Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cayman in snow A.jpg
I have to say that the Michelin Alpines do a great job in the snow. Heavy wet and ice underneath today. I might have been doing a few donuts at the school earlier today.
The 11 Cayman S is going to be my daily driver and I am impressed at the ability to go. Also the PDK works well for this type of driving.
Hint - leave the PSM on.
Bill K
Northeast PA

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is a howl - I went to "no season" continental DSWs over the summer to be able to have the occasional snow day and to get the car to be less stable around corners

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great to see you use your car no matter what the weather! (up to a certain point, like 6 feet of snow). Modern "hi tech" snow tires are amazing. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Love that picture. I do have to ask what your experience has been like over snowy but traveled roads. Last time I drove a Porsche in the winter doing snow the car handled just fine, in fact I think it was amazing, but I had lots of problems when driving over a snowy road that had not been plowed. Because of the low ground clearance and as a result of other cars having already traveled on the road there were these deep tracks in the snow that you followed. The problem was the high center would scrape on the front spoiler and bottom of the car. I once destroyed a fiberglass air dam spoiler because of this high snow in the center of the lane. Only regret with snow driving and Porsches.

Edited for typos.

View attachment 53347
I have to say that the Michelin Alpines do a great job in the snow. Heavy wet and ice underneath today. I might have been doing a few donuts at the school earlier today.
The 11 Cayman S is going to be my daily driver and I am impressed at the ability to go. Also the PDK works well for this type of driving.
Hint - leave the PSM on.
Bill K
Northeast PA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I did get into a couple of spots where the road was drifting over, Wind was up and last nights snow was powder. The car did well but it is too low for anything deeper than 6" of powder or 4" of the heavy stuff I think.
When it gets deeper or snowing pretty good I will break out the F150 4x4 tow vehicle.
Most of the time though we only see 1 to 2 days of accumultion in a week. The rest are Porsche days. Also in this area we see a fair amount of snow days from either lake effect snows or the Nor'easters and a little more elevation than the towns around us.
Bill k

1 - 5 of 5 Posts