five normal plugs and one plug covered in oil. I then dropped a fiber optic camera into the affected cylinder and I could clearly see 鈥渂ore scoring鈥. If you search for 鈥渃ayman bore scoring鈥 you will find a lot of articles. Not saying that鈥檚 your issue and not saying it鈥檚 terminal if it is...but you should check your plugs for oil if you are seeing smoke. If plugs are clean then you should be fine. I ended up trading the car on a GT4. I tracked it a lot and didn鈥檛 want to risk a major fail on the track. Good luck!

Registered
There is a series of videos by LN Engineering that go over diagnosing bore-scoring. There have been a few threads on actual bore scoring in the larger S engine. I have not seen any threads on the Base engine, but probably not immune, just less common due to bore/stroke ratio. Not sure the OP is still engaged in this discussion, but the first thing he should do is to make sure the oil level is correct.

Registered
My 06 with 88Kmiles does it now and then on cold starts. I got a new AOS as it looks easy to swap out, but still sitting on my bench :) If I had to guess I would say that it depends on where the pistons are after you turn of off will determine if a bit of oil gets past them as it cools = smoke. I would not be surprised to find some cylinder wear, I have over 1000 miles on track. I'm not stress about it as it's not losing oil between changes. I will tell you to not overfill it, come up with a consistent oil level check plan, were it is flat and either cool or hot. I would not want to see the oil level above 2/3 when hot and 7/8 when cold. Overfilling causes foaming = low oil pressure under load and high RPM = rod bearing failures.

Registered
My 09 Base does every once in a while on a cold start especially if it sits for a few days, my 06 S did it seldomly and that was a garage queen vs my base I drive daily. I think it's normal my dad's 993 96 when he bought it new did it. If it does not go away in 30 sec after start look at the oil separator. it only cost 100 bucks and is a DIY.

Registered
perhaps you can try using 5w40 oil to see if it makes any difference? in higher temp e.g. tropical heat I find this oil weight is more suitable.

Registered
you should be running 5w-40 anyway not the factory 0W-40. Replace the AOS anyway, it will fail at the worst time. My first one failed on a road trip in the Sierra Nevada mountains, i lived out of a hotel for a week arranging a 800 mile tow back to San Diego. Not to mention sitting on the side of the road with no cell service in the mountains before someone drove by i could flag down to get me to the hotel back in the nearest one horse town.

Registered
My 09 Boxster smokes every time in a bizzare situation. If one side is one the kerb and the other on the tarmac or any slight incline, it always smokes?!

Can't understand it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts