Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call Porsche roadside, they want to tow it to the dealership. I felt overkill. Called the dealership service. Service manager says yah, overkill most likely and to at least try to jump it and drive it for 40 minutes.

Call back Porsche Roadside, ask them if they can send a smaller truck to just jump it. They send the large flatbed anyway.

Flatbed gets here and cant' get in my driveway. They're going back for a smaller truck now. I hope this local tow company knows where the battery relocation things are in the first place.

Now if they can't jump it, I don't know how to tow this since they can't get the flat bed down the long driveway. ??

All this because Porsche doesn't have auto-off lights and I'm not used to it. DAMN DAMN DAMN.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Its time to get out your owners manual. The tow company probably won't be able to jump it because with a dead battery, you can't open the hood. There is a manual work around that involves removing the LF wheel. The other method is to locate the pull-out positive terminal that resides in the fuse box. Both methods are detailed in the manual. Another issue is that the key may not be able to be removed. Once you get some charge or jump this will be O.K.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
There's no need for a tow truck - just recharge it with a $20 battery charger.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Open the fuse box in the driver's foot well and you'll likely see a paper diagram in there for the fuses. You'll see one red terminal (also shown on the paper instructions) which you pull out so it sticks out about 3/4". Take a basic battery charger and attach the negative to the body, i.e., the bright metal door latch on the driver's side. Attach the positive to the red terminal that you've just pulled out. Plug in the battery charger and, if there's a separate switch to turn it on, do so now. Then, try to pop the hood electrically. You should have enough juice to do so. Put the paper back into the fuse box cover, push the red terminal in and close the fuse box. Connect the charger to the battery (negative to hood latch, positive to battery terminal) and let the car charge for a couple days. Then take it out and drive it for a while. Should be OK unless your battery is totally shot or ready for replacement.

I know all this because I recently did it on my 2005 S. Of course, I then neglected to drive the car sufficiently or connect the Porsche trickle charger to keep things humming, so the battery is once again dead. Time to start over at the beginning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts