Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys can I ask for some general help on using my 986 S. It's my first sports car and I want to make sure I'm getting the most from it.

170k miles but 2 owner car with all the service records.
Paint: good condition, new tires

I'm also planning to keep the car long term as I think, rights and wrongs of the body shape aside, the 986 has potential to be a classic in 40 years time.

Firstly what's the verdict on high octane fuel? should I use 87, 89 or 91?
I have been putting in 91 octane since I bought it.

Oil change: I'm sticking to 0w-40 Mobile 1 based on what I've read on this board, Full synthetic at walmart costs me $60 for 2 5Quarts.. I've been told that it takes 10 quarts. can someone please validate this?
How often should I be doing oil changes? I've heard every 5k, 7k, 10k on these cars. I don't want to take any chances with IMS failure. Please advice.

Question about gear speed:
When I am going at a low speed, Gears automatically change to manual in dashboard showing that I'm running in 2nd? is that normal?

Car is little noisy at low speed but I guess this is standard for all porsche.

I'm in bay area, california and I have some mods that I'd like to get started on. Are there bay area boxster or porsche enthusiasts on this forum that would like to help me? hold my hand and show me the ropes! ha
I have ordered exhaust and am thinking about ordering headers as well at the moment.

Much Appreciated everyone's help in advance.

803 Posts
Hello Champion510!

Welcome to the community! I would love to help answer any questions you may have, especially in regards to performance and sound on your 986 S. What did you have in mind?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hi and welcome. First off if you have a 1997 model you do not have an "S," they did not come out until 2000. As far as fuel and oil that opens a Pandora's box of opinions that will go on ad nauseam. I've owned my '99 for five years and used 0-40 wt Mobile 1 until I had the IMS replaced with the LN bearing and switched to 5-40 Mobile 1 at LN's recommendation. As far as fuel I use 91 and 89 octane and notice no difference in performance or mileage. The ECM adjusts for octane automatically to prevent any damage to the motor.
Do you have a Tiptronic or a stick?
Be aware that mods, in California, must meet specific APC guidelines and have a validated EPA sticker or your car will not pass the visual inspection when smogged.
Mods that will not affect you car are suspension and in that respect I recommend the ROW M030 suspension upgrade and the Big Red brake upgrade. Your car will handle and stop a lot better. I live in Pacific Grove and if you want to pm me I'll help you if I can but I'm not a hand holder and don't kiss on the first date.:hilarious:

Guys can I ask for some general help on using my 986 S. It's my first sports car and I want to make sure I'm getting the most from it.

170k miles but 2 owner car with all the service records.
Paint: good condition, new tires

I'm also planning to keep the car long term as I think, rights and wrongs of the body shape aside, the 986 has potential to be a classic in 40 years time.

Firstly what's the verdict on high octane fuel? should I use 87, 89 or 91?
I have been putting in 91 octane since I bought it.

Oil change: I'm sticking to 0w-40 Mobile 1 based on what I've read on this board, Full synthetic at walmart costs me $60 for 2 5Quarts.. I've been told that it takes 10 quarts. can someone please validate this?
How often should I be doing oil changes? I've heard every 5k, 7k, 10k on these cars. I don't want to take any chances with IMS failure. Please advice.

Question about gear speed:
When I am going at a low speed, Gears automatically change to manual in dashboard showing that I'm running in 2nd? is that normal?

Car is little noisy at low speed but I guess this is standard for all porsche.

I'm in bay area, california and I have some mods that I'd like to get started on. Are there bay area boxster or porsche enthusiasts on this forum that would like to help me? hold my hand and show me the ropes! ha
I have ordered exhaust and am thinking about ordering headers as well at the moment.

Much Appreciated everyone's help in advance.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Hi and welcome. First off if you have a 1997 model you do not have an "S," they did not come out until 2000. As far as fuel and oil that opens a Pandora's box of opinions that will go on ad nauseam. I've owned my '99 for five years and used 0-40 wt Mobile 1 until I had the IMS replaced with the LN bearing and switched to 5-40 Mobile 1 at LN's recommendation. As far as fuel I use 91 and 89 octane and notice no difference in performance or mileage. The ECM adjusts for octane automatically to prevent any damage to the motor.
Do you have a Tiptronic or a stick?
Be aware that mods, in California, must meet specific APC guidelines and have a validated EPA sticker or your car will not pass the visual inspection when smogged.
Mods that will not affect you car are suspension and in that respect I recommend the ROW M030 suspension upgrade and the Big Red brake upgrade. Your car will handle and stop a lot better. I live in Pacific Grove and if you want to pm me I'll help you if I can but I'm not a hand holder and don't kiss on the first date.:hilarious:
Yes, I was going to point that out about no S that year, but you beat me to it.

On my 01S, it was said to be important to change the water pump preemptively because when the bearing wore bits of plastic would be torn off the impeller, clog passages, and cause localized overheating and failure.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

As already mentioned, you may want to consider using a slightly thicker oil given the mileage your car has covered. 5W/40 would be ideal. Iirc the oil capacity is about 8.5 litres. As for frequency of oil changes I go for one every 12 months/5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If you are going to do your own oil change it is critically important to follow the Porsche oil change procedure otherwise you can over fill the oil. The procedure is in your manual and the critical part is allowing the oil to drain for 20 minutes so the sensor in the oil tank clears itself that way you will get a correct reading, on the LED readout, when you begin to add new oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts