Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I tried for the first time a hard launch on my '15 2.7, 6MT Boxster with SC. I now have 1850 miles on the car. The car had been warmed up from a previous drive and I restarted it and left it in "normal" mode, ie. not "sport" or "Sport+"
I brought the revs up, probably to 4-5,000, and dumped the clutch. Car launched well, no tire spin. At about 7000 I shifted into second and it quickly hit the rev limiter. Now 7500 rpm in 2nd should mean about 75 mph and I know I was nowhere near that speed, more like 40 mph. I quickly lifted and looked in the rear view mirror and see a lot of smoke and smell the characteristic burning clutch smell.
I drove easily for a few miles and then floored it in 2nd at 3000 rpm and let it run up to 6000. No problem, no sense of slipping. Tried it a few more times later in the day and still no problem.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
IMHO it doesn't take very much to "smoke" a 981 clutch. If I back up my short driveway and slip the clutch the least little bit then I smell a burned clutch. :crazy:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yesterday I tried for the first time a hard launch on my '15 2.7, 6MT Boxster with SC. I now have 1850 miles on the car. The car had been warmed up from a previous drive and I restarted it and left it in "normal" mode, ie. not "sport" or "Sport+"
I brought the revs up, probably to 4-5,000, and dumped the clutch. Car launched well, no tire spin. At about 7000 I shifted into second and it quickly hit the rev limiter. Now 7500 rpm in 2nd should mean about 75 mph and I know I was nowhere near that speed, more like 40 mph. I quickly lifted and looked in the rear view mirror and see a lot of smoke and smell the characteristic burning clutch smell.
I drove easily for a few miles and then floored it in 2nd at 3000 rpm and let it run up to 6000. No problem, no sense of slipping. Tried it a few more times later in the day and still no problem.

Anyone else experience this?
Hi Al,

These cars are not built to have their clutches dumped. I have personally seen a transporter driver completely ruin a brand new 981 Boxster's clutch just getting it off the transporter. In your case, I would guess that the clutch just got overheated from being dumped and so it slipped on your next shift until it cooled down again. I believe this is the case because you experienced no further problems with it. Next time you want to try a hard launch, just let the clutch out quickly and then get on it hard.

Rick

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
125 Posts
At times, I have also noticed a mild clutch smell when backing up an incline or driving spiritedly (I only notice it after exiting the car). The 981's clutch must be a fairly small size/diameter. Fwiw, I am very easy on a clutch. I normally leave the line between 1200 and 1500 rpm and never beat on a car.

·
Registered
583 Posts
At times, I have also noticed a mild clutch smell when backing up an incline or driving spiritedly (I only notice it after exiting the car). The 981's clutch must be a fairly small size/diameter. Fwiw, I am very easy on a clutch. I normally leave the line between 1200 and 1500 rpm and never beat on a car.
I have smelled clutch from time to time. I have driven manual trans cars daily my entire life and it does not take much to get a whiff of clutch. Especially when the car was new. The clutch is 9.5" I believe. But given the tire size and rear traction, something has to slip. Hole shots and Porsches never mix.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Al, funny your experience reminds me of 28 years ago when I tried to launch my 1987 Carrara . Revved it up to 4000 RPM and dumped the clutch. Engine hit the rev limiter and the car creeped away with the clutch smoking. Bottom line I never did it again and the car was fine for the next 4 years and 40,000 miles. Porsches have never been over clutched plus a big rear weight bias means a propensity for smoking clutches. In general get the clutch out then get on it, besides guys our age don't dump clutches ( although I'm still tempted). Carl

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have smelled clutch from time to time. I have driven manual trans cars daily my entire life and it does not take much to get a whiff of clutch. Especially when the car was new. The clutch is 9.5" I believe. But given the tire size and rear traction, something has to slip. Hole shots and Porsches never mix.

Actually, what's odd is the smell isn't really the classic clutch burning smell, IME. It almost smells more like heated rubber than clutch. Maybe they're using a new or different clutch friction material.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
That is hilarious. Why would you do that? You are only damaging your car for no good reason. lol.

I did that a couple times when I was 17 in a 1977 Honda Civic.

Seriously. No judgment at all. Have fun :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts