Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the new car to work today so I could stop by the dealer to have them change a programmable setting. Took about 10 minutes and they offered a bottle of water while I waited. They were out of basic waters so I took one of what was left. Work done I headed home.

Sitting at a stop light, took a drink of water. This guy in a Subaru in the turn lane gives me the stink eye and mouths “a$$hole”. At first I’m confused, but then I realize I’m sitting in a shiny new Porsche Cayman drinking a Perrier. So I AM an a$$hole. Cracked me up. Gave him a nod and a thumbs up.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't understand the vitriol towards people with nice cars. I've always been excited for and towards people with a really hot sports car, not resentful. That might be part of being a "car person" - I'm not sure.

Reactions: BryantH

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't understand the vitriol towards people with nice cars. I've always been excited for and towards people with a really hot sports car, not resentful. That might be part of being a "car person" - I'm not sure.
Probably why we have nice things and they don't. It seems to me like people who are happy for other peoples success are more successful themselves. I see people with nice things and I excited for then and want those things too so it makes me work that much harder. I think a lot people see people with nice things and have the opposite reaction, they get resentful, jealous, and down on themselves and that attitude perpetuates its self.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Perfect!

Most people think that you (we) somehow took money from them to get what you (we) have. This is the difference between vicitms and dooers.

Nice job.

·
Registered
794 Posts
When I drove my Inka (orange) 1973 BMW 2000 touring with big rally lights, etc., every gave me a thumbs-up because it was a unique and cool car. Sold it and bought a 993. Drove the same. Dressed the same. Was the same person. Still got one-figured salutes, just a different finger. Porsches get reactions, plain and simple. Mostly negative.....

Reactions: Alpha.GT4

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Had issues this morning driving to work, I was in the right lane and a beat up Honda accord was on the left lane. He immediately changed to my lane b/c the lady in front of him was driving speed limit. He was on my bumper, thought he was going to hit me. Stayed on my rear for a long time before changing lanes, when he drove by I looked at him and said, "WTF is your problem!" He mumbled something in response. Nobody tailgates me when I drive the minivan or SUV but seems to get this a lot when driving the Porsches. Sad people

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gave him a nod and a thumbs up.
Reminds me of a story I heard on another board. The gist of it was that a Mustang filled with young-ish louts, complete with backwards-facing ball caps, did something idiotic in front of the storyteller (who was in a convertible). They ended up next to each other at the next lights and he looked over, caught the driver's eye and proceeded to give him a big thumbs-up (complete with cheese-eating grin). The driver, now confused, snarled "What was that for?". Replied the convertible driver "My mama always told me to encourage the mentally retarded when they're trying the best they possibly can". The Mustang driver scowled and might have given a rejoinder, except that he was drowned out by the hoots and chortles emanating from his passengers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
perrier water is gross, he may have been commenting on your water choice, not your car choice. Glad you took the high road here, I'm guessing he felt like the asshole when you thanked him for his thoughts :)
Wait I just thought about it, you didn't have your collar "popped" did you, that would be justification alone!!!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I've never had a bad comment or negative reaction to the car. Smiles, compliments, thumbs up, even indifference, but that's about it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One of the times I took out my car before I sold it I came back from running an errand and realized someone poored coffee all over the trunk. Another time my wife and I came out from a furniture store and someone had put a used diaper inside the car. Last day I had it, getting some lunch before turning it in, some guy walks by as I'm getting in and says "nice car!" The last one hurt worse because I had to give up the keys 10 minutes later. Now its someone else's "nice car!" I've never had as many reactions from people as I did with my Porsche. It was an amazing experience...even with the bad.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Seriously wtf is up with people hating just because I drive this car. Pisses me off when people try to cut me off or box me In when driving.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This is why I live in wealthy zip codes. It makes it okay to be a 5%'er.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I haven't gotten any bad looks yet, but lots of "How's that kid afford that car" looks.

I just try to not make eye contact and hide back the smile.

Reactions: BlackBehr

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've never had a bad comment or negative reaction to the car. Smiles, compliments, thumbs up, even indifference, but that's about it.
Same reactions as Stan. I've also noticed a lot of bystanders turning their heads and watch as I go by. Not sure if that's good or bad. :thanks:

·
Registered
475 Posts
How dare you buy something nice with the money you have worked hard to earn...then drive it in public...in front of other people !!!

A$$hole!

Reactions: Turborascal

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The other day I was stopped in a two lane turning lane, waiting at a light to enter a parking lot. On my right was a jacked up, tricked out something, with two Latino guys in it dressed in black. The driver looked over at me. I expected some nasty remark, but what I got was a big smile and a thumbs up. I laughed and gave him a thumbs up right back. So .... still no bad incidents.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did you hear it? Or just read his lips?

Couldnt he have said " thats cool" ?

Nice you didnt chase and whip him after all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429758882.188307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts