Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 09 Boxster smokes every time in a bizzare situation. If one side is one the kerb and the other on the tarmac or any slight incline, it always smokes?!

Can't understand it.
I suspect it's because the cylinder bank on the low side of the slope accumulates oil in the combustion chambers due to gravity. When started it has to burn off the excess oil in that cylinder bank.

-RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just bought a 987.1 cayman base a few days ago and Im seeing that every cold start, a big cloud of smoke comes out of the exhaust for only a few seconds. I know this is a common symptom for AOS failure, but should I be worried and change it now? If this helps, an oil change was done last week and oil reading has stated that the oil levels are full. Is this only something to worry about if there is an oil leak?
I will reply with an answer a comment. It is your AOS change it ASAP. Delay will cause fouled plugs and Air sensor failure. My data is based on a sample size of one but it is clear from Googling that AOS and Water pump failure are sad fact of Porsche ownership. After 30,000 miles you have a high probability of these failures. A used 987 should not be considered unless you have 5,000 dollar reserve in place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I will reply with an answer a comment. It is your AOS change it ASAP. Delay will cause fouled plugs and Air sensor failure. My data is based on a sample size of one but it is clear from Googling that AOS and Water pump failure are sad fact of Porsche ownership. After 30,000 miles you have a high probability of these failures. A used 987 should not be considered unless you have 5,000 dollar reserve in place.
Turns out that it only happens if I start the car for a short amount of time to move it across my driveway. Reading others' responses it made more sense that it was excess fuel being burned. Thanks for your concern though if I ever get a water pump/AOS issue I will replace them immediately.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Excess fuel leaking into the cylinder can be an issue which preseeds bore scoring from a single injector not completely closing. The fuel leak goes into that cylinder and on startup dilutes the oil film on that cylinder causing metal to metal contact and eventually bore scoring. The solution is to check your plugs for oil (if found on one plug, most likely its too late to prevent bore scoring), but even before that happens, have your fuel injectors changed. I use injector cleaner about every 4th tank of gas. Jake covers this issue in one of his video's on bore scoring. Some add a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail to see if its holding pressure for 1/2 hour or more, In reality those injectors should hold pressure overnight and if they do leak slightly, hopefully they all leak at the same rate. If one leaks consistently, then you will have an issue with bore scoring someday in that cylinder.

A way to confirm piston/cylinder damage from a fuel leak is to cut open your oil filter and open the accordion paper to find small bits of metal like material. This is a covering from your pistons, which when gone allows metal to metal contact.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts